Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was suppose to come Tuesday but arrived on Monday!

Its been a great learning experience getting it setup. I now have a better understanding of exactly what a good LBS does to get a bike ready and on the floor. And I'm really happy I went with the IBEX instead of a LBS. Seams like doing the setup and fine tuning myself has been the right way to really know my new bike.

My inch pound torque wrench has come in handy setting up the BB7's, headset, and installing the pedals.

Setting up the BB7's per their manual really got me up to speed on them. Although they would have worked as installed from the factory, they weren't right by the book, and I, having decided to torque the rotors myself, I managed to find one rotor bolt that was a few turns shy of being tight, so that was great because that could have backed out later and caused some damage. The brakes are hair triggers now, and they are set up right.

The rear derailleur needed the low stop set, and the indexing adjusted for smooth shifting.

The only other thing I've found that could remotely be a concern and its funny even mentioning it because its sooo nit picky, but the sweet little logo / badge on the head tube, is pealing up on the outer edges. You can push the badge down and it'll stick for a couple of minutes but then ultimately it will pop back up on both sides. I just hope that if it ultimately is going to fall off, that I will notice before it does, so I can take it off, clean it all up, and reapply it with new mounting tape.

Rest assured, in no way am I trying to bag on the ibex's assembly or setup. Someone with no mechanical ability could have set it up and have been riding in minutes. So the derailleur may have barked a bit, a person with no mechanical ability would have ignored it or found a friend to help them out. I just wanted to post up in here and say that this was the right way to go for me, and I happy to have dug into all the details of the setup in order to really know my bike.

Now, my first pair of clip less shoes arrives tonight so its time to start practicing entering and exiting. As well, with the temps finally cooling off in Minnesota, I’ll get to hit some trails this weekend and actually ride the new bike.

Thanks Ibex.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nice write up

Thanks for sharing a good honest review on the process. Glad to hear you're happy with the bike. It's a great bike and an absolute steal at it's current price!

Please share some pics and a review on your fist ride, too.

Bob

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Congratulations on your TC-X7....

ninjanick said:
It was suppose to come Tuesday but arrived on Monday!
Its been a great learning experience getting it setup. I now have a better understanding of exactly what a good LBS does to get a bike ready and on the floor. And I'm really happy I went with the IBEX instead of a LBS. Seams like doing the setup and fine tuning myself has been the right way to really know my new bike.
My inch pound torque wrench has come in handy setting up the BB7's, headset, and installing the pedals.
Setting up the BB7's per their manual really got me up to speed on them. Although they would have worked as installed from the factory, they weren't right by the book, and I, having decided to torque the rotors myself, I managed to find one rotor bolt that was a few turns shy of being tight, so that was great because that could have backed out later and caused some damage. The brakes are hair triggers now, and they are set up right.
The rear derailleur needed the low stop set, and the indexing adjusted for smooth shifting.
Thanks Ibex.
Great write up and I'm glad to hear your meticulous on the whole set-up.
Most people just throw things together :madman:

I'll be waiting for your ride report and pictures, I've yet to see any photos of the Trophy X7 other than the one on the web site. The bikes always look even better once they find a home.

Enjoy your ride :cornut::D

Jake :ihih:

PS. Welcome to "the Clan" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Jake Pay said:
Great write up and I'm glad to hear your meticulous on the whole set-up.
Most people just throw things together :madman:

I'll be waiting for your ride report and pictures, I've yet to see any photos of the Trophy X7 other than the one on the web site. The bikes always look even better once they find a home.

Enjoy your ride :cornut::D

Jake :ihih:

PS. Welcome to "the Clan" :thumbsup:
I threw mine together, but that is all it needed ...everything was already adjusted( less the front brake)...Lucky for me:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mrpercussive said:
Was the courier fedex also???
Yup.

Well, update. I finally rode it, just around the neighborhood, I love it. Pedals are no problem, I like it, thinking about tightening them up even more.

I was a bit delayed in getting it on the road this evening. In my haste to finally air up the tires I got crazy with the valve stem on the rear tire. This is my first time dealing with presta valves, I got a little spastic and I unscrewed the lock nut all the way off the valve, and then the valve itself disapeared, I think it blew into the tube. So, off to the LBS I went to pick up some tubes and levers. An hour later, I know that much more about presta valves, and how to replace a tube. DOH!

I'll snap some pictures this weekend once I finally get it out to the trail in some day light.

·
Registered
739 Posts
ninjanick said:
Yup.

Well, update. I finally rode it, just around the neighborhood, I love it. Pedals are no problem, I like it, thinking about tightening them up even more.

I'll snap some pictures this weekend once I finally get it out to the trail in some day light.
Pictures are great, I am sure CMC and Jake Pay will love those .... as far as the pedals go, keep them loose the first 5 or so time you ride in the trails... when you are going up a hill or you just plain forget, those pedals will seem super tight!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A little over a month update...

So I live in Minnesota and don't own lights so my opertunties to ride aren't that great right now, but I have had it on on the trails probably a half dozen times now. Sorry, still no good pics, let me get er a bit more dirty before I start snappin pics. Yesterday I went over the bars on it for the first time, hooked a nice root real good on the chain ring and then washed out the front in the snow, that was fun, pretty sure I even got out of both pedals. Knock on wood, I'm doin pretty well with clipless, especally considering I'm learning in the snow!

So, question, the little plastic spacer between the seat post clamp and the seat post clamp cam lever broke and fell out, so I just tightened the seat post clamp up that much more, but with out the plastic spacer the seat post clamp doesn't work well, with all the binding and gauling of the mating aluminum surfacses. Is there any chance in hell of finding just the spacer, or do I suck it up and just pick up a new seat post clamp?

Also, the wheels are starting to break in nicely and break noise is becoming very abundent, do I pay the LBS to true em, or do I buy a spoke wrench and give em all a nice even snug? Any tips tricks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
ninjanick said:
So, question, the little plastic spacer between the seat post clamp and the seat post clamp cam lever broke and fell out, so I just tightened the seat post clamp up that much more, but with out the plastic spacer the seat post clamp doesn't work well, with all the binding and gauling of the mating aluminum surfacses. Is there any chance in hell of finding just the spacer, or do I suck it up and just pick up a new seat post clamp?
Thanks!
I looked at the little plastic thingy - and if I'm looking at the right part - you gonna have to get a new clamp - or maybe email tech @ Ibex and see if they'll have pity on a new customer:sad: and send a new one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Latest Update: MN is in a major thaw, so all off road stuff is off limits, sloppy mess. So, been on a couple of paved trail rides, hard on the knobbies, oh well.

Anyhoo, post ride inspection tonight showed the non drive crank arm floping around, WOW, I didn't even feel it. So, the bike didn't come with any info on the fireX crankset or bottom braket, and that stuff is all new to me, so I went to SRAM's site and got filled in. Cool stuff, it took awhile for the self extrator to make sense to me, but I got it. Anyhoo, I took it all apart, cleaned up the dirty grease, regreased, got out the torque wrench, and put it back togeather.

Also, I greased the seat post clamp's mating/binding surfacses and it works pretty good. As well, back when the plastic bushing first broke I did leave a voice mail with ibex service, and never heard back. To be fair, in my voice mail, I did let them off the hook, and basically told them if I was SOL they didn't need to call back. I guess I was slightly disapointed, but not all that surprised they didn't call back. The problem doesn't come close to registering as a major issue, which I belive they would have quickly responded to. Also, I have to take some responsability for it breaking, it was after all cold out, like teens, and I porbably had it too tight,

·
Registered
739 Posts
ninjanick said:
Latest Update: MN is in a major thaw, so all off road stuff is off limits, sloppy mess. So, been on a couple of paved trail rides, hard on the knobbies, oh well.

Anyhoo, post ride inspection tonight showed the non drive crank arm floping around, WOW, I didn't even feel it. So, the bike didn't come with any info on the fireX crankset or bottom braket, and that stuff is all new to me, so I went to SRAM's site and got filled in. Cool stuff, it took awhile for the self extrator to make sense to me, but I got it. Anyhoo, I took it all apart, cleaned up the dirty grease, regreased, got out the torque wrench, and put it back togeather.

Also, I greased the seat post clamp's mating/binding surfacses and it works pretty good. As well, back when the plastic bushing first broke I did leave a voice mail with ibex service, and never heard back. To be fair, in my voice mail, I did let them off the hook, and basically told them if I was SOL they didn't need to call back. I guess I was slightly disapointed, but not all that surprised they didn't call back. The problem doesn't come close to registering as a major issue, which I belive they would have quickly responded to. Also, I have to take some responsability for it breaking, it was after all cold out, like teens, and I porbably had it too tight,
glad you got it working, welcome to the ibex family

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.