Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Any must-have accessories?

I would like to get new pedals but not sure i want to try clipless yet.

Also, I kinda want some high rise bars. Any advice/suggestions?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Pick up a chain guard. It looks like you've already got a little scratch. If you ever plan on selling it, you don't want that area to be all beat up.

Congrats- ride and enjoy!! Upgrade your pedals when your ready. As for the handlebars, if you were fit at the BS, you may not want to change your geometry.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Coop. Where is the scratch? And can you recommend a chainguard or are they allt he same? I'm still new to this so I am a bit lost on some things.

The bike shop didn't "fit" me per say. They do have a special kit and computer software to fit road riders. As far as me, one of the guys just went out to the parking lot and watched me ride around and make suggestions and seat adjustments. I rode an F5, 29'er 4 and the F4. I just wanted to see if a high rise bar would make it a littel more comfortable. Not that it uncomfortable now, just trying different things.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
The scratch is above the A in Dale and as far as chain guards go I think that they are all pretty similar. Mine happens to be a lizardskins one or you could rig something up...just saw a post about this check a little down the beginner page. You might want to also pick up a small hand pump that you can mount on the bike and a spare tube or two in case of any flats out on the trail. Enjoy the new bike.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Coop29 said:
Pick up a chain guard. It looks like you've already got a little scratch. If you ever plan on selling it, you don't want that area to be all beat up.

Congrats- ride and enjoy!! Upgrade your pedals when your ready. As for the handlebars, if you were fit at the BS, you may not want to change your geometry.
Never new this. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
bwheelin said:
Anybody have a chaingaurd recommendations?
Chainstay protector, actually...
The Lizardskins one is the first one that comes to mind. An old inner tube, cut into a suitable strip, wrapped around the chainstay and fixed with tape or zip ties probably does a better job but does not look as nice.

You do have helmet and gloves already?

Next thing: pump, a couple of spare tubes, patch kit, tyre levers, multi-tool.

·
responsible zombie owner
654 Posts
Judging by those close-up photos, you are in love! Good for you.

>First thing to do, if you're going to ride off road, remove the reflectors.

True, but if you're planning on using the bike on the road at dusk or at night at all, leave the reflectors on and get some decent lights too. I want to take all the reflectors off my main offroader but i do find myself on the road at twilight so it makes more sense to leave them.

>Second, that water bottle has to go.
And thirdly...accessorize.
Helmet, gloves, padded shorts, shoes, tire repair kit...etc

x2. Get a little case to go under the saddle for the essentials. If you do any sort of distance get a camelbak or equivalent for water. You can get a decent pack for $20 or so.

Ride the bike till those pedals are scratched to bits (encourage them if necessary) then go clipless.

What's the deal with the fork?

·
2,677 Posts
bwheelin said:
Anybody have a chaingaurd recommendations?
I know someone mentioned a lizardskins.
Please don't waste your money on a chainstay guard. They're a waste of money and don't really stay on.

Take an old tube, cut it length wise in half, wrap the tube around the chainstay and zip tie it tight,

You just made a free, better chainstay gaurd than spending $9 on a crappy Lizard Skin.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Qatarbhoy said:
Judging by those close-up photos, you are in love! Good for you.

>First thing to do, if you're going to ride off road, remove the reflectors.

True, but if you're planning on using the bike on the road at dusk or at night at all, leave the reflectors on and get some decent lights too. I want to take all the reflectors off my main offroader but i do find myself on the road at twilight so it makes more sense to leave them.

>Second, that water bottle has to go.
And thirdly...accessorize.
Helmet, gloves, padded shorts, shoes, tire repair kit...etc

x2. Get a little case to go under the saddle for the essentials. If you do any sort of distance get a camelbak or equivalent for water. You can get a decent pack for $20 or so.

Ride the bike till those pedals are scratched to bits (encourage them if necessary) then go clipless.

What's the deal with the fork?
Even if I was riding at night I'd leave the reflectors off and wear some kind of reflector belt or something on my body, or light. As a noob, once I was advised to get rid of the reflectors, I can't see myself riding with them on. I'd rather have lights.
That's just me. ;)

·
responsible zombie owner
654 Posts
Every little helps. Reflectors alone are useless but even with lights you cna be almost invisible to a motorist. When you drive you know how difficult it can be to see cyclists even with lights. Reflective gear helps a lot, but most of my cycling clothes aren't bright colours or have reflective strips, so I've kept the reflectors on up to now. As it's very hot where I live I often find myself cycling home at dusk which is a dangerous time to be out.

People used to be told not to wear helmets but attitudes are changing. Something that makes you safer shouldn't be seen as a sign of noobness.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Qatarbhoy said:
Every little helps. Reflectors alone are useless but even with lights you cna be almost invisible to a motorist. When you drive you know how difficult it can be to see cyclists even with lights. Reflective gear helps a lot, but most of my cycling clothes aren't bright colours or have reflective strips, so I've kept the reflectors on up to now. As it's very hot where I live I often find myself cycling home at dusk which is a dangerous time to be out.

People used to be told not to wear helmets but attitudes are changing. Something that makes you safer shouldn't be seen as a sign of noobness.
Your're right. It shouldn't be a sign of noobness, but my bike looks better without them.
There's plenty of reflector type material out there that can be used without the use of reflectors. The stripes that are on fireman coats, to me, are the best.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Qatarbhoy said:
Frankly i'm hoping my remaining reflectors fall off on their own. that way i have a cooler looking bike without feeling guilty about taking them off...
Convince yourself the bike will be an ounce lighter without them.
Just kiddin. Whatever blows your skirt up. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think clear hockey tape would work for the chainstay protection. It is clear and slightly stretchy, you could even do more than one layer if you wanted, and you still get to view the paint underneath. That is my plan anyhow...

Have fun with the new bike, I know I have been.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all of the input so far.

The "scratch" is really just a reflection from the flash of the camera but thanks for the advice of the chainstay/gaurd. I would just do the intertube but I don't have any old ones. Any other way of fabricating one? I guess I can go down the the local shop next week and see if they have any old scrap ones to use.

I'd really like pedals to be next on the list (besidespump/tubes/tools). I already have a camelback, gloves, helmet. My foot slips off the pedals just ring around the block. they are horrible.

I don't want to remove the refelctors yet because i will ride mostly around the neighborood during weekdays and that will probably be late in the evening. If I run across some refelctive tape/gear then I may reconsider.

How about high rise bars??? Has anyone switched to them and what benefits were there?

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
de8212 said:
How about high rise bars??? Has anyone switched to them and what benefits were there?
It is personal preference.

I like my bar a little below seat level.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.