Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to need a 10mm washer/spacer for each side. The bolt on Atom Lab GI hub I put on my Bullit has the axels sticking out about 7mm too long to put the Go Nuts on. LBS has washers/spacers but not sure how thick, gonna czech tomorrow.

For you bolt on hub users : A ? "How much axel do you have stuck out past the nut"???

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after czechin' a'lil closer its about 5mm of space between the frame & the gonut. See standard nut pic for how much axel sticks out w/the standard nut on it. I gots'a have spacers. 'Bout 7mm of spacer each side.

Attachments

·
I lean like a cholo!
452 Posts
Break out the dremel

man w/ one hand said:
after czechin' a'lil closer its about 5mm of space between the frame & the gonut. See standard nut pic for how much axel sticks out w/the standard nut on it. I gots'a have spacers. 'Bout 7mm of spacer each side.
Break out the dremel and cut those axles down. Cut them nice and straight then bevel the first thread slightly. Works like a charm.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
freerider167 said:
home depot should have washers.
LBS has some w/ the "searated faces" (sp?) for grip. Might be a good thing though. The gonuts don't have them either. :eek: Notice they have flat faces on the side that goes next to the frame? :eek: H-Depot prolly got the proper spacers/washers, them or Lowes or an auto supply. Just a matter of time before it all comes together. :D Just having the bolton hub is good enough. That & knowing there are people in Ca-nuckland that's got my back. Thanks again T.

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
Either cut the extra off or put on a second nut. I had my right calf gashed open by an exposed axle bolt years ago when I crashed and 75 stitches later I was back to normal. Nothing like having the doc dig around in your calf to try and put the muscle back together and close up the calf itself.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Evil Con-fecal said:
Break out the dremel and cut those axles down. Cut them nice and straight then bevel the first thread slightly. Works like a charm.
Thinking very hard about doing just that. I noticed on the North Shore Billet Page they also have a vice block to hold pedals & axels for cutting. Weeelll noowww that makes sense don't it. Hook'em & just reel'em in. :( Dang....well I ain't buyin' that thing. :mad:
I was sorta thinkin' the axel looked a lil' long, I guess its so you can cut it if you need to, depending on your frame.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mike B. said:
Either cut the extra off or put on a second nut. I had my right calf gashed open by an exposed axle bolt years ago when I crashed and 75 stitches later I was back to normal. Nothing like having the doc dig around in your calf to try and put the muscle back together and close up the calf itself.
o0o0o0o that must suck, sorry to hear about that man.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
Thinking very hard about doing just that. I noticed on the North Shore Billet Page they also have a vice block to hold pedals & axels for cutting. Weeelll noowww that makes sense don't it. Hook'em & just reel'em in. :( Dang....well I ain't buyin' that thing. :mad:
I was sorta thinkin' the axel looked a lil' long, I guess its so you can cut it if you need to, depending on your frame.
I agree, cut them there axle on down to proper size.Just remember to measure twice, it really sucks welding threads back on.......

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Dremel?!?!?! why not the plasma cutter?!?!?"
"hacking sawwing"
"right calf gashed open by an exposed axle bolt"
"75 stitches later I was back to normal"
"Nothing like having the doc dig around in your calf to try and put the muscle back together and close up the calf itself."

Make it STOOPPP!!! I just wanted a bolt-on axel to stiffen the rearend & to keep the quick-release from coming loose.

"come out to the coast, we'll have a few drinks"
Bruce Willis, Die Hard.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
006_007 said:
I agree, cut them there axle on down to proper size.Just remember to measure twice, it really sucks welding threads back on.......
Probably gonna end up cuttin'. Not gonna rush into it though. I didn' know Dremel made a plasma cutter..??? :rolleyes: Thread weldin'....now there's a profession. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.