Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Got my frame powdercoated+some new parts

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  XSL_WiLL 
#1 ·
a month ago i sent out my frame to get powder coated and i just got it back yesterday and built it up today.

Specs:

Frame: 2002.5 Evil Imperial
Fork: 2006 Rockshox Pike 426 coil
Fr wheel: 24" halo combat 36h on Diatec 20mm sealed hub
Rr wheel: 24" halo SAS 48h on Diatec sealed hub
Headset: E13 reducer cups w/ Aheadset sealed internal headset
cranks: Raceface Evolve DH w/ raceface FR bottem bracket
Chain: KMC Pintle Half-link
Rear Brake: Hayes HFX Mag

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
BikeSATORI said:
what color was it before?

did you have to re-face/ream the headtube and bb, etc.?
no. the place i sent it to has done a ton of bikes and is well known through out new england in the biking community (S&D Powder Coating). They did a really good job at masking off the headtube area and the bottom bracket.

#7 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Nice. I think that rear brake is just the Mag. I believe the HFX came with the G2 caliper.
been awhile since I had some mags... but I thought HFX was a designation of hydraulic, as in HFX-Mag, or HFX-9, and the Mag / 9 was the designation for the lever/master cylinder body model, 9 being the cheaper version... could be wrong these days though.
pictured is the HFX-Mag with the Generation 1 IS caliper...

#8 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Nice. I think that rear brake is just the Mag. I believe the HFX came with the G2 caliper.
I'm not sure about that one, but it sounds logical. The bike used to have one of the black (newer?) calipers on it but the previous owner got fluid all over it and it ate the paint so i took off the front brake (dont need it anyways) and moved that caliper to the rear because the original one looked like shi!t. The lever is the newer mag though.

#9 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
to the 12th power cubed with the is404 pads and raLL31 pistons of course:rolleyes:

#10 ·
BikeSATORI said:
been awhile since I had some mags... but I thought HFX was a designation of hydraulic, as in HFX-Mag, or HFX-9, and the Mag / 9 was the designation for the lever/master cylinder body model, 9 being the cheaper version... could be wrong these days though.
pictured is the HFX-Mag with the Generation 1 IS caliper...
I know that at some point, they just called it the Mag. And there was no HFX, and no HFX 9.

The Mag has the "soft" MC and the Nine the hard one. Nines have very poor quality MCs. Both the HFX-9 and the HFX-Mag share the G2 caliper.

#12 ·
i rode one at rye airfield (indoor skatepark) and i liked it, and then i came across a complete bike that was for sale because it was in storage for 2 years and the guy wanted to get rid of it. I bought the complete bike for 800 bucks, sold the rest of the parts for 550, and kept the frame and brakes. so i basically got the frame and the brakes (set of mags) for 250 bucks. The frame just had bunch of scratches but not from riding, just from being in storage

#17 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
NVM, I was wrong. HFX has nothing to do with the caliper.

HFX just stand for Hayes Full Hydraulic.
yeah... you happen to remember their hybrid brake? had a cable (used a V-lever) that pulled a slave cylinder on the caliper that was hydraulic... oh man... comically horrible. sounded like a good idea on paper though I guess. it's interesting to look back at failures as components progress. imagine when we all look back at the derailleur and just laugh our a$ses off....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.