Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode (well mostly walked) part of a famous trail today. Anyone recognize the trailhead? I'll post more pictures and some details tomorrow.

The Sultan is now officially a Swell bike (hint, hint).

Attachments

·
i can't type the letter s
1,093 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know the exact trailhead but I would guess by the hint that you are referring to the San Rafael Swell west of Green River?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Soveregn trail MOAB.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Hah! You got your butt handed to you by famous 5 Miles of Hell in the San Rafael Swell. My Sultan also got kicked their last fall. Afterwards, my group swore we would never ride it again. Now we are always talking about getting back to it again this fall!

Since we rode (hiked?) it, I've heard that it surprisingly rides better from the bottom up, so next time we're just going to out-and-back it, and skip the ATV return.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who got humbled by that monster!

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,119 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
Rode (well mostly walked) part of a famous trail today. Anyone recognize the trailhead? I'll post more pictures and some details tomorrow.

The Sultan is now officially a Swell bike (hint, hint).
I remember reading the article in BIKE a while back. If I recall the guy pictured was on a white 5 Spot or RFX.
Sounded like a great sufferfest that I think I'll pass on...I'll ride it vicariously through your Thread. Looking forward to the pictures...

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
They are all moto trails that you can ride your bike on. Some sections are better than others (read as: some are pretty chewed up).

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with tscheezy: the sign's in a little bit worse shape now, though.

The Twin Knolls are in the background for much of the ride. You can also see the LaSal's and the Henry Mountains in the background at times. There's a whole trail system there, but only the 5MOH is rated "extreme." It was made for trials motorcycles. I'd love to see a skilled rider on a trials bike ride this trail. It's really a well done trail system: both incredibly scenic and challenging.

I actually rode the "Two Miles of Humiliation Followed by the Escape Route Back to the Trailhead" trail. I will be going back with shoes that are more comfortable to walk in and a Gravity Dropper equipped bike to finish it. I'll probably not try this by myself: no one had been on the trail for about a week per the sign-in box. Even though my wife knew where I was, I'd hate to wait out there for a rescue if I got hurt. I never really crashed, but I came down on one leg pretty hard after a downhill dismount and imagine I could have broken my ankle with another foot or two of fall.

I felt the 29 inch wheels were a big advantage, but I was thinking "maybe I do need a Gravity Dropper on my Sultan" the whole time. :p

Attachments

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Nice pics Bob - looks like, well not fun fun, but kinda painful dangerous fun. You gotta love a trail that has "escape" route painted on it. One more for the todo list.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The irony is that 5MOH's really hard section (near constant, low gear, extreme rock crawling) is about 7 miles long. If nothing else, you need to do the trail just to see the mind-blowing rock colors. It's one of the most beautiful places I have ever ridden.

I have created some pretty detailed maps of the whole trail system if anyone wants them.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Awwwwww man, those pics are awesome! The trails, rocks and scenery are flat out amazing.

Posts like these are pushing me ever closer to picking up a Sultan.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Bob, how long was the drive from St. G? Take me with you next time. I've always wanted to ride that trail. That looks like good 5-spot territory for sure.

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
You think you got your butt kicked today ... We just hired 2 cute, young female scientists, and I spent the day with them. Smart, athletic, attractive, ... fun and interesting. They kicked my butt.

Great pictures. You guys are filling up my "to do" list. :thumbsup:

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
cowdog said:
You think you got your butt kicked today ... We just hired 2 cute, young female scientists, and I spent the day with them. Smart, athletic, attractive, ... fun and interesting. They kicked my butt.
Did they have an escape route?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Oh yeah, nice job, Bob. :thumbsup: It is cool to go outside your comfort zone sometimes and explore some of the less trodden regions of your beautiful state. If you go back, you can tie the Temple Mountain trail network into the Red, Blue, and Green trails via the Orange. I can suggest some nice cruising epics through the area if you are keen. I'll try to post some pics later of the Temple Mountain to Iron Divide loop.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I found a few. EDIT: Dunno why mouse jockey can't see them, but to avoid any other issues, I have moved them from imageshack to my Flickr account.

Temple Mountain...

Lone Man Butte from the Red Trail/5MOH junction.

Red trail has some tough sections too. It is a little taste of what 5MOH has to offer for miles and miles.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
El Chingon said:
Bob, how long was the drive from St. G? Take me with you next time. I've always wanted to ride that trail. That looks like good 5-spot territory for sure.
About 260 miles toward Moab, then south into the desert for another 8 or 10. It's at 6 something thousand feet, so it's a good spring or fall ride.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts