Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered them on Thursday & should have them anywhere between Wed-Friday next week (or atleast I hope). I got what I feel is a good deal for 06 bb7 set. With shipping it came to $131 (ebay of coarse:thumbsup: )
I will be installing them my self, so I am just wondering if there is anything I should remember to do before/during & after the install. This will be my first time installinng new brakes so any advice is helpful. To me it looks pretty cut & dry but you never know.

I just installed a new fork last week & purchased a new front brake cable & housing which will still be long enough on the new brake setup for the fronts, however the rear will be to short, so I did hit the LBS for a new housing & cable, other then that, like I said open to advice.

Of coarse when I am done I will post couple pics.

Thanks

·
Student
820 Posts
ironbike1 said:
I ordered them on Thursday & should have them anywhere between Wed-Friday next week (or atleast I hope). I got what I feel is a good deal for 06 bb7 set. With shipping it came to $131 (ebay of coarse:thumbsup: )
I will be installing them my self, so I am just wondering if there is anything I should remember to do before/during & after the install. This will be my first time installinng new brakes so any advice is helpful. To me it looks pretty cut & dry but you never know.

I just installed a new fork last week & purchased a new front brake cable & housing which will still be long enough on the new brake setup for the fronts, however the rear will be to short, so I did hit the LBS for a new housing & cable, other then that, like I said open to advice.

Of coarse when I am done I will post couple pics.

Thanks
Installing the bb7's are as simple as can be. Just remember that you will need to break-in the pads. So you will have to do some hard stops with out locking up the wheels. The brakes at first will feel like they have not a lot of stopping power, this will go away in time. Also at first the brakes make a lot of noise, again just apart of the break-in period. Once they are all broken in they are quiet and powerful.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good pick by the way, the best mech. brake on the market. I look forward to seeing your pics.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[CrazyRick_11] said:
Installing the bb7's are as simple as can be. Just remember that you will need to break-in the pads. So you will have to do some hard stops with out locking up the wheels. The brakes at first will feel like they have not a lot of stopping power, this will go away in time. Also at first the brakes make a lot of noise, again just apart of the break-in period. Once they are all broken in they are quiet and powerful.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good pick by the way, the best mech. brake on the market. I look forward to seeing your pics.
Thanks, I am pumped about getting them. I have been searching & comparing brakes for awhile & my current hayes discs are just not cuttng it.

How often do you have to replace the pads on the bb7's?

·
Student
820 Posts
ironbike1 said:
Thanks, I am pumped about getting them. I have been searching & comparing brakes for awhile & my current hayes discs are just not cuttng it.

How often do you have to replace the pads on the bb7's?
I rode my bb7' for about 3/4 of a season (where i live is about 5 months and I'm not even thinking about changing them yet. I assume i will be riding all summer on the original pads. The dial adjustment for the inside and outside pads are great.

What kind of levers will you be using.

Attachments

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[CrazyRick_11] said:
I rode my bb7' for about 3/4 of a season (where i live is about 5 months and I'm not even thinking about changing them yet. I assume i will be riding all summer on the original pads. The dial adjustment for the inside and outside pads are great.

What kind of levers will you be using.
I just have a shimano oem lever/shifter combo, it is a trigger shifter setup. I did buy some avid speed dial 7's but I ended up selling them, since I cant really change them out without changing the shifters aswell.

The adjuster knob just adjusts the amount the pads touch the rotor correct?

·
Student
820 Posts
ironbike1 said:
I just have a shimano oem lever/shifter combo, it is a trigger shifter setup. I did buy some avid speed dial 7's but I ended up selling them, since I cant really change them out without changing the shifters aswell.

The adjuster knob just adjusts the amount the pads touch the rotor correct?
On the caliper the adjuster knobs adjust how much the pad actually sticks out from the caliper. The more the pad sticks out the less space you have between the pad and the rotor. It compensates for wear on the pad, when the pad wears down the space between the rotor and the pad increases, causing you to pull more on the brake lever, the knobs maintain the space, therefore prolonging the desire feel at the lever. I have the speed dial 7 levers,they are awsome, unfortunate you had to sell yours, they also add to the feeling at the lever. With the adjustment on the lever I can go from an "on/off" feeling to a squishy feeling without touching the knobs on the caliper, just another way to fine tune your bike.:)

·
Student
820 Posts
I can't wait to see your pics, what do you ride? What kind of riding do you do?

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
I just installed the BB7's myself. As the previous post said, they take time to break in. I am still trying to get mine to stop quickly and without the squeal. But it has been cold and no real downhills to get some speed. You'll love em'!

Attachments

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[CrazyRick_11] said:
On the caliper the adjuster knobs adjust how much the pad actually sticks out from the caliper. The more the pad sticks out the less space you have between the pad and the rotor. It compensates for wear on the pad, when the pad wears down the space between the rotor and the pad increases, causing you to pull more on the brake lever, the knobs maintain the space, therefore prolonging the desire feel at the lever. I have the speed dial 7 levers,they are awsome, unfortunate you had to sell yours, they also add to the feeling at the lever. With the adjustment on the lever I can go from an "on/off" feeling to a squishy feeling without touching the knobs on the caliper, just another way to fine tune your bike.:)
I didn't have to sell them. I just decided not to upgrade the shifters, & cassette to accomodate the levers. I will eventually get them again.

I like the idea of being able to adjust the pads like that though, cant wait to install them.:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.