Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got hit by a car and ruined my derailleur luckily that was all that was broke. Here is my dilemma I also would like to get a new crankset. I would like to keep my shifters mainly I have XTR ST-M950 and if at all possible I would like to keep my front derailleur XTR FD-M970. I want to get a 10 speed XTR rear derailleur. Is it possible to keep my shifters or do I need new ones. Could I just buy the derailleur and chain for now and ride until I have enough money to pick up the crank I want and cassette. If any one could give me some advice on how I can get a 10 speed RD and piece the rest of the 10 speed parts as I have more money that would be great. My leg is finally strong enough to ride again and I cant wait to get back out there it has been nearly 4 months since I have been on my bike.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
you have to get a derailleur to match the shifters... both Speeds and Brands Shimano 9 speed with Shimano 9 Speed,.. Sram 9 speed to Sram 9 speed.. Shimano 10 speed with shimano 10 speed shifters ..

if you want 10 speed, you need to get a 10 speed cassette, chain, shifters and derailleur....

personally I see no real advantage of 10 speed,.. just one extra gear with a wimpier chain. keep your 9 speed.

Don't bother with a XTR rear derailleur.. just get a SLX or even an Alvieo.. the rear derailleur has little or no performance increase with shifting .. it's just a small bit of weight savings for the extra $$$ not worth it if money is tight. Save the cash for some other upgrade.

the front Derailleur is fine as long as it's not damaged.

cranks are pretty much interchangeable, just need to get the right bottom bracket styled one to match the frame.

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
Personally I'd go with 10 but thats because I like the 11/36 cassette. Keeps me out of the small chainring 98% of the time.

Like the the lama said, I'd just go SLX. You can get the 10 speed one from Jenson right now for $39. I have to order one today because I sucked up a stick, ok log might be more fair and it completely wrecked my brand new XT derailleur. If you are bent on saving the weight you can get the XT for $20 more

Cassette, same deal I'd just go with SLX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts