Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if the title threw you off, but that was the first thing that came to my mind when I started adding up all the receipts from my recent mtb purchases over the past few months.

It started with a entry level FS bike, a 2013 Trek Fuel EX5 at a great price. I bought my bike just as the 2014 models were coming out and feel I got a great price. If i would have waited any longer I would have only had smaller or larger frame sizes to pick from.

After that I first bought new handlebars and grips.
Then a new seat.
Shortly after I bought new pedals.
Then I needed new shoes to go with my pedals
bought another seat, still experimenting.
Getting comfortable at this time I started riding some steeper terrain...
okay, time to upgrade the brakes !! (Shimano XT)
oh, I forgot new tires and tubes... yes, I bought those too.
another pair of gloves or two
new mtb shorts
another set of handlebars, wanted to try something different.

The bug has bit, started riding again about five months ago and since then it's all I can think about. I'm at the bike shop every week stocking up on Gu and energy bars, drooling over parts and bikes I can't yet afford.

What a fun addiction.... getting outside and exploring new trails and territory every week. 15-20 mile rides on my days off and coming home just as dirty as can be to a cold beer and then right back on the internet to look up what part I should buy next.

Thanks for reading my rant. Loving this site and having such a great time talking to everyone I meet out on the trails.

·
Vincit qui patitur
745 Posts
Welcome to the club.
I've been riding for about two years and am looking at another bike. My fourth.
I also have a Jeep (just empty every pocket)
MTB is the same.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I feel you on the bug. I just ordered a pair of riding shorts (with the padded butt) got a camel pack and tools. Now I just do not know where to start with upgrades. I know next if finding a pair of shoes.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
The bug hit me as soon as I saw how low-end my bike actually was.
A year later and all that is stock are seatclamp, wheels, chain, cassette, and headset.
By next year all that is stock should be the seatclamp.

·
Registered
191 Posts
looks like i too have the bug….I'm on these forums all day at work. and sites selling used gears keep stocking up and every week. It hurts so gooooooddd…especially when you come across a deal you can't let up…I just purchased Forte 720 flats with 9* sweep and my goodness world of a feel, and got a new race face stem, just purchased a Flux 2weeks ago barely broke a sweat in them, and then today came across an awesome deal on a POC trabec…and couldn't pass that up so going to purchase that tomorrow…dam this bug..

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
looks like i too have the bug….I'm on these forums all day at work. and sites selling used gears keep stocking up and every week. It hurts so gooooooddd…especially when you come across a deal you can't let up…I just purchased Forte 720 flats with 9* sweep and my goodness world of a feel, and got a new race face stem, just purchased a Flux 2weeks ago barely broke a sweat in them, and then today came across an awesome deal on a POC trabec…and couldn't pass that up so going to purchase that tomorrow…dam this bug..
I bought a Fox Flux helmet and I like it. I'm not sure if I liked the POC any better when I tried it on, however. Stick with the Flux (unless it is completely uncomfortable and doesn't fit right) and use the money you would waste on the POC for something else to upgrade on your bike (tires, saddle, grips, seatpost, anything!)

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Always remember:

A 20 miler with a cold pop at the end what mountain biking is all about.
Shopping for parts is not mountain biking. It's shopping.

More riding and less gear geeking will make you a happier person and a better rider.

;)

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
^^^
LOL, this. The amount of screwing around it took to keep my Hardrock rolling was a real bummer. The shiny new bike, I'm pretty much done (and happy to be done!) changing. I've only changed the contact points and tires. :D Which is what I was hoping for in reaching a bit further when I bought it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought a Fox Flux helmet and I like it. I'm not sure if I liked the POC any better when I tried it on, however. Stick with the Flux (unless it is completely uncomfortable and doesn't fit right) and use the money you would waste on the POC for something else to upgrade on your bike (tires, saddle, grips, seatpost, anything!)
I know what u mean. I just completed a build so the saddle still good on them bums, seatpost new tires r good but poss upgrades in futures would be good I know.
But the POC was $60 condition 9/10 :p the flux felt nice but i was down to the last two clicks on the rear locks for a nice fit. The fox is nice but $60 for a trabec..!!! Hahaha

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of course riding is the most important part of all. The biggest thing I look forward to when I start my work week is my next full day off which is my big ride day. I've been trying to get in a solid 15 to 20+ mile ride once a week, another day of the week I'm trying to just hit whatever dirt I have time for, usually a 8 to 10 mile ride then back home to walk the dog and off to work.

But in the meantime, when I can't ride.... I will admit - I love thinking about what parts and accessories I might want or need next. I love reading these forums. I love looking at the picture thread to see where people have been riding. While sitting on the patio having a beer I'm playing on Strava exploring routes and seeing what new trails I can find that might be an option for my next ride day.

It's all about the trails and nothing is more important than actual pedal time. But until we have time for that again were all on here together reading and writing about it !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts