Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....or "UGI satisfied for now (Part 3):D Certainly nothing to do with jumping, I've decided not to kill myself for now.

FedEx man knocked this morning with a new package. Thought I'd experiment with air as my riding isn't particularly gnarly (plus this shock will fit the "Spot to be" if anything happens to the Brain, not to mention that I can now look for a good Spot frame without worrying about the state of the shock:thumbsup: ).

In the meantime, I whacked it on the RFX (took all of 3 minutes due to another simple but brilliant Turner design). Will report back on the ride (rain forecast to stop by Thursday so hoping for a decent ride Thurs/Fri) - does anyone want me to check anything specific re DHX 5.0 coil/air on an 06 RFX?

Finally, a huge thanks to the guys who "bent the rules" to send me the shock and got it to me in four working days. I won't name them just in case but suffice to say the standards are as high as ever:thumbsup:

Cheers,

TB

P.S. Sorry for the crap pics, my mighty 29.99 camera seems to be having a bit of a fit...

Attachments

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On a related subject, I have been thinking that the 700lb spring on the DHX-C is a bit low for my lardy arse (I weigh 230lbs so I guess 240-250 with gear). It seems to run with quite a lot of sag, so I called Mojo (Fox UK) and asked them which spring would be right. They said 700-750 would be right if the stroke of the shock is 2.25in or 900lb :)eek: ) if the stroke is 2in...having just whipped the shock off, it looks like the stroke is 2in.

Is this right on an 06 RFX, and I don't think I've ever seen a 900lb spring? (Well, maybe on the Landcruiser....:D ) Is this nature's way of telling me to lay off the pies?:nono:

Thanks in advance,

TB

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Yeppers TB like cc said, all pre-'07 RFX's are 7.5x2.0
750 might be better but remember springs can have a 15% variance from the marked rate. If you 700# is over and your 750 is under you might not notice much difference. Larry at MHC was able to get me a 800# spring for my DHX a while back. Maybe he still has a line on the 750s.

I'd be real interested in hearing your thoughs on getting the DHXa setup for your *cough* our *cough* weight.

The bigger springs are a royal PITA to mount and remove... no fun at all.
Best of luck!

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Search function is rubbish for DHX anything due to min 4 characters but I followed the trail from the FAQ and found some good stuff on setup. My long term plan is to get a nice Spot frame, put the Air on that and put the Coil back on the RFX but as some places (;) ) are having a killer deal on the Air at the moment, I thought I'd give it a try a bit earlier than planned....

I know that air isn't recommended for those of us with larger muscle mass but as I ride like a Nun I thought I'd give it a go, especially as it will fit on both my bikes now plus my proposed future bike. I haven't had an air shock die yet (crosses fingers and strokes rabbit's foot).

Will try to hunt down an 800lb spring for the DHX-C. I hear that Manitou springs will fit and they are quite a bit cheaper - recommended by Tim Flooks (although he doesn't have any big ones in - I might try a 750). http://www.tftunedshox.com/manitou/mansprings.htm

On another note - over a week of rain has seen me killed by UGI - the Spot to be now has floating rotors - at least I haven't given into the Dangerboy levers yet.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
The levers would have been a LOT cheaper than the rotors... That reminds me I need another set of those gold Hope 2-piece rotors for my Spot.:rolleyes:

There's no rule that says big guys can't use an Air shock on a 3:1 leverage bike, but the DHXa is notorious at being difficult to tune under those circumstances. A few bigger guys have been satisfied with the RP3 and the Roco on the RFX. Since you got a deal on the DHXa and plan on putting it on you Spot long term I'd say go for it. :thumbsup:

Careful about the 800# springs. Mine just barely fits on my DHXc and it rubs the blue bottom-out knob, even though the spring is from Fox (Via larry).

If your DHXc is pushed and/or you don't do a lot of super agro stuff, a 750 should be fine. El Ching seemed to be quite satisfied with his 750#... And when I got mine back from Push it came with a recommendation for a 750# spring...so I'd say don't get the 800# spring unless you have no other choice, eat a few sheep for lunch or just want a firmer ride.

Besides if you end up buying the last 800# spring Patrick might get pi$$ed.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,829 Posts
Bikezilla said:
There's no rule that says big guys can't use an Air shock on a 3:1 leverage bike.
Actually, there is the maximum PSI that you can safely run in the DHX air.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Yes 300PSI. I don't think Tidy's going to need that much though...but I see your point. There is a limit. It'll probably suck pretty badly at that pressure anyway.

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bikezilla said:
The levers would have been a LOT cheaper than the rotors... That reminds me I need another set of those gold Hope 2-piece rotors for my Spot.:rolleyes:

There's no rule that says big guys can't use an Air shock on a 3:1 leverage bike, but the DHXa is notorious at being difficult to tune under those circumstances. A few bigger guys have been satisfied with the RP3 and the Roco on the RFX. Since you got a deal on the DHXa and plan on putting it on you Spot long term I'd say go for it. :thumbsup:

Careful about the 800# springs. Mine just barely fits on my DHXc and it rubs the blue bottom-out knob, even though the spring is from Fox (Via larry).

If your DHXc is pushed and/or you don't do a lot of super agro stuff, a 750 should be fine. El Ching seemed to be quite satisfied with his 750#... And when I got mine back from Push it came with a recommendation for a 750# spring...so I'd say don't get the 800# spring unless you have no other choice, eat a few sheep for lunch or just want a firmer ride.

Besides if you end up buying the last 800# spring Patrick might get pi$$ed.
Thanks Zilla, good to know on the springs front.

As for the rotors, they're cheaper over here, about £20 each.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Yes 300PSI. I don't think Tidy's going to need that much though...but I see your point. There is a limit. It'll probably suck pretty badly at that pressure anyway.
Tidy, you may have been better off trying a ROCO air; it seems more suited for heavier riders in high leverage ratio situations.

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Renegade said:
Tidy, you may have been better off trying a ROCO air; it seems more suited for heavier riders in high leverage ratio situations.
Now you tell me!:madman: :D

Not a problem for me - the Air isn't meant for the RFX long-term, I'm just trying it on there 'cos I can. I intend to swap my Enduro frame for a Spot at some point and I don't trust second-hand shocks so the air will go on the Spot and the Coil back on the RFX. Even if I never find a Spot, the Air will fit on the Enduro as a potential upgrade on the Fox/Brain:thumbsup:

Plus, I got a killer deal on the Air. It's an 07 and it cost me about 30% of the UK list price (not 30% off, 30% of). Nothing to lose, really:D

P.S. I got back into biking to lose some weight.....

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
All good then. A few of us tried dhx-a's on our RFX's when the shock first came out, and most of us stopped using them fairly soon afterwards. They suffer from a "lack of mid-range support" and blow through their travel quite easily. Supposedly, for 2008, they are to get a propedal switch, and have a better mid stroke.
Many of us on the turner board are shock snobs/whores.:D

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Renegade said:
All good then. A few of us tried dhx-a's on our RFX's when the shock first came out, and most of us stopped using them fairly soon afterwards. They suffer from a "lack of mid-range support" and blow through their travel quite easily. Supposedly, for 2008, they are to get a propedal switch, and have a better mid stroke.
Mnay of us on the turner board are shock snobs/whores.:D
the propedal lever seems to be pretty certain (see the 08 online manual http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/08/eng/rear_shocks/dhx_air_50.htm ), the improved mid stroke support remains to be seen....

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Funny thing Alex, I was thinking of you when I typed that.;)
Have you even tried out the dhx after getting it back from Push?
I'm down to only one rear shock now.:eek: The horror! I don't have a back up anymore.:cryin: And I only have two forks now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Renegade said:
I have recently acquired a used 2007 DHX air. I ended up going with a 7.875x2.25 with the 5.3in rockers on the RFX, hoping that it would take care of the mid-stroke wallow. I found that I need to run the boost chamber air pressure higher than on the DHX coil in order for the shock not to blow through the travel. I weigh 162 lbs out of the shower and I run 200 psi in the main air (13mm of sag suited up), 100psi in the boost chamber. The first time I open up the air sleeve to add some lube I will probably try the RP3 air sleeve and see if that reduces the wallow.

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Renegade said:
Typical - I always get stuff when the cool kids have dissed it...:cryin:

Next it'll be the CCDB (when I've saved up the 600 GBP it costs...)

If you're trying to take away my UGI joy, then it's...:D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.