Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cannondale Snob
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me clarify that when I say "ride" I don't include putting around on the street. Basically the only rides I'm counting are the ones on a trail.

That being said:
I got paid on the 1st, got my bike back from the LBS after a tune-up on the 2nd, and splurged a bit and bought some stuff today for taking it out to the trail again.

Dropped by Sports Authority and piked up a Giro helmet. The Bell youth helmet actually fit pretty well but the way the straps were routed gave it two pressure points up front. I put the helmet on and had my friend whack me in the head from the front, sides, and back to see how comfortable the helmets are :madman: The Giro Indicator Sport won.

I also picked up a Blackburn AirTower 4 pump and Delphi 2.0 wired computer. The computer cost about as much as a water-resistant watch and since all my watches are dead.... I grabbed some Bell open-mesh gloves- they were pretty comfy.

When we got home I hooked up the computer and programmed it to the tire size, time of day, etc. Then we ran the bike over this big dirt-hill in the front yard that remains after removing 3 large trees. Kenny was having some trouble getting up it, so when he let me try... I just charged it. Up and over with no trouble, and liking the shock when coming back down. He stepped it up a notch and succeeded on his next try. We had some fun bombing around in the front yard for a while and then he had to leave.

I remembered to fill my water bottle this time. The computer read 1.58 miles from my house to the park, and around 13mph average speed now that the FD can get the chain on the big cog. Once I hit the dirt I shifted the FD down to the middle cog and it pretty much stayed there. The RD moved around a lot, especially as I got tired. There is only one trail, which goes through a narrow wooded area between a rather large, deep, steep-sided ditch with ~3' of water in the bottom on one side and a playground and base-ball fields on the other. The trail has a couple optional sections that are do-able on bikes and some that aren't.

My climbing technique was vastly improved over last time. Instead of leaning over the handlebars and spinning the rear I was leaning back just enough that the front tire would grab air on the power strokes. I got enough traction to climb pretty much all the ascents I could find, and they all had loose terrain. I rode the alternate routes that I hadn't really noticed last time, and some of them were much fun :thumbsup: I took some little drop-offs, slow and then at speed, and zipped up a couple dirt ramps the local BMXers have built.

I rode the trail, mostly just going back and forth over the challenging sections, for 3 miles worth of biking before I headed home. On the way home the FD wouldn't get back onto the big cog. It had already lost adjustment. Deore sucks. I took the bike back to the LDS and they readjusted the FD again. I think I'll have to upgrade the derailleurs soon, at least the front.

Oh, and I'm not really thrilled with wearing a helmet. It makes me twice as hot as riding without :mad: Ah well...

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
in theory a bike should shift into every gear combo---but---sometimes if you're in one of the easiest gears in back the front wont shift into big ring, at least not until you jump back down toward the middle of the cogset in the rear.

helmets are a must. sometimes i forget my gloves and camelbak too and will do a short loop upon realizing I'm without--yeah things seem much faster and cooler --bot over the long haul--they're needed.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Deore components don't suck and the front derailleur is the least critical of the two... it sounds like a problem with the setup more than the D.

It sounds like you're having fun which is what it's all about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.