Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a travis 150mm, single crown. TPC+ dampning. it replaced my manitou firefly 150. worked real good today. I miss the travel adjust. the fork is very compossed and its very easy to twist the compression adjustment to set the fork from low bob to, light and plush. its realy stiff, and does exactly what it should do.

it is a free ride fork. it weighs 6.6 pounds, 1 pound more then my firefly. 6.6 is one pound more then what the manitou website says. I did a 35+ mph fire road run today and the fork did great, I did not bottom it, I think I might have felt some harshness on the big fast hits but, hard to say. In retrospect, I think I was going real fast, and my buddy on his van 36 was complaining about bottoming out hard, so....? I like it. as long as it doesn't explode I'll be happy. I like it

and cheers to manitou for taking care of a customer. after 3 sticky/broken firelfy SPV valves, they sent me a brand new fork, something without SPV per my request.. its a shame..... the firefly worked real good, but the SPV valve would start clicking and so performance would degrade. must be hard to make them right or something becuase I've riden other people's SPV shermans that felt great after years of use.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G-AIR said:
If you have the time could you please measure the axle to crown length of that fork? Looks like a nice fork. Keep us updated!
Thanks
it is 10mm longer then last year's sherman 150s, per manitou. and it was longer when I held the 2 forks next to each other.

542mm.

I think that thease things will be going for ~$500, and its a quality fork. looks solid. I like the 8 inch post mount. no brake adapter is needed to mount an 8 inch hayes. if you wanted to run less then a 8, you are out of luck.

fyi, i got an X firm spring in it. the fork is probably lighter with the standard spring.

tire clearance is better. this picture is with a nokian 2.6 (a small 2.6). the compression adjust knob is shown in the upper left of the picture, there are good solid positive clicks (22 clicks), the rebound knob is at the bottom of the same leg but doesn't click. but, I realy like adjusting the compression as I ride, so counting clicks is totally needed with the compression. both adjuster can controll the fork from too slow to real fast. there is no preload.

·
Meh.
17,470 Posts
That's beautiful. I see that they've made more room in the arch for tires. Hoorah! Though I had no issues with running a 2.7 in my Firefly on a 26" rim. I did have some difficulty getting a 2.75 in on a 24" rim though. I loved my Firefly with TPC+. I rode it very hard for 1 year without any problems. Weighed 4.5 pounds on the digital scale with a 7.3" steerer. Did everything from XC, to urban, to freeride. Had some minor issues with their undersprung springs, but TPC+ was able to control harsh bottoming. Great fork. As far as I know, the guy I sold my old bike to is still riding on the fork and is very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
That's beautiful. I see that they've made more room in the arch for tires. Hoorah! Though I had no issues with running a 2.7 in my Firefly on a 26" rim. I did have some difficulty getting a 2.75 in on a 24" rim though. I loved my Firefly with TPC+. I rode it very hard for 1 year without any problems. Weighed 4.5 pounds on the digital scale with a 7.3" steerer. Did everything from XC, to urban, to freeride. Had some minor issues with their undersprung springs, but TPC+ was able to control harsh bottoming. Great fork. As far as I know, the guy I sold my old bike to is still riding on the fork and is very happy with it.
the 2.6 nokian fit fine in the firefly, but rocks would get stuck in the tire tread and smack the arch. but, I'm totaly going with a bigger front tire now. just because I can.

one side view, becuase it looks so good.

·
MattSavage
2,485 Posts
By the looks of the dirt rings on the stanchion, you must have bottomed at least once. Testimant to the quality of the compression dampening if you didn't even notice.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mattsavage said:
By the looks of the dirt rings on the stanchion, you must have bottomed at least once. Testimant to the quality of the compression dampening if you didn't even notice.
ok, the fork works real good. the first part of the travel is very soft and smooth. then ramps up in firmness about mid stroke. I did a trail ride today and the bike made everything easyer. total confidence. felt like I was flying an air plane...I was running with the compression full out and it is super smooth. this fork is a total winner.

·
Meh.
17,470 Posts
demo_slug said:
ok, the fork works real good. the first part of the travel is very soft and smooth. then ramps up in firmness about mid stroke. I did a trail ride today and the bike made everything easyer. total confidence. felt like I was flying an air plane...I was running with the compression full out and it is super smooth. this fork is a total winner.
Makes me wish I waited for the Travis instead of getting my Pike. I would've gotten a deal too, though probably not as good a deal as I got on the Pike.

·
Flyin Canine
2,258 Posts
demo_slug said:
After your last manitou blew up three times, you're actually coming on mtbr and saying "this fork is a total winner" after how many rides? Why don't you wait until it's at least broken in before you start singing it's praises huh? If it makes it that long without springing a leak anyway...

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shanedawg said:
After your last manitou blew up three times, you're actually coming on mtbr and saying "this fork is a total winner" after how many rides? Why don't you wait until it's at least broken in before you start singing it's praises huh? If it makes it that long without springing a leak anyway...
??? Its tough to resist, but I'm pretty sure that I expressed my skepticism with my first post.

But somebody asked for my opinion….

If it breaks it will go back to Manitou, they have great customer service.

·
Flyin Canine
2,258 Posts
demo_slug said:
??? Its tough to resist, but I'm pretty sure that I expressed my skepticism with my first post.

But somebody asked for my opinion….

If it breaks it will go back to Manitou, they have great customer service.
Fair enough. Well it's good that at least they took care of you. My friend who has been though a couple of different leaky manitou forks was not so lucky/persistant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.