Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered this bike from Wiggle last week and it arrived today.. The box was beat to hell with DHL repack tape all over it.. and I was missing some stuff in the box.. Ok... that's another story..

My issue is the front rotor. When I put the front wheel on, I noticed right away there was something a miss.. I spin the wheel and I hear whoosh, whoosh.. Dang, front rotor's gotta be warped. I don't know if it happened during shipping or if it was shipped warped, but it's warped enough that it makes a noise..

I go for a ride and flabbergasted at how loud the whoosh whoosh sound is.. and I'm partially deaf in my right ear. It's driving me nuts...

So what do I do? Is this something I can easily fix or do I need to put in a damaged shipping or warranty claim?

BTW, the Bike's a Vitus Nucleus 275 VRX.

Attached is pix of the box.. If you look at the top, the staples were all pulled... so they taped up the holes, but left the top to flap open..

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
You can easily fix it by yourself. Easier than trying to get any compensation from the shipper or the shipping company. Center the caliper, if that doesn’t work you can carefully bend the rotor back to near straight. There’s a rotor trying tool most folks use but if you were careful, you could do it by hand. Just wipe the rotors with alcohol after your oily mits are all over it!

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts
160mm rotors are $15 each, 180mm are $22-45 depending if you want ice tech or not. If it's really bad just buy a new rotor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The warping isn't bad.. I can't see it, without looking for it, while it's passing thorough the caliper.

How does one center the caliper? There's barely any space between the pads.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The warping isn't bad.. I can't see it, without looking for it, while it's passing thorough the caliper.

How does one center the caliper? There's barely any space between the pads.
loose the bolts, pull your lever and tight the bolts, if that doesnt help check exactly where you need to bend the rotor back by spinning the wherl and looking where it contacts the pads, bend the other direction!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Just flip the bike upside down, no need for a bike stand to center calipers like that. It will balance on the handlebars and seat just fine for this (and for shifter adjustments/etc, and lots of other repairs/maintenance).

I've bent a bunch of rotors back by hand. The easiest way is to use a white sheet of paper, or a dim flashlight and use that as a "backstop" while you look straight down through the pads/rotor. That lets you see when the rotor "wobbles". So rotate the wheel slowly, and figure out where the rotor is "wooshing", and then slowly tweak it in the correct direction. Start slow, and you'll be fine.

And, worst case, like others said, rotors aren't expensive. So if it all goes bad, you're out like $15-35. So its relatively low risk.

Good luck :).

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
First off, I would have rejected that delivery. I hope you get good comeback from Wiggle, they owe you.

JUst tell Wiggle you want new rotors, and all the other bits. I'll be honest, I would be demanding a new bike. You don't need to put up with this.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,575 Posts
First off, I would have rejected that delivery.
No doubt.

Unfortunately, in cases like this, the seller is the one who has to go after the shipper, since they're the one who gave the money to the shipper and arranged the shipment (even though that money came from you ultimately).

It's easier to go through that process by rejecting the shipment (and then reaching out to the seller to talk to them about it). Hassles are compounded the farther away from you the shipper is.

Truing rotors that are only slightly warped is easy. After the rotor is mounted, use a clean rag, grab the rotor, and bend it until it's straight.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Unfortunately, in cases like this, the seller is the one who has to go after the shipper, since they're the one who gave the money to the shipper and arranged the shipment...
That's right but that's good.

As the buyer, you do not have a contract with the courier, the seller does. You have a contract with the seller and the responsibility to get the good to you intact is his. There is no way I'd be taking on the job of fixing this. I'd be saying to the seller, new bike or sort this out to my satisfaction in some other way or else. They will sort it out. They don't have a lot of choice.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
welcome to hydraulic disc brakes!
It can come with the territory for sure. At least the occasional "ting, ting" anyway.

But, usually when it gets to the "wooshing" sound, it's a bent/warped rotor, and I bend it back with my hands using the method I described before. Because like the op, the sounds drives me nuts.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I tried aligning the caliper and it's better, but still the whoosh is there and driving me nuts.
Bikes don't come out of the box ready to ride. It is normal for them to need things like the brakes and derailleurs adjusted, sometimes more. Most of the time buyers don't know about this because they buy the bike from a shop and the shop have done it. If you buy a bike in the box, it's down to you.

The factory in Taiwan or China don't set the bike up, they assemble the parts. If you're going to keep this bike I suggest you take it to a decent bike shop and get them to go over it setting up the brakes and anything else that needs done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took some time today bending the rotor around and the whoosh is gone.. Sure I can hear it if I have the bike upside down and spinning the wheel by hand, but I don't hear it while riding.. YAY!!!!

BTW, this was a PITA! There's not much room between the pads to work with...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.