Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a note in a meteorite crator, appears to be a note from your future self:

Yo pal, lay off that gorillia tape. The adhesive hardens so tons of thick tough hard residue is left behind. Then to remove you had to don the blue gloves and spend an hour and an arf scrubbing with solvents to get one rim clean, plus a quarter roll of blue towels. Thas 90 minutes you could have better spent playing the stock market with these hot tips. To wit...

Sadly the message is burned up past that point.

Anyhoo.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
I recently pulled off the Gorilla Tape off my wheels. I was expecting a bunch of residue left on the rim. To my surprise..it left very little. I replaced it with some Stan's tape.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Just pulled it off my rims. Left some, but it wasn't terrible. I had a new tire in the mail for one, so I pulled it and the rim say a couple days inside. Made it much easier to get any residue off with my fingernail.

But, I'm set back up with 8898 or whatever Stan's replacement, and I'm much happier.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
I recently pulled off the Gorilla Tape off my wheels. I was expecting a bunch of residue left on the rim. To my surprise..it left very little. I replaced it with some Stan's tape.
I honestly like the residue.

When I retape with gorilla, or any tape, I find a big spot of reside to start. Makes the tape stick well, so I dont have to fight it getting the tape started. Doesnt hurt anything either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE=FastBanana;14111459]I honestly like the residue.

When I retape with gorilla, or any tape, I find a big spot of reside to start. Makes the tape stick well, so I dont have to fight it getting the tape started. Doesnt hurt anything either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

This case was something weird. The tape was tearing rather than coming free. The left over adhesive was thick and hard and very uneven and covered the entirety of the rim. I doubt even you would have put a layer of tape over that. It was manky and mankier.

Once the rim was clean I dried it in the sun for an hour, then retaped with stans. Perfect.

I bucked up and did the front wheel this am. Much to my surprise there were only a few spots of adhesive left and was all easy to remove. 5 minutes instead of 90.

No idea what went wrong with the first wheel but it was not at all ok.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Nevermind the residue, the tape is so thick that it interferes with the tire mounting. If it does mount, the spongy tape soaks up tons of sealant.

I don't understand how it got popular. It works so poorly.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Nevermind the residue, the tape is so thick that it interferes with the tire mounting. If it does mount, the spongy tape soaks up tons of sealant.

I don't understand how it got popular. It works so poorly.
That was the main reason I took it off. For me...it made the tire really hard to remove. The tire was so tight that once the bead set...it was extremely hard to break the bead. It was a struggle to remove it. One tire I had to cut off. I didn't want to be on the trail...have a tire issue to where I had to use a tube...and then not be able to remove the tire.

I initially went with Gorilla Tape is because it is easy to get.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
I've tried multiple varieties of tape. Some work well with some rims but almost all I've had issues with. For example. Stan's works well with non-anodized rims with a shallow channel. But on an anodized type surface like dt rims, or rims with a deep channel I've had bad luck. Other tapes all had some sort of issue.

The tape I've found most reliable, and works on every rim I've tried is Gorilla tape. If the rim is warm there should be no problem with removal.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Oven cleaner will eat more than tape residue. Like the anodizing on aluminum parts and the aluminum itself if left long enough. I shudder to think what it'd do to a carbon rim.
Correction to myself: not Easy-off, but Goo-off. It says it's safe for fiberglass so I'm assuming it won't kill carbon resin either. Anyway, during the life of my wheels I usually remove tape once, maybe twice.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I had a similar experience removing the tape residu. Goof Off, or Goo Gone (forgot which one) was still a very slow working process. Fingers were worn out by time I finished. Got the rim looking like new though, just took time. I wouldn't do it again. At least, not leave it installed for 2 years again.

I really liked it though. Specialized tires and Roval rims wish Gorilla tape and you could seat the bead with one hand and a floor pump. First time I mounted up, just started to inflate and the interface was snug enough to seal and seat. I even had a double wrap of tape. I had 1" tape and 31mm rims. The center well had the double wrap, the land is where the seams landed.

I replaced with Stans tape, been there a year now. As far as interface, to replace a tire every year or 2, it's really not a "tape is too thick" situation. To change frequently it could be an issue. Disclaimer: not all tires have the same interface as my tire/rim combo. so each individual could experience different mounting challenges.

In the end though, yes the tape reside sucks to remove.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.