Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gorham or Blackstrap ME

I'm going to be staying just west of Portland this weekend. Looking at trail forks, the Gorham trails look like the best (closest and on Trailforks) option for me.

I've searched on here already and read about Bradbury which looks like a great place to ride but it's possible I will be pretty limited in time available to ride and Gorham will cut down on drive time which will increase ride time.

So, any information on Gorham would be helpful. One question I have specifically is I see 2 different trail system on either side of main st. (?). If I was looking to ride for 1 - 2 hours, is one side better to start with? Is it easy to ride from one side to the other if I had enough extra time?

I'm probably going to be able to ride there late saturday (2 - 4pm start) and then hoping to ride early sunday morning before we head back to NY. Anything I should know or anything weird trying to ride at those times?

Thanks!

(Any advice on places for lunch/dinner in the area would be helpful to. I can use Yelp but local knowledge always surpasses an app. We're going to be between Portland (westbrook) and Hiram, so any recommendations between there.)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Gorham is very fun. Not much vertical but very flowy. Best place to eat nearby is Sebago brewery and you can park there and have a 2-3 block ride over to the trails. Otherwise park at the municipal building/high school and ride in from there. Either side is fun. For a fun quick ride it is better to have a guide.

Blue White Line Font Azure

·
Gruntled
81 Posts
The stuff to the North is better, IMO. It has at least some vert to it. Both are decent and flowy for ME. Definitely a noodle bowl of trails.

If driving north, I'd choose Blackstrap over Bradbury. Closer too. :20 v :45.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the maps, looks pretty straight forward.

My plans have changed a little, for the better. I got the time of the family get together wrong on saturday and it's not till 4pm but an hour away.

So, anyone interested in doing a 1.5 - 2 hr ride at a pretty steady tempo on Saturday morning? I can probably make any time work, I would just need to be back to my hotel which is 15 mins away, by 1 - 2pm at the latest. Even if someone could only do a stead 1hr or so to show me around and then point me in the right direction I can keep riding. I "manage" a mountain bike team that's sponsored by an upstate Belgium brewery so I'll throw some beer in for showing me around if that helps.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just mapped my hotel from Blackstrap trails and as @LDinME said above, it is only 15 minutes from where I'm going to be.

So, if anyone is interested in showing me around Gorham or Blackstrap that would be awesome. Same as above, I'll provide beer for anyone interested in being my tour guide so I don't have to stop a million times to check trailforks. Looking for 2 hours but can do some of the time solo. Not worried about the pace as much as just riding most of the time without a lot of stops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.