Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
likes bicycles
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family's lucky enough to have a place in the 'dacks in Minerva which is pretty close to Gore. I wanted to know if Gore's all DH riding or if there's some good XC up there too?

Also, if you could tell me about any other xc trails in the area i'd appreciate it.

thanks

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Gore doesnt do any lift acces Mtb'ing anymore, at least not that I know of they closed for biking a few years ago. I know that there must be some trails left they were mostly DH singletrack. I dont know if they are in any condition to ride though. Also they have a network of XC trails but I dont know if they are open in the summer to ride on but they are all located at the base of the mountain and some of them run near the gore mountain access road.

·
Silver bullet
204 Posts
Garnet Hill

I'm not sure if Garnet Hill Cross Country Ski area is still open to mountain biking or not but they used to be. The trails were nice but nothing real technical. As I remember the price to ride there for a day was reasonable and they had rental bikes too.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
I'm sure downhillmike will eventually chime in but whiteface is about an hour north of gore and has all kinds of riding (even alot of XC) if your willing to take the trip its worth the journey.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Garnet mine was open last year I think though I still have not ridden there, heard it was no good. I will find out maybe next weekend or the weekend of the 20th, why not. Inlet has some trail, though I didn't find what was described to me...its a tough area to MTB in that part of the Adirondacks. I would suggest checking out whiteface its ridiculous and about 1 or 1.5 hours away I think, or go south almost the same distance and check out Saratoga, some good trail there too. Anyone know it West Mountain is still running in Glens Falls? It just isn't very MTB friendly in certain parts. There is a shop in North Creek, stop in and ask them if anything new popped up, though I imagine they will send you to whiteface, which may be the right idea.

·
likes bicycles
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all of the replies... i had read about garnet hill in one of the adirondack papers but never got a chance to check it out... also was up in placid and rode the pine pond trail but didnt get a chance to check out whiteface... there are some snowmobile trails i know of closer to where i am, but i'm not sure if they're legal to ride... anyone know about that?

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
West mountain is still in business for skiing in the winter but closed a few yrs ago for biking. I totally neglected the fact that saratoga has biking about an hour south (as stated by zilla) but you have to be a member to ride there or be riding with a member.

Theres also spier falls which is exit 17 on I87 (Gore is 23 for reference incase for some reason you didnt know) heres a page with directions and some info.

http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trail.asp?id=12421&trail_name=Spire falls RD Mountain Bike Trail

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yep. I do eventually chime in. Since we opened my chime in time is a bit longer. Whiteface has awesome downhill and x-c. Beautiful adirondack single-track that is well marked and maintained.
www.downhillmike.com for pictures and info.
We made so many improvements this year and are still going strong.
Several more pics will be added to our photo gallery soon and videos by next week.

See ya at the face
Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
www.downhillmike.com
Size does matter!

·
Registered
80 Posts
To ride at Saratoga you have to either be a member or ride with one. Check out the SMBA site, you can pay for a years membership for $40 or they have a link to find a current member to take you for a spin if you won't be riding there enough to get the 40 bones worth. The website is: http://www.saratogamtb.org/ Also, I think the non lift xc trails at whiteface are $10, so you're spending either way though both are well worth it. I'm not sure if they have a season pass for xc, check out their site, the face will not disappoint:ihih: .

·
likes bicycles
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i appreciate all of the suggestions... i hope to be able to check them all out, but does anyone know trails that are in the central 'dacks? the problem i run into is that my family's place is four miles back on a dirt road tht takes about a half hour to travel which effectively adds an hour (.5 each way) to the trip making a two hour there and back into a three... inconvenient to say the least, but i guess beggers can't be choosers

thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Moose mnt. Pond and Bass Lake in N. Hudson (Hammond Pond W.F. area).
If you check a map of hiking trails bikes are allowed in "Wild Forest" areas.
Cranberry Lake Wild Forest area, Hammond Pond Wild Forest area and Wilmington Notch Wild Forest area to name a few.

Moose Mnt. pond and Bass lake are a great x-c ride. Technical single-track ending at a beautiful lake with a nice leanto.

Downhill Mike
Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
www.downhillmike.com
Size does matter!

·
likes bicycles
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that's good news

i'm in the vanderwacker mtn wild forest... so basically any hiking trail would be a legal trail?... sounds too good to be true for such a protected forest....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.