Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has built up a set of wheels using the Gordo 29'ers and how they work on a Mariachi (if applicable)?
Also.. What tires seem to go well with these super wide rims?

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
I've built a lot of them. Most 2.1" tires or wider work well. They should easily work on modern El Mariachi's with almost any tire. The last El Mar we set up, 2011 model, easily fit a Maxxis Ardent 2.4" tire on a Stan's flow rim. The wider Gordo would not have changed how the tire fit enough to not make it work. The Ardent is one of the largest 29er tires I know of, so you should be good there.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I run Gordos with Big Apples on a bike of mine. Don't know if they fit on a Mariachi, but there's something about the ridiculously huge tires and rims that bring out a big grin when I'm bombing through city streets.

I'd say if your tires have sizeable knobs/tread go with 2.35+ tires or go home. The horizontal profile of some smaller tires is changed by the wider rims so they may not work as well. Twentynineinches.com had some writeups about that that are worth searching through. The gist is, some tires expect a 28mm rim at most, and have wider knobs around the outer edges that are actually brought closer to the ground since the profile of the tires is so much flatter and so they may not act the same when you're leaned over.

Gordos are bomb-proof. I'm almost 300 and can't so much as flex them. That's with 36-spoke wheels, so YMMV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I eneded up getting a set of Gordos built up for the Mariachi and am very glad I did. Mountain King 2.4 front and 2.2 on the back, the tire and wheel combo has been excellent out here in the East Coast slop as of late. I found the same thing, no flex and totally bombproof so far :)

·
Freelance Whatever
211 Posts
I've got a set of Gordos on Hadleys (36's) and they are the bee's knees. The weight isn't as much of a detriment as I originally thought. They are solid, but the "bigger" tires don't leave me battered and bruised. I've got them on my Fargo, and the ride feels even smoother than the Dos Niner that I used to have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts