Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a GoPro and am very pleased with the results from a price – performance standpoint. One thing that I should have known, is that the sound is non-existent with the plastic housing on.

Since I don't need to submerge myself with the camera, I'm thinking of drilling out the housing near the microphone. Has anyone done this, and if so, would you be able to post a photo and comment on your results? Is there a noticable improvement?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't plan on submerging mine either, but I'd hate to mess with the integrity of the case. I love that fact that if I hit rain or other water I'm totally safe. Plus, I'm not sure what audio I'm actually missing... just me whining and grunting. :D

·
Mulleticious
1,495 Posts
Drilled out

OK - I have a fair bit of experience on this.

On the LO setting you get nothing, and on the HI setting not much more inside the case.
My first step was to complain to the GoPro manufacturers who were very helpful. They first told me to try with the seal off which I did. This worked reasonably well on HI (still not much on LO) but gave a lot of wind noise and the volume was still quite low.

I posted my videos on YouTube and got the manufacturers to watch. The next thing they told me was that, as long as I'm not ever wanting to submerge, I could drill out the case with a small drill. But they told me specifically where to do this. It is in the back, top left where there is a circle moulded into the plastic case. This position is they say the best due to the location of the mic and the integrity of the case.

This worked much better, on HI (still no good on LO) but the recording sounded like the end of a tunnel. Next step I enlarged the hole to about an eighth of an inch. This was the best result yet. However, when the camera is turned so that the hole is not shielded from the wind, you get bad wind noise that overloads the camera electronics and sounds like really loud static. Next I tried some foam inside by the hole. Not much better but a slight improvement with the static. I reckon this is the best I'm going to get.

The next logical step is to make the hole bigger - say a quarter inch, and use the LO setting, but I haven't done that yet. (You can always tape up the hole if the sound gets too loud I figure, but these steps are not reversible :D )

Whatever you do, DON'T try to drill out a hole above the mic. As this is on the top, I guarantee you will get horrendous wind noise (if you ride fast) which will overload the electronics causing very bad static noise.

No doubt about it, audio is the Achilles heel of this camera.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thanks fort the info!!

I will try to go with the 1/4" hole right off the bat. It's good the mic is behind the camera!

I guess if the case cracks you can always buy a replacement?

·
Mulleticious
1,495 Posts
Whooa cowboy!! the mic is on top of the camera, not behind it, and I would strongly advise you try say an eighth of an inch or at the most a 3/16" hole first so you understand what I mean about the "static" electronic overloading noise due to the wind rushing past.

best

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
doh! got it...

BUT... perhaps if a hole is drilled on the backside of the housing it will allow sound to get in without the horrible wind noise...

cheers

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
Hi spencerfrater1,

Thanks much for your drill-out info. My GoPro is no longer "brand spanking shiny new" now that I'm willing to drill the casing for better sound. :D

So, I'll first go with 1/8" drill on that spot with HI setting. Just curious - Have you tried a bigger hole with LO setting like you mentioned yet? (If so, pls provide feedback.)

As for "when the camera is turned so that the hole is not shielded from the wind", I'm only gonna use mine on either Chesty or "brumski" helmet setup. Do you consider these will be "shielded" from the wind?

Thanks,
- PiroChu

PS.
Do you have a vid posted somewhere with this drill-out setting, so that I can hear what the sound is like?

·
Mulleticious
1,495 Posts
PiroChu said:
Hi spencerfrater1,

So, I'll first go with 1/8" drill on that spot with HI setting. Just curious - Have you tried a bigger hole with LO setting like you mentioned yet? (If so, pls provide feedback.)

As for "when the camera is turned so that the hole is not shielded from the wind", I'm only gonna use mine on either Chesty or "brumski" helmet setup. Do you consider these will be "shielded" from the wind?

Thanks,
- PiroChu

PS.
Do you have a vid posted somewhere with this drill-out setting, so that I can hear what the sound is like?
I disagree to a certain extent with LeeL. Yes, the sound quality is still rubbish, but it is better than it was for me.

In answer to your first question Pirochu, I have for a while been using a slightly larger hole than 1/8" - probably about 3/16". And I always have the setting on LO now as on HI I get overload static most of the time. All my videos on my YouTube channel (see the link in my signature) for the last 3 months have been with this method. It is noisier on the seatpost, as the hole is facing into the wind, but still doesn't produce overload static on LO. So it doesn't matter about the mounting options when the setting is on LO in my opinion.

I'm happy with the mod. LeeL maybe you could try a larger hole on the LO setting?

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
OK, thanks - I'll try the "3/16" with LO" setup from the get-go. I'm about to do it shortly...
(In case of a screw-up, it's $40/housing.)

·
Mulleticious
1,495 Posts
PiroChu said:
PS.
Just watched this one from your collection to sample the sound, thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/user/stumpy25lbs#p/u/3/bIypRbMrpDw

BTW, I'd assume that the people/goat scence were with a point-and-shoot, not GoPro?
Oh yeah, sorry, forgot about that one! That's actually a Kodak Zx1 HD which I got the other day.

You must have also seen/heard how I had an annoying rattle on the final descent which I think was the camera rattling around in the housing. Looks like I'm gonna need a piece of foam to put in there to keep it quiet.

BTW both you guys make awesome videos - keep them coming. I wish we had trails in the UK like you do in America/Canada

·
Registered
158 Posts
Patiently awaiting my new Go Pro HD to test sound...and excited about ext. mic input.

But

And not trying to de-rail the thread here..

but the ZOOM H4N recorder is an excellent solution for mobile audio recording.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...andy_Mobile_4_TrackBI=2674&KW=&KBID=3570.html

Combined with one of these!
http://www.redheadwindscreens.com/

You'd have to sync the audio in post- and yes, its one more device and piece of gear to worry about.. but this my friends, separates the men from the boys in the production world. Not to say simply documenting the experience of the ride and the trail isn't worth it with the GoPro alone, but sound is much of any experience.

For me, the sound of riding lightly over terrain, hearing the crunch of dirt and the drivetrain and the breathing adds so much than simply slapping a copyrighted track to your videos.

Just some thoughts..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.