Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a gopro for extended time lapse shooting?

I've got a Hero wide (not HD) with an 8GB card and have been trying get several hours worth of photos using the "automatic" photo mode where it takes a photo every 5 seconds. have tried twice, and each time the camera locks up around the 2 hour mark, having taken 1,992 or 1,996 photos. It's not batteries - there aren't any in it, I've got it connected to USB for uninterrupted power. Not an issue with the 8GB card, I was able to move the files to a new location and take another 1600 photos.

I thought it might be a 2GB limit of some sort, but it's not reaching that yet - it locks up around the 1.85GB capacity. It just stops working, with the last file being created as 0 bytes. All the previous files are created and saved just fine, and the time lapse footage I've been getting from them has been pretty cool. We're having work done to a carriage house, and it's cool to watch the progress. With an 8GB card and ~1MB file sizes, I figure it should be able to run for ~10-11 hours before filling the card, which is way more than a complete work day... but I'm only getting ~2 hours. It's gonna be time to do some framing on it in a couple of days, and I'd like to be able to catch the whole thing happening. Even the contractor is interested to see it after the fact.

I've re-read the manual, GoPro's site, and the FAQs, as well as contacted gopro, no repsonse yet. Was curious if anyone here had run into this.

If you do try time lapse shooting with your gopro (or any camera for that matter) you should give Google's Picasa a try. while it's not the best photo viewer/organizer out there, it's got a wonderfully easy "movie" tool which has a "time lapse" mode where you just select your photos, choose a frame rate, and go. You can add captions and such, but that doesn't work as well in the time lapse mode. Because the gopro shoots 5mpx stills, you can actually get high-def output out of the SD camera using the "automatic" (picture every x seconds) mode.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the solution

Got the solution, and it's easy. Posting it here if anyone should run across the same thing. For the Hero Wide (non HD) just upgrade the firmware. Didn't think I needed the firmware because I had been using my camera with an 8GB card and had recorded a total amount of images over 2GB already, so didn't think it needed it. Loaded the firmware, and it's been shooting at 5 second intervals all day long.

Also, the GoPro Hero HD will shoot all day long (and then some) if you use a USB charger (ie, not connected to a computer) attached to it. Connecting to a computer makes it act as removable storage, and disables the shooting. Using a USB charger (like you can get for cell phones and GPS units and such) allows the shooting to continue.

Not the most common use of the camera, but the effects are pretty cool, so I'm glad I got it figured out:

Time lapse video of construction on what will be my new bike shop.

Thanks to GoPro for the good info. A little slow on the response but really good info!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Polar Bear said:
Thanks for posting that!

I've been meaning to try some time lapse with the GoPro soon.

Questions: Did you have to resize the pictures? How many frames per second did you use?
Definitely try it, it's really cool that they included that as an option.

I didn't _have_ to crop or resize the pictures, initially I just used Google's Picasa to put them all together into a time lapse video - it's really quite easy. But then I realized that only a small portion of the image had something happening. So, I did wind up using ImageMagick to run a batch to crop and resize the photos to the 1280x720 resolution used by 720p high def. Cropping out the center where the interesting stuff was happening also reduced the distortion of the wide angle lens. I played back at the fastest Picasa allowed - 30fps. I considered using another tool to up the rate to 60fps - or I could have deleted every other frame to get the same effect.

I think it's pretty cool that you can get high def time lapse videos out of the standard def hero, although obviously without sound, and they require a bit of work to turn into a usable video. I've figured out that with an 8GB card, my hero wide could record for 10-11 hours!

I also think a neat use of the feature would be shooting every 2-5 seconds on an otherwise boring ride, then switching to video recording at "normal" speed for the "interesting" parts. 1 photo per 2 seconds at 30fps is a minute per second of playback, and 1 photo per 5 seconds played back at 30fps gives you 2.5 minutes per second. Even a granny gear climb is gonna look blazing fast at that speed! :D

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Cool time lapse videos. I do have one suggestion, do a few less frames, and make it longer than 1 day. Not enough gets done to make it all that exciting. Maybe do one shot every 10 or 15 seconds and put several days together. I tried to convince my mother's boyfriend to do this with the house him and my mother are getting built, unfortunately he didn't.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Straz85 said:
Cool time lapse videos. I do have one suggestion, do a few less frames, and make it longer than 1 day. Not enough gets done to make it all that exciting. Maybe do one shot every 10 or 15 seconds and put several days together. I tried to convince my mother's boyfriend to do this with the house him and my mother are getting built, unfortunately he didn't.
Yes, definitely. I've been shooting every day for the past week, and want to cut it down to just where they're actually assembling things. Covering 7.5 hours in 3 minutes isn't bad, but I do realize that much of the time they're just moving around doing smaller things. I figure I'll get it all together into one video once the construction is done, concentrating only on the big construction, and try to keep the overall length as short as possible.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.