Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can use a 4GB SD card on our new 5MP cameras, but you cannot save a file larger than 2GB or it will corrupt the file. This will change in two weeks when we release an update patch for all of our 5MP cameras that will allow you to use a 4GB SD card and save 4GB files. That's 1 hour and 54 minutes of record time.

And our new 5MP cameras will last for 3 hours and 15 minutes of recording (straight or split up) when using Energizer Lithium AAA batteries. We're still testing run times with NiMH rechargeables but it is looking to be the same.

We're working on a second patch that will allow for 8GB SD cards and 4 hours of recording but the time will be limited by the batteries...3 hours and 15 minutes.

thanks!!! http://www.goprocamera.com

·
Sir Hurt Locker
1,018 Posts
How will one install the patch onto the camera? Also, are HCSD cards compatible with the GoPro camera?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
oooh, santa brought me a new 5mp camera...i had to order a couple 2 gb cards...please give a loud shout out when you have the patch for us....saving a 2 hour ride would be just awesome...shoot, why stop there, do they make 16 and 32 gig cards...that would be like 8 hours of video

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
GoPro said:
You can use a 4GB SD card on our new 5MP cameras, but you cannot save a file larger than 2GB or it will corrupt the file. This will change in two weeks when we release an update patch for all of our 5MP cameras that will allow you to use a 4GB SD card and save 4GB files. That's 1 hour and 54 minutes of record time.

And our new 5MP cameras will last for 3 hours and 15 minutes of recording (straight or split up) when using Energizer Lithium AAA batteries. We're still testing run times with NiMH rechargeables but it is looking to be the same.

We're working on a second patch that will allow for 8GB SD cards and 4 hours of recording but the time will be limited by the batteries...3 hours and 15 minutes.

any update on the 4 GB patch??

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
I will ping everyone when the patch comes out. I used a beta version of the patch on a 4GB SDHC and 8GB SDHC, and it worked fine. Got a tad less then 1:50 on the cards after applying the new patch. They are now working on a new patch to allow up to 3 hours on a 8GB card.

Steps to apply patch: download the file, unzip it, place patch on SD card, put camera in update mode, camera shuts down, restart the camera and firmware will have been updated.

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
GoPro said:

Hey Gopro

My GF has just ordered for valentines a go pro wide form you in the states (I'm in the UK).
I dont think she realised the exchange rate is not as good as it used to be...Anyway
Which SD card should I get now? 4GB? Many Thanks

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
catnash said:
Hey Gopro

My GF has just ordered for valentines a go pro wide form you in the states (I'm in the UK).
I dont think she realised the exchange rate is not as good as it used to be...Anyway
Which SD card should I get now? 4GB? Many Thanks
Get a 8GB card. The firmware for 4GB saves will be released soon, and then sometime later a 8GB file save, so it is good to be future proof. I used the beta 4GB firmware with a 8GB card and it is working fine.

·
Registered
351 Posts
SD cards

I see Pastajet mentioned that he used a SDHC card and was fine. I presume the non updated camera will use SDHC cards?
Can anyone give a few lines on what the difference is on the cards?
the GoPro is not 1080I quality, so will different cards render any thing differently?
Thanks for any info for a non electronic geek!! :p

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Ethan F said:
I see Pastajet mentioned that he used a SDHC card and was fine. I presume the non updated camera will use SDHC cards?
Can anyone give a few lines on what the difference is on the cards?
the GoPro is not 1080I quality, so will different cards render any thing differently?
Thanks for any info for a non electronic geek!! :p
Nope, it does not seem to have any issues with the SDHC cards.

·
Wanderer
855 Posts
Just saw this thread after I send Go Pro an email about recording time and card size.

I'll post again when I get their reply.

Being able to use an 8GB card would get me to purchase the camera for sure.

·
Wanderer
855 Posts
Heres their reply.
-------------------------------
We're still working on the firmware upgrade for the 5mp HERO cameras to support the 4GB SD cards and hope to have it available for download from our website within the next month. You can go to our website and sign up for our newsletter to be notified when it is released. Right now the camera is limited to saving a 2GB file, so if using a higher capacity card and you don't stop video recording before 56 minutes (2GB) then all will be lost.

We're not sure yet if we'll be able to do a firmware upgrade to be able to save files over 4GB.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Many thanks,

GoPro Support
http://www.goprocamera.com

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.