Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, getting ready for the spring and want to start shooting some riding videos. I have panasonics lumix DMC TS2 already... will that fit the bill or would it be easier to shoot with something made for it like the gopro. How about ease of mounting, downloading/editing the video?

·
Registered
226 Posts
good question. wondering the same. mounts will be better for the gopro obviously, but i think you can mod them to fit the TS2. if you can handle it being a little bigger and heavier, then no need for gopro since the TS2 takes fantastic 720p video.

·
Registered
890 Posts
That looks like a really nice camera. Personally, given you have the funds, a GoPro will be better IMO. The GoPro is made for some major shock treatment and adverse conditions. Also if anything where to happen to the camera, the GoPro is cheaper to replace.

Unless you can get a protective case, the GoPro make a much better option. The GoPro also has a wide lens, which is perfect for this type of action. I am not sure on the lens angle for your camera though. (site says it has a wide angle lens and also look like there are protective cases/hard cases available for it) I have confidence you camera would shoot great footage and quality.

Also, It may be easier to mount the GoPro than the Panasonic camera due to its shape and availability of mount options made specifically for outdoor activities like MTB. It may sound like it, but in no way am I trying to sell GoPro here, I just have had a great experience with it thus far. Ran into trees with it, many crashes it has seen and the case barely shows any of the crash scars. (Those where left to my body haha)

Maybe you could made a temporary mount just to see how your camera does, see how safe you feel about using it, find mounting options, see how much protections costs for it, and make a decision off of your personal results and usage amount. Keep in mind it shoots at 720p in 30 fps which is fine for most things, but 60fps is much much better for slow motions and to me in some cases just seems a bit more smooth.

Editing: Camera used is not going to make a big difference there I do not think, just depends on the format the camera uses to save the data. I use Sony Vegas Platinum 10 and it handles pretty much all file types, it is easy to use, has many features and if you look you can find it for $50 or less.

-Brett

·
CoolArrow
2,473 Posts
I agree with Brett - GoPro is probably the better bet; it has the wider lens, shoots at 60fps if needed, and is very tough. I've dropped mine several times, even ran it over too. Only damage was a scratched lens - which is replaceable - not so with your Lumix (which is a nice camera too, btw).

Sony Vegas works great. So does Video Pad, AVS video editor... Good luck!

·
PROEDGEBIKER.COM
1,304 Posts
dumbrog said:
Hey Folks, getting ready for the spring and want to start shooting some riding videos. I have panasonics lumix DMC TS2 already... will that fit the bill or would it be easier to shoot with something made for it like the gopro. How about ease of mounting, downloading/editing the video?
Try out a CONTOUR GPS too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.