Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the helmet cam thing and figured starting with a GoPro Hero HD would be a good place to start.

few questions before i let my wife pull the trigger for my christmas present.

1. regular or wide angle? Im guessing wide but don't want to buy the wrong thing

2. What would be good editing software for it? does it come with some or will i need to buy some?

3. anything else i should know? ill eventually get a HD camcorder for regular filming but figure a helmet cam will be a good place to start and learn how to edit and to have fun with.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have the Go Pro Hero Wide (not hd) and it's a great little camera. I currently have the Contour 1080p HD and I really like the adjust ability and the super easy record slider button. To answer your questions:

1. Wide angle, you see more of what's going on and it reduces shake in the video.

2. You'll need editing software. I use AVS Video Editor which isn't the most advanced but it does everything I need it to do. $60 for the download and you get 6 or 7 other cool programs. Windows movie maker or iMovie on a mac will work too I believe.

3. Mounts are important. If you get the GoPro get the chesty mount for sure. If you go the Contour route get the universal 1/4" mount adapter and the ultra clamp or one of the Ram brand mounts. Multiple angles makes for more interesting video.

They are both great little cams, with the GoPro you have the benefit of being completely waterproof right out of the box. With the Contour 1080p you have greater adjust ability and IMO easier use in the field as the GoPro's menus can be a bit cumbersome at times.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
A good friend of mine has been going through this process recently - pitting those 2 cameras against each other (Contour HD and GoPro HD). He ended up going with the GoPro....but so far, I have to say I'm more impressed with the output of the Contour....

Here are 2 videos, shot by the same rider (my friend), first one with the Contour (i'm the rider in front in that one BTW), second one with the GoPro HD. Now, it is a bit unfair, because the first video was out in the open on a nice and sunny day, and the second one (with the GoPro HD) in the forest on an overcast day. But I am still more convinced with the colours of the Contour HD....

They both give a good field of view, and manage shake pretty well. I can't comment on the user interface side of things, haven't tried it myself so far...

Contour HD:

GoPro:

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I use iMovie for editing with mine (don't have the HD GoPro yet). One big advantage to the GoPro is all the mounting options you get, not to mention the waterproof casing. I used mine at the waterpark and got some cool stuff with it. Like GearTech mentioned, the menu setup can be a bit annoying at times and I always need someone to verify that it's actually recording (unless I want to take the helmet off). Overall I've been very happy with it though, can't wait to get the new version.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I just got a Hero HD and I'm impressed. Your questions:

1. I think the HD Hero only comes in wide. But you can change the recording settings on the camera which can also change from full 1080p (1920x1080), but in my testing, the field of view (for mtn biking, chesty cam) was too narrow (vertically too narrow, like you either saw wheel, or horizon, not both). I got much better results going w/ the tallest setting, which is 960p (1280x960).

2. You'll have to buy editing software. Right now I'm just using Quicktime Pro, but all I use it for is to flip the image. Haven't really done anything else besides cutting things out. Haven't even added music yet.

3. You'll have to buy an SD card as they don't come with. Def get the chesty mount. It takes some patience and experimenting to figure it all out. I had to mount the camera upside down on the chesty mount to get a good angle. Especially if you need to get low in the attack position to conquer the gnar.

Here is my best test so far:

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
very cool man, is that your back yard? if so i am very jealous.

Im still torn between getting the gopro hd for chrismas or a leatt brace. ill get the other one for my birthday in may.

·
I heart the drops
1,105 Posts
Iceman2058 said:
A good friend of mine has been going through this process recently - pitting those 2 cameras against each other (Contour HD and GoPro HD). He ended up going with the GoPro....but so far, I have to say I'm more impressed with the output of the Contour....

Here are 2 videos, shot by the same rider (my friend), first one with the Contour (i'm the rider in front in that one BTW), second one with the GoPro HD. Now, it is a bit unfair, because the first video was out in the open on a nice and sunny day, and the second one (with the GoPro HD) in the forest on an overcast day. But I am still more convinced with the colours of the Contour HD....

They both give a good field of view, and manage shake pretty well. I can't comment on the user interface side of things, haven't tried it myself so far...>
What resolution and frame rate did you use on each video and how do you dub music over I am getting the Contour 1080p in 4 days

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
giantsaam said:
What resolution and frame rate did you use on each video and how do you dub music over I am getting the Contour 1080p in 4 days
I don't know, but I imagine he cranked those babys to 11... :D

As for editing and overlaying music...you need a basic video editing package (The new version of Windows Movie Maker that comes included for free with Windows 7 now handles HD formats natively - otherwise you need to buy some off the shelf package like the others have suggested in this thread). Once you get the SW, you'll need a basic tutorial to walk you through how to use it...the help file/manual of your SW should include everything you need to know to get started. Good luck.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
I just picked up a Vholdr Contour HD after having looked at all the options. Seems like both are capable of quality video. Personally, I don't like how the Hero mounts. Both are miles better than my old camcorder with external helmet cam plugged in, talk about cumbersome...

I hope to get some good footage out on the snow here real soon, we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have the Helmet Hero HD and have been super impressed with the qulity of video and the stability while filming. I have only had the opportunity to shoot ski and snowboard footage so far, but the helmet and chest mounts both work very well. I also got the bar/seatpost mount, the suction cup mount, and the rollbar mount. I figure it will get a lot of use in many different arenas. I do agree that the menu can be a bit tough to get used to and it is sometimes hard to tell if its recording or not, but it shoots great video. The taller HD format (960P @ 60fps) gives an excellent view both vertically and horizontally.

·
Registered
875 Posts
SylentK said:
I just got a Hero HD and I'm impressed. Your questions:

2. You'll have to buy editing software. Right now I'm just using Quicktime Pro, but all I use it for is to flip the image. Haven't really done anything else besides cutting things out. Haven't even added music yet.
Actually, you don't. Windows Movie Maker works just fine. Granted WMM isn't the most sophisticated editing program, but it is free and you can edit software with it. I used it to cut footage with my regular helmet hero wide.

3. You'll have to buy an SD card as they don't come with. Def get the chesty mount. It takes some patience and experimenting to figure it all out. I had to mount the camera upside down on the chesty mount to get a good angle. Especially if you need to get low in the attack position to conquer the gnar.
Correct on the SD card. However, I feel that the chest mount is a personal preference. I've seen both chest and helmet mount footage and I like the helmet mount better. I liken the chest mount view to sitting in a low car vs. the helmet mount view to riding in a raised up pickup truck...the view IMO is just less restricted.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've been using iMovie on my Mac with no issues. I did have some problems importing to iMovie directly from the camera, but if you copy the files to the desktop first it works great. Going straight into iMovie I was getting exactly half of the footage, the first half.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
rmb_mike said:
Actually, you don't. Windows Movie Maker works just fine. Granted WMM isn't the most sophisticated editing program, but it is free and you can edit movies with it. I used it to cut footage with my regular helmet hero wide...
No, actually, you DO. :)

WMM (the version that runs on XP) will not be able to import and edit HD footage. Only the newest version of WMM (that ships with Windows 7, and that will only run on that platform), will.

The XP version of WMM does work, it is however very picky with file formats etc. I found that to produce any type of complex project (with more than a couple of clips in it), you had to convert everything to wmv format before re-importing into movie maker, otherwise it would choke on larger projects. No such issues with dedicated software (like AVS4U that was already mentioned).

·
RIDE4FUN
284 Posts
I don't have a ton of experience with either of the but I played with a contour HD today and I liked it alot. It's cleaner looking then the gopro and is super easy to use IMO. If you're not sure it's on you can click the button on the back then hold your hand in front of the camera, if you see 2 little red laser dots it's on. It also give one beep when you turn it on and two when you turn it off, if it's mounted on a goggle strap this makes it super easy since it's right next to your ear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.