Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I could put up some more bike video but its been raining and snowing a ton here. This really isn't much excuse i know as Bri/PolarBear's been not using that excuse to put up some very nice footage

Shot a ton of video for this.

http://www.feedthehabit.com/skiing/gopro-hd-vs-vholdr-contour-hd-camera-review-snowsport-focus/

Summary: GoPro HD vs. Vholdr Contour HD

The Vholdr ContourHD 1080 and GoPro HD are relatively cost-effective, robust POV cameras. There's little to choose between them in terms of video quality; both are good. Both are subsceptible to producing jerky video, however, jerkiness can be minimized by using the cameras in appropriate conditions and with appropriate mounts. The ContourHD has a slight edge in useability but the GoProHD will be more resistant to inclement weather. As far as costs go, both are set at $299 USD.

For snowsports both cameras have well thought-out mounts. Non-helmet wearers skiing deep powder might find the ContourHD's goggle mount to be preferable as that mount is located high and won't be coated in pow. Helmet - wearers and those who ski in shallow powder or hardpack will find little to choose between the GoPro and ContourHD in terms of mounts and useability - practically speaking, the ContourHD's goggle and helmet mounts are at least as good as the GoPro's helmet and chest mounts. From a pure fashion sense the ContourHD's form factor is sleeker and less obstrusive then the toaster-like GoPro worn on the head. Using the GoPro chest mount remedies this fashion faux pas.

To summarize, both the ContourHD and GoPro HD are compelling POV offerings. Compact, self-contained, very configurable, excellent quality video and decent sound. There's very little to choose between them and what you pick will depend in large part on individual user quirks and what kind of use you'll have for them.

Read more: http://www.feedthehabit.com/skiing/...-camera-review-snowsport-focus/#ixzz0Zv6Mx7Fn

and to add to that some more videos with the ContourHD, ContourHD 1080 on the goggle mount and the GoPro HD with the chest mount in the Interior Pow thread

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice Review!

Personally, there doesn't seem to be much of a noticeable difference between the two cameras in terms of video/sound quality. As for the 1080 mode, this seems too shaky for POV clips. The narrow field of view may work if doing something smooth, like road cycling; but for mountain biking and skiing (point-of-view) I will always choose the 720 or 960 modes. Thus, I will only use 1080 for tripod shots (where the 127 degree angle gives a better [less flattened] representation of the trail).

My reason not to get the Contour is three-fold: (1) can't switch resolutions (and therefore angles-of-view) in the field. Since I like to use the 1080 for tripod shots, and often carry a mini foldable tripod (fits in a small point-and-shoot camera case) this wouldn't work for me. Once the trails get interesting (technical), it is best to get the camera off the head and on the tripod. (2) Secondly, the Contour is not waterproof. (3) Third, the GoPro has more mounting flexibility (it's own mounts and the frankenmounts that one can create with a minoura Swing grip and a VIO superclamp).

This year, HD is the craze. I wonder what will be next year's craze? Non-fixed focus? Built in view screens? Optical image stabilization?

Here's another interesting comparison. In one corner, weighing in at $4000-$5000 (with lense, the Canon 5DmkII:

In the other corner, weighing in at $300, the GoPro HD:

Both clips were recorded by the same guy. The Canon video does have music, which makes it slightly cooler, (and the picture quality is better), but the GoPro really does a nice job considering it's low cost, waterproof nature, and cold temperature performance, and small size.

·
Hardcore, in my own way.
121 Posts
If it helps people compare video quality, this is my first entry into GoPro HD for snowboarding:

Sound is not very good in the closed case so you will not be able to judge that because I disabled it in post production. Rendered in Vegas if you care. Oh and once mountain conditions improve the riding and videos will too :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Polar Bear said:
Nice Review!

Personally, there doesn't seem to be much of a noticeable difference between the two cameras in terms of video/sound quality. As for the 1080 mode, this seems too shaky for POV clips. The narrow field of view may work if doing something smooth, like road cycling; but for mountain biking and skiing (point-of-view) I will always choose the 720 or 960 modes. Thus, I will only use 1080 for tripod shots (where the 127 degree angle gives a better [less flattened] representation of the trail).
I take videos while on my road bike. I am already finding that the video from my GoPro HD (@720p) is more jerky than those from my old GoPro Wide. Here is the first HD video I took in wintry conditions last weekend:

I was actually going to try 1080p next but it appears this might even be more of a problem (jerkiness)... maybe I will try 960p instread or have the GoPro HD mounted on the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the comment from Mark in the Feedthehabit article was fine but i think I'd have to agree to disagree re video quality. Like PolarBear, I don't think there's much difference between GoPro HD and ContourHD 1080 in video quality. I'll add some more video links to the article so you can judge for yourself.

Re Sound quality, the GoPro picks up more sound but you can also adjust the ContourHD for better mic sensitivity and I didn't do so. They both pick up too much wind noise so I almost always disable sound and add a track. I'll add some untouched video so you can judge for yourselves too

For what its worth, there's also some other people who agree with Mark that the GoPro has better video quality. I tend to think that this debate shows that the video quality difference, (at least for video sharing via web purposes), if there's any, is slight.

·
Registered
427 Posts
cyclocommuter said:
I take videos while on my road bike. I am already finding that the video from my GoPro HD (@720p) is more jerky than those from my old GoPro Wide.
From what I can tell, the GoPro HD on the 720 setting gets in the same width (horizontal field of view) as the old GoPro Hero Wide, except it does not get as much in vertically. This is probably why it is shaky, from a narrower field of view (vertically). The 960 mode should get the same vertical height as the old Hero and be less shaky (being "wider").

·
Registered
56 Posts
jafa1970 said:
Nice perspective on the board.

Are you using the suction cup mount? Any issues with it coming off, I notice the GoPro guide says not to use it for impact sports like snowboarding.

Cheers
On the rear facing shot I'm using one of the stick on mounts (not the surfboard mount, which is what I would recommend using). On the forward facing shot, yes, that's the suction cup mount. I wouldn't recommend it either, because once it gets just a little water underneath, it will start "skating" around on the board surface (i.e. won't stay still). It only really works on a perfectly dry surface. I take the camera off when I get on the lift, so that's not an acceptable solution.

I got a couple of the surfboard mounts at the end of the season last year, but haven't had a chance to try them out. Hopefully this weekend!

·
Registered
133 Posts
LeeL your reviews are always a cut about the rest. Do you know if vholdr's waterproof casing changes the look to any video. I've seen the go pro with theirs and it didn't seem to make a difference. Just wondering if you had any insight.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
shmoove - my friend shot a splitboard video using the ContourHD 1080. Thought you might like it

Splitboards in BC from Tyler Wilkes on Vimeo.

More then any other video this illustrates my (admittedly subjective point) that the ContourHD 1080 and GoPro HD's video quality is roughly comparable

Darkside Lake
(GoPro chest mount looking forward - ContourHD looking back)

Darkside Lake, Duffy from Lee Lau on Vimeo.

and some other Vholdr and GoPro videos with 20 - 60cms of very light "blower" pow in the BC interior

(mix of ContourHD on goggle mount and GoPro on chest - you can tell its the Chest mount because my arms will dominate the shot)

More Interior snow from Lee Lau on Vimeo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
LeeL said:
Maxx - I haven't got the waterproof housing to try it yet. I'll try to get a sample to see how it's affected

Shawn - i really like that mount of yours btw! I wonder how it'll work in pow - guess there's only one way to find out
I think it would probably not work at all facing forward because the camera would pack with snow. Facing backwards.... maybe it would work for a few turns before becoming obscured.

·
Hardcore, in my own way.
121 Posts
LeeL said:
shmoove - my friend shot a splitboard video using the ContourHD 1080. Thought you might like it
Love it, LeeL. Looks like a chest mount for the ContourHD? Didn't know someone had figured that out yet.

You know, I looked closely at the ContourHD and the GoPro HD and other than different exposure settings, I agree that the quality of the image between the two is very comparable. I do not think you will go wrong with either. My only wishes for the GoPro include louder beeps for on/off and some kind of eye hole on the case so that I can tether it and feel even better about riding with it in the snow.

Oh and please feel free to send a few winter storms my way too. I could use some deep a$$ powder runs right about now.

jafa1970 said:
Do you have a photo of how you have the GoPro mounted? I wear a helmet, wondering whether to side or top mount.

Cheers
Jafa, I "arm" mounted mine on the side of my helmet for a few reasons. First I ride a lot of trees and didn't want added height to deal with. Also with it on my uphill side I can protect it better on my if I take a branch off my helmet. Lastly, my goal is to be able to flip the camera upside down using the arm mount for more of an "eye-level" viewpoint instead of a "slightly-above the helmet" look. I could do that now but without the firmware to reverse the picture, I would have to figure out how to do it with software which I have not had time to do yet. :D

·
Hardcore, in my own way.
121 Posts
Mmmm. That looks great, too! Damn you guys have a ton of snow. Heard it was the biggest November snowfall in 30 years at Whistler. Crazy ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.