Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really framebuilding I guess, but made out of bike parts and for bike-related activities! I have a GoPro camera and I want to do follow shots for BMX and skate footage. Everyone uses Sony VX1000's or similar around here so I wanted to build a mount for my camera to replicate the action of the Sony. This is the mount in progress. It is made out of a BMX bar, some flat plate and some 3/8 rod. The top bar will get a BMX grip and a chrome plug for the back tube to cover it. I will have to clear coat it first though. Let me know what you think. I just brazed it together today at school.

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! I was thinking about how to make it and had a bar hanging around in the garage. Its a Fit too so its actually a nice bar haha. They can really be made really simply and cheap if you have the handlebar clamp mount. I could have just cut it up and used the handlebar mount to clamp it to the knurling on the bar as well. Simpler if you don't have the means to do metalwork but not as trick. I think I'm gonna name it The Scorpion too. It kinda looks like an attacking scorpion! It just got about 5 coats of clear and will be finished and tested this weekend.

·
peace, love, happiness
403 Posts
Looks pretty neat. Problem with bikes is that when you turn, the bike leans over, and so does the camera. It's kinda a nauseating effect when you watch it on TV. Much better when you hold the camera in your hands and film. I suppose that is why the Tour de France videos mostly come from a cameraman hanging off the back of a motorcycle perilously while the motorcyclist is riding real fast.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice reuse of the bars. I can remember back when Terrible One came out with the handle-mount for the TRV-900.

Here's an interesting mount, but don't watch too long or you'll fall out of your chair...
The guy who created the mount has ties to framebuilding and his blog is always interesting.
That's exactly what I was thinking, I remember that and I wanted to make my own. Its a bit shaky and hard to get used to but works well. I will try to get more video with it this weekend. I follow Jeff quite a bit and I love his work. He could build just about anything! Here is a picture of the mount after paint. Amount of clear needed to coat it, about 2-3 coats. Amount of clear I applied in pitch black outside at 1:00 AM? About 6-9. It came out more opaque but whatever, I can always strip it and re-do it. I threw on some Odyssey stickers and stuff and a Giant grip with a Fizik plug. The collar behind the grip is to add a bit of weight to hopefully bump up the stability.

Attachments

·
Let's get weird
182 Posts
This is the T1 handle, quite different than your design and the one posted above, which that particular one looks to be off balance and a pain to keep steady and level.

Glide cam mounts have become popular (Joe Simon), maybe you could determine the balance point and add a weight down low to make it super steady.

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the T1 handle, quite different than your design and the one posted above, which that particular one looks to be off balance and a pain to keep steady and level.

Glide cam mounts have become popular (Joe Simon), maybe you could determine the balance point and add a weight down low to make it super steady.
I got the picture of the other one from here,
BMX Party Time! » Terrible One

I was thinking about dropping some sand into the lower tube to add some weight but it is actually quite balanced and light enough to throw around a bit while riding. The tube on the backside of the handle equal out the heaviness of the camera so it feels good and balanced front to back. There are definitely some improvements that can be made but overall I'm happy with the prototype. Thanks for all the feedback MTBR!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.