Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this has been covered, but I was playing with a GoPro HD and SD Wide and came up with an interesting idea - mount two of the same camera side by side, record the same thing, then somehow put the two videos together into an ultra-wide angle, high def 3D extravaganza! Side by side, the GoPro's are very close to normal eye spacing so the effect should be pretty good.

I'm thinking LeeL's videos, while he's 12 feet in the air, might be even more amazing.

Anyone got any ideas how to make that happen without too much in the way of specialized tools? I made some shots which have two images side by side, and they show up 3D when you cross your eyes, but not exactly the best way to be watching a video. :p

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've thought about that when I had two Hero Wides. But the problem was syncing the two cameras and also the software needed to process the footage. Syncing was a big issue since being off even a slight bit ruined the ability to make a frame 3d. With the new HD version of the camera and its accessory port maybe there will be a way to attach a remote start/stop button. This could then be used to start two cameras at the same moment.

·
Registered
427 Posts
hanskellner said:
...But the problem was syncing the two camera....
Once the cameras are turned on, you can gently tap the outside of the camera cases at the same time. This will create a spike in the audio track that you can later use to line up the two video tracks. I use this technique when swapping audio with a external sound recorder.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Polar Bear said:
Once the cameras are turned on, you can gently tap the outside of the camera cases at the same time. This will create a spike in the audio track that you can later use to line up the two video tracks. I use this technique when swapping audio with a external sound recorder.
I was thinking of something like this, but I had thought of firing a flash and using that to do the sync. Audio is probably easier, and then you don't have to have a camera with a flash!

The one thing I wondered about is how well two cameras would stay synched - let's say you get them to start at the same time, but would they both run at the same rate? I guess it depends on the accuracy of the internal clock, or timer, or whatever. Probably would be just fine for shorter segments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.