Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Frigid Bits info flier can now be found at Paramount, The Bicycle Shop and at REI.
The course will be reset by Saturday late afternoon. The route will be about 3/4 in length and flow as well as the prototype. Please stop Goose Lake with your bike and try out the course, it should be rideable by 4 PM .
 

·
HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
Joined
·
923 Posts
More info?

What's this all about? I live right across the street from Goose Lake and think I might want to come check it out. Is it racing on ice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goose Lake, aka, Frigid Bits Short Track Race

The Frigid Bits Short Track Race will be held on the frozen surface of Goose Lake, the course will be approx. 3/4 mile long with flowing fast turns, and yes it will be on the ice with a course texture. However, ice can be very smooth or very lumpy and I know the texture of the course will have smooth rocket fast straights and turns that you can do a 2 wheel drift through and some sections that will shake your bits !

The course should be open for practice on Saturday around mid afternoon !

The event is on December 18th, sign up starts at 12 noon, riders meeting at 12:45 and practice from 1 PM until 1:55. Heat racing will start at 2PM sharp. The heats will be 6 laps and the final 12 laps. There will also be a 5 lap pursuit race with the fastest rider from each heat race.
The are fliers at Paramount, The Bicycle shop and at REI !

Please stop by and say hi and race or watch and better yet I can always use a volunteer !

daveIT said:
What's this all about? I live right across the street from Goose Lake and think I might want to come check it out. Is it racing on ice?
 

·
Wood chips are stupid
Joined
·
779 Posts
New stuff

Hey Rio,
Its good to see someone comming up with fresh things for bikes in Alaska. Rallies, Soggy Bottom,SweetRoll and now this. Good for you. Whats next? I have listened to many of your ideas over the years. It seems I'm first on the recrute list. Always looking for someone else to take the heat I guess! Some ideas were hairbrain, others not. Behind every success are a million failures ;) At least someone is trying! I don't mind being a filter for ya'. Thanks

adeluxe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shhhhhhhh

Hi Leo Nard !
Thanks for the compliment; I think !
In your fresh things for bikes list you forgot to include my hair-brain idea called The 24 hours of Anchorage ---- yup, if we all waited for someone to make things happen we all may be waiting for a very long time. I learned a long time ago when life throws you curve balls you need to learn to hit curve balls !

the next summer races on the menu will all be secrets so I cant tell ........ The Sweet Rollz will be resurrected as a stage "tour" wink wink. using Lost Lake, Resurrection/Devils Pass and Johnson Pass and The Soggy Bottom will have a companion race called the Fat Bottom, which will be a 3 person relay " tour" wink, wink. These are secrets so I cant tell anyone! wink. wink !

Are you in town ? if so, show up Sunday and bang some bars at the short track !

akdeluxe said:
Hey Rio,
Its good to see someone comming up with fresh things for bikes in Alaska. Rallies, Soggy Bottom,SweetRoll and now this. Good for you. Whats next? I have listened to many of your ideas over the years. It seems I'm first on the recrute list. Always looking for someone else to take the heat I guess! Some ideas were hairbrain, others not. Behind every success are a million failures ;) At least someone is trying! I don't mind being a filter for ya'. Thanks

adeluxe
 

·
Wood chips are stupid
Joined
·
779 Posts
Oh yea...

Rio,
Yes,I did forget about the 24 hr races. You did start that here in Alaska. I remember when we worked on that one together. It is now a major bike event in Anchorage. Not gonna' be at Goose Lake. Bumping bars sounds good though. In Idaho right now. Bike is here! As you know,I can take a hint. Can you? Do you remember Coldfoot?

akdeluxe
 

·
HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
Joined
·
923 Posts
weather

What the hell is up with this 40 degree weather crap? I'm not an iceologist, so is this going to affect anything or is the lake pretty well frozen over?
 
G

·
Coldfoot or not

akdeluxe said:
Rio,
Yes,I did forget about the 24 hr races. You did start that here in Alaska. I remember when we worked on that one together. It is now a major bike event in Anchorage. Not gonna' be at Goose Lake. Bumping bars sounds good though. In Idaho right now. Bike is here! As you know,I can take a hint. Can you? Do you remember Coldfoot?

akdeluxe
Remembering Coldfoot brings back foggy eyes and halucinations from twice driving 15 hrs back to Anchorage after finishing the race. The logistics are tough but if we had enough folks to pay the expense of transportation and two overnights(one before and one after) at the truckstop we would be happy to give it a try next Halloween. All bikes no foot folks it just makes support logistics too tough. No sag wagons just a sweeper van to pick up the dead. It was a really cool ride in more ways than one. Zipping down the Chandalar shelf on rutted ice with no brakes----- picturing body parts flying through the guard rail on the curve at the bottom------what a kick in the pants. Picking up an old issue of Coast the other day with a story about the race brought back fond memories. Anyone interested???

Bill M
 

·
Mr.Secret
Joined
·
643 Posts
Bill M said:
Remembering Coldfoot brings back foggy eyes and halucinations from twice driving 15 hrs back to Anchorage after finishing the race. The logistics are tough but if we had enough folks to pay the expense of transportation and two overnights(one before and one after) at the truckstop we would be happy to give it a try next Halloween. All bikes no foot folks it just makes support logistics too tough. No sag wagons just a sweeper van to pick up the dead. It was a really cool ride in more ways than one. Zipping down the Chandalar shelf on rutted ice with no brakes----- picturing body parts flying through the guard rail on the curve at the bottom------what a kick in the pants. Picking up an old issue of Coast the other day with a story about the race brought back fond memories. Anyone interested???

Bill M
If you promise it won't be raining........maybe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Frozen

Hi !
I just arrived from Goose Lake and the hockey ponds that were cleared had about 1/8 inch of h2o, that we expect to freeze over night. We will be there most of the Saturday and hopefully by mid afternoon the entire course will be ready to ride. There may be areas of slush but what the hay, bring some extra socks, water wings or whatever .... the race will go on !

I will post a race update here late Saturday afternoon.
Carlos

daveIT said:
What the hell is up with this 40 degree weather crap? I'm not an iceologist, so is this going to affect anything or is the lake pretty well frozen over?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
race update 12/17

The race course is cleared and ready to ride.
Please check out my above new post dated 12/17 V2.1

rio said:
Hi !
I just arrived from Goose Lake and the hockey ponds that were cleared had about 1/8 inch of h2o, that we expect to freeze over night. We will be there most of the Saturday and hopefully by mid afternoon the entire course will be ready to ride. There may be areas of slush but what the hay, bring some extra socks, water wings or whatever .... the race will go on !

I will post a race update here late Saturday afternoon.
Carlos
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top