Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· "El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Goggles for Trailriding??? - X-Post from General Discussion

Hi all!!

Anyone have/had used goggles for average trailriding??

My riding spots are usually tight singletrack with lots of branches sticking out right at eye height. I use glasses but somehow I cannot avoid to close my eyes when I pass by a branch.

This causes me to go blind at some spots... no incidents, though but it ain't funny. I'd prefer to go full out on the bike instead of having to slow down because of the darn branches.... No way I would quit riding singletracks!

So, I was thinking maybe the increased protection of the goggles would be a nice match.

Have anyone used them for trailriding??
Do they fit well with a normal helmet and not a full face??

Any feedback is well received (even if it's for telling me I'm mad or simply dumb).

Thanks everyone!
El Warpo
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,080 Posts
And here I thought - seriously - that this was going to be a post with tips for searching (Googling) out good riding trails.

Only to find it's about goggles. And people say spelling doesn't matter.
 

· "El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rzozaya1969 said:
Warp.... go to Wallmart or Gigante or Comercial Mexicana, go to the hardware section and buy some protection glasses, they're about $30.00 pesos and seem to work fine.
I'll try some of those. Thanks for the heads up! :)

I still wonder if some googles would be better...
 

· "El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
skiahh said:
And here I thought - seriously - that this was going to be a post with tips for searching (Googling) out good riding trails.

Only to find it's about goggles. And people say spelling doesn't matter.
Really???

ooops... my apologies.... Sorry, english is not my mother language. I try hard but sometimes things just don't come out well....

My bad.
 

· Bike to the Bone...
Joined
·
8,281 Posts
Warp2003 said:
I'll try some of those. Thanks for the heads up! :)

I still wonder if some googles would be better...
Well... this glasses cost $30.00 pesos (about 2.80 bucks), and some googles at Marti's go for around 500.00. And they feel warm when I tried them on the store, I don't know how they would work on the trail.

Maybe it's just a fit question.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,080 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Really???

ooops... my apologies.... Sorry, english is not my mother language. I try hard but sometimes things just don't come out well....

My bad.
I really thought you meant you found some good results on Google.

When we have "spelling nazi" posts, there's always the crowd that says why worry about spelling. I think this was a perfect example.

I wasn't flaming you for spelling in this case. And given that english isn't your native language, I wouldn't ever do so. In fact, I'm envious of multilingual people.
 

· "El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
skiahh said:
I really thought you meant you found some good results on Google.

When we have "spelling nazi" posts, there's always the crowd that says why worry about spelling. I think this was a perfect example.

I wasn't flaming you for spelling in this case. And given that english isn't your native language, I wouldn't ever do so. In fact, I'm envious of multilingual people.
Thanks... point taken.

Just to clarify I didn't take offense and with "Really??" I wasn't being sarcastic. I just got it wrong.

Hopefully, more people will chime in with opinion on the topic thanks to your observation.

I don't mind being corrected when I'm wrong. I learn from it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Hi all!!

Anyone have/had used goggles for average trailriding??

My riding spots are usually tight singletrack with lots of branches sticking out right at eye height. I use glasses but somehow I cannot avoid to close my eyes when I pass by a branch.

This causes me to go blind at some spots... no incidents, though but it ain't funny. I'd prefer to go full out on the bike instead of having to slow down because of the darn branches.... No way I would quit riding singletracks!

So, I was thinking maybe the increased protection of the goggles would be a nice match.

Have anyone used them for trailriding??
Do they fit well with a normal helmet and not a full face??

Any feedback is well received (even if it's for telling me I'm mad or simply dumb).

Thanks everyone!
El Warpo
DirtRag did a piece on using safety glasses on the trail as a cheap option for eyewear. I grabbed a pair at Lowe's and they do quite well. Like the other posters mentioned, you can get them cheap and the full-wrap blade style will protect very well. You can get clear and all kinds of tints.
I have MotoX goggles that I use for downhill, but they would be overkill (not to mention way hot) for XC riding.
 

Attachments

· Trail rider and racer
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
Have you tried something like Oakley M Frames with a good sweep on the lens. I find these are more than sufficient for tight single track or even half track with lots of growth on the sides (speaking with 2 local trails in mind that I ride)..

I love my M frames and thing they are great.
 

· Rolling
Joined
·
11,119 Posts
skiahh said:
When we have "spelling nazi" posts, there's always the crowd that says why worry about spelling. I think this was a perfect example.
.
And it's true, it *really didn't* didn't matter. I read the context of his post, knew what he meant, hesitated in making a snide remark and then laughed cuz I knew it was a sincere spelling error due to language.

BTW, I was going to say, did you search using Goggle for some googles?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,080 Posts
lidarman said:
And it's true, it *really didn't* didn't matter. I read the context of his post, knew what he meant, hesitated in making a snide remark and then laughed cuz I knew it was a sincere spelling error due to language.

BTW, I was going to say, did you search using Goggle for some googles?
I disagree. If you were searching for goggles it's possible yu would have missed this post. And when I was scanning the topics, I thought it was about something completely different what it was. I probably wouldn't have even opened it if I knew it was about goggles.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I use them.....

in the winter or night-riding. Usually ski goggles or motorcycle goggles.

I don't have to think twice about that stray limb or bug. They can be a little warm in the fall but it is worth the inconvienence. I know I won't be stopping to dig a bug or stick out of my eye. Also I don't get the tearing from riding in the cold. Alot of the safety glasses work good, but when it gets cold the goggles are great.
 

· a.k.a. MTBMaven
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
Pyramex

Warp,

Better yet, support a company started by a guy in Memphis TN and some guys from Mexico. Pyramex (https://www.pyramexsafety.com) makes safety glasses that are cheap (~$5) and provide great eye protection. I use the Venture II. They come in tons of lens colors. I like the Clear, Orange and Sun Blocker Red lenses.

 

· "El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mtnfiend said:
Warp,

Better yet, support a company started by a guy in Memphis TN and some guys from Mexico. Pyramex (http://www.pyramexsafety.com) makes safety glasses that are cheap (~$5) and provide great eye protection. I use the Venture II. They come in tons of lens colors. I like the Clear, Orange and Sun Blocker Red lenses.
Thanks for the heads up!
I'd really like to support some paisanos and I really loved these ones. Nice protection and not as heavy or hot like full sized goggles.

I'd try to get a hold on them in Mexico.
 

Attachments

· Registered
Joined
·
23,745 Posts
forget the goggles

I'd say you need to skip the goggles and grab a folding limb saw to stuff in your jersey pocket or camelback. Any branches that are going to slap riders across the face and possibly cut or injure them should be removed. You'll be doing the next rider a favor. I take a folding limb saw with me on most of my rides. Some vegetation can grow very fast and one year you don't notice it and the next season it slaps you in the face or gets tangled in your handlebars. Consider it part of your volunteer trail work for the local community.

.
 

· "El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Titan Go King said:
I'd say you need to skip the goggles and grab a folding limb saw to stuff in your jersey pocket or camelback. Any branches that are going to slap riders across the face and possibly cut or injure them should be removed. You'll be doing the next rider a favor. I take a folding limb saw with me on most of my rides. Some vegetation can grow very fast and one year you don't notice it and the next season it slaps you in the face or gets tangled in your handlebars. Consider it part of your volunteer trail work for the local community.

.
Thanks for the tip... I'll try to. But seriously, vegetation can grow up here so fast that we could spend all rain season not riding but just cutting branches (which would not be so bad in the end).

Please watch this video... this would give you an idea of our trails.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Monolito
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
5,891 Posts
Warpo, tranquilo!

I ride in trails with the same problem that you describe, I use Spy sunglasses and the visor of my helmet on. Even with that I'll get the occassional branch on the face and closing your eyes is a natural unwanted reaction of your body trying to protect itself.

I don't believe that goggles (not googles) will solve the eye closing issue, it's just an automatic reaction.

The suggestion to carry a saw is a good one but honestly on how many rides have you taken a saw with you? I only do it when I'm going for maintenance not rides.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top