Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
fyyff
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're a user of the Google toolbar for your web browser, then please see if this Google sidewiki feature works. Since anyone can view and update it on the fly, it could be used for trail conditions. I've started it off with a couple of trails on the north end of the metro. As trail conditions change through out the day, simply edit an existing entry for that day.

New days = New entries.

For a beginners guide to using sidewiki...
https://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&guide=24296

 

·
fyyff
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
schnauzers said:
I'm afraid!

Being an IT guy and reading this post, I am confused, It doesn't seem to be all that different from going to my favorite bookmark. I though the whole idea was to find a way to txt message your cell phone.

Maybe I am reading too much into it. *sigh*
I suppose you could send it via txt msg, since you can send the contents of the sidewiki to an email address using the "Share" link. As a Sprint user, if I want to txt msg an email to someone, I use <ph number>@messaging.sprintpcs.com.

I was thinking that folks that live near a trail can update the sidewiki so that everyone else will know what the trails are looking like in a timely manner.
 

·
fyyff
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yetigirl said:
Go to the bottom of that page where it says "read entries" and then you'll be able to see what the OP wrote. However, make sure you are not in this thread, but on the page that lists all the threads for this Colorado Front Range part of the forum. :thumbsup:
You've got it! If you were on a thread, you'd be creating/reading the sidewiki for that specific thread instead of the top level forum (which I hijacked for the purpose of using it for trail conditions)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
day-o said:
I suppose you could send it via txt msg, since you can send the contents of the sidewiki to an email address using the "Share" link. As a Sprint user, if I want to txt msg an email to someone, I use <ph number>@messaging.sprintpcs.com.

I was thinking that folks that live near a trail can update the sidewiki so that everyone else will know what the trails are looking like in a timely manner.
But would I get it on my phone?

I dunno. Living in front of a trail and driving past one on the way home from work sort of gives me an idea what to expect. I know that not everyone has that convenience, but when I see snow in my backyard (south facing Golden), I can pretty much figure that nothing is available other than concrete. Unless it is 8:00 at night or 6:00 in the morning when things are frozen.
 

·
Pivot Rider
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
Gotta admit

that I haven't quite figured out how to do all this from my phone. My google toolbar doesn't show up on the mtbr page when I'm on my phone. Maybe a Blackberry is different from an iPhone. Anyway, doesn't look like I can give current info on a trail until I get home -- which is ok from one aspect, but not so much from the aspect of keeping it current. :(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
Yetigirl said:
that I haven't quite figured out how to do all this from my phone. My google toolbar doesn't show up on the mtbr page when I'm on my phone. Maybe a Blackberry is different from an iPhone. Anyway, doesn't look like I can give current info on a trail until I get home -- which is ok from one aspect, but not so much from the aspect of keeping it current. :(
Fagedaboutit.

I have a Balckberry, iPhone, and a Droid*. Nope. None of them make it easy. However, all of them have a Facebook app. Hmm... Maybe?

*I have to support our technology loving CEO and I don't mind new toys.
 

·
Pivot Rider
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
schnauzers said:
Fagedaboutit.

I have a Balckberry, iPhone, and a Droid*. Nope. None of them make it easy. However, all of them have a Facebook app. Hmm... Maybe?

*I have to support our technology loving CEO and I don't mind new toys.
Dang, Schnauzers! Seriously? All THREE??? I.a.m.i.m.p.r.e.s.s.e.d!

Facebook is a possibility -- but all of us that would want that info would have to be a "friend" of whoever got the "Front Range Trail Conditions" page started! hmmmmm........????? I'd say that most of us on mtbr are also on Facebook? We could upload pix and everything, ya know?!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
Yetigirl said:
Dang, Schnauzers! Seriously? All THREE??? I.a.m.i.m.p.r.e.s.s.e.d!

Facebook is a possibility -- but all of us that would want that info would have to be a "friend" of whoever got the "Front Range Trail Conditions" page started! hmmmmm........????? I'd say that most of us on mtbr are also on Facebook? We could upload pix and everything, ya know?!
Not anymore. Facebook introduced "improved" privacy features. We can start a Front Range group and everyone could become a "fan" of it.
 

·
Pivot Rider
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
schnauzers said:
Not anymore. Facebook introduced "improved" privacy features. We can start a Front Range group and everyone could become a "fan" of it.
It would depend on how you would set it up, I'm guessing. My Divas FB page is a "friend" thing -- so is BreckEpic I think, COMBA is a "fan", Honey Stingers is a "friend". There really isn't any rhyme or reason to how the pages are set up from what I can tell.... Prolly depends on how you name it as well....? maybe?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
Yetigirl said:
It would depend on how you would set it up, I'm guessing. My Divas FB page is a "friend" thing -- so is BreckEpic I think, COMBA is a "fan", Honey Stingers is a "friend". There really isn't any rhyme or reason to how the pages are set up from what I can tell.... Prolly depends on how you name it as well....? maybe?
Maybe. Dunno. I am not a FB expert. I only have like 25 friends or so. I do know that I always get updates from the ones I am a fan of, and my comments on their page show up. I know my bands FB page gets hits and comments in a fan setup.
 

·
Rolling
Joined
·
11,120 Posts
Oh great. Now we have the opportunity to share our lives with nearly everyone...google ...and face book.

At least the twitter option seems dead...whoo hoo.

I like this sidewiki though. I briefly looked at the API...be nice if text messaging can be integrated.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top