Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Keep things simple
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Close to me was built a multi-use paved trail when the city improved a road. Opened up quite awhile ago.
The trail has never been depicted.

Nothing. I even sent pictures. Nothing.

The way that one sends an edit is goofy. There is no allowance for an omitted item like the path I mentioned. A few choices appear under "feed back" but a sender has to choose from a super generic list such as "missing business" for a missing trail-not applicable. Seems like a way to deter an edit-why do that?

I have gotten a message thanking me for my input but….Nothing happens. Seems like a pacifier.

Bottom line. Maps portrays they want input, but they ignore it.

Anyone have this experience?

·
Professional Crastinator
6,824 Posts
I looked into this cursorily. I wondered why some trails seemed to be accurately and completely represented while others, that are used equally, are not found (or are incomplete) on the map. I found comments online to the effect that the que for map edits is enormous and the response time is months and months out. I don't know how they prioritize.

-F

·
Registered
91 Posts
It might not help if you need navigation or street view, but if you check out openstreetmap there's a good chance it will be more accurate then Google. And bonus if it isn't you can edit it yourself. Double bonus, ridewithgps, wahoo, and other map softwares rely on OSM, so you'll really be helping out everyone.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,052 Posts
I submitted an edit for a street near me recently. Google gives it the wrong state rd number (does not match the one on the street sign). For that matter, the state rd. number is secondary to the street's NAME, which Google never provides when navigating the area. It confused the hell out of my parents the first time they came to visit. I submitted the edit months ago. No response whatsoever.

At a previous residence, I also submitted some edits to the streets in the neighborhood, which were all messed up. It had my street going into my backyard, and turn notifications occurred in the wrong place as a result. Other streets in the neighborhood were incorrectly labeled. Again, no response whatsoever.

I don't even bother with bike-related stuff.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes one wonder. A huge outfit like Google, so seemingly all about every facet of their services down to the last detail, hugely competitive, indifferent to users trying to help them improve their product.

Plenty of reasons that make sense to Google, not so much to end users as to why they are so {you fill in the blank} about improving Google Maps via user input.

So much for the movie “The internship” and the supposed inside view of the Google way of doing things.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
I've had pretty good luck, most of my edits have been accepted. The only one that didn't was when I offered to re-name the highest point in Ohio "Mount McKinley" as consolation when Obama authorized re-naming the mountain to the proper name, Denali. The dude that climbed Denali was from Ohio, so to at least give some recognition, make the highest point in Ohio Mt. McKinley. Done and done. I guess that may not be up to Google though...

·
Advanced Slacker
15,778 Posts
I've submitted a few things to Google Maps over the years. Most have been accepted, though it can take a while. Three I can remember are alerting them to a turn that could not be made, alerting them to a turn that could be made, and pointing out that a shortcut they recommended had several stream fording.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.