Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I surf/skate and snowboard goofy footed. On non-pedaling downhill runs, I've always been more comfortable standing on the pedals with my right foot forward.

Right foot forward = goofy footed on a surfboard, so I'm guessing there's a correlation, though I haven't read about it (or really given it much thought until a few minutes ago).

Also, are you more comfortable pushing your bike (hike-a-bike) with the bike on the left or the right? Can a biker hike his bike mongo style?

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Heh....

Kanga said:
I surf/skate and snowboard goofy footed. On non-pedaling downhill runs, I've always been more comfortable standing on the pedals with my right foot forward.

Right foot forward = goofy footed on a surfboard, so I'm guessing there's a correlation, though I haven't read about it (or really given it much thought until a few minutes ago).

Also, are you more comfortable pushing your bike (hike-a-bike) with the bike on the left or the right? Can a biker hike his bike mongo style?
I skate (back when I skated) goofy footed. Same thing, right over the forward truck, pusing with my left foot. Everybody thought I was high for doing that, and gave me a ration all the time about it. It was just the way I learned when I was like seven years old on my old GoPher Skateboard. Remember those?

I bike right forward as well, but I don't know if that is odd for a right handed (or footed) rider. Sometimes I get on a kick to keep my feet reversed just to learn it, just to expand the skillz palette.

·
Nothing to see here
892 Posts
Yup, goofy foot and right foot forward on dowhills. When I push my bike, it's on the right side. Question: does right or left-handedness (?) make any difference? I'm right handed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i'm regular and i stay left foot front, i never really thought about it though, haha. i push on the right too while my goofy friend pushes left.

·
Gravity Tester
549 Posts
Goofy foot here too. Right foot forward surf, skate, snowboard and bike. Bike goes on the right when pushing, and not only that, climbing or descending "front-side" switchbacks sort of sucks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
huh, I must be the odd one then! I board goofy-footed but when it come to getting air on my bike my left foot is the one in front. If my right foot is forward then I don't feel stable in the air and feel a bit twitchy

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Kanga said:

Right foot forward is default mode for me, though I work on being able to do either.

Push and mount from the left side.

Turn better/easier to the left than the right.

Right handed.

Left eyed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Goofy foot skate, bike left foot forward, push on right side, kick a soccer ball right footed, right handed, but throw a frisbee left hand. Each side has its own little specialty.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Regular-footed skating and snowboarding, and prefer left foot forward for my "attack ready" mtb position.

I remember hearing somewhere long ago the foot you prefer forward like that being called your "chocolate foot". Yep, just verified on Google. I always liked that term; sounds cool to me for some reason.

Cheers, Chris

·
I just wanna ride my bike
845 Posts
shiggy said:
Right foot forward is default mode for me, though I work on being able to do either.

Push and mount from the left side.

Turn better/easier to the left than the right.

Right handed.

Left eyed.
Hey, that's me! And I also deal cards and tie twist ties left-handed even though I'm right handed - go figure.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
snowboard: goofy

bike: right foot forward...ergo by your definition...goofy :thumbsup:

dominant hand: right

sense of humor: goofy :eek:ut:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm seeing a trend here.... I didn't mention I'm right-handed as well.

It seems there is a correlation though, and if one surfs goofy footed, one will most likely ride right foot forward (at least when standing on the pedals).

Now I'll throw another variable into the mix... I spent the better part of my youth as a gymnast, and was/am a left-hand spinner (when doing twists I spun to the left, looking over my left shoulder). I could never do reverse spins. I find it easier to do tight switchbacks to the left, and feel less stable on right switchbacks. Correlation?

There are probably fewer former gymnasts than skaters/surfers on the boards, but the equivalent is doing a 360 on a skateboard. Do you spin to the left or the right? and do you find switchbacks easier in the direction you spin?

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Yeah...your outside hand controls your turn, so a left-hand turn will usually be easier for a right-handed rider. I'm right-handed, right-eyed, and right-footed, and I'm always faster on left-hand turns whether they're switchbacks or sweepers. It doesn't seem to make a difference which foot I put forward. On a skateboard your stance has something to do with how you learn to push; like whether you start out with your foot over the front or rear truck, and whether you feel more comfortable pushing with your weak or dominant foot. And a person can be right-handed and left-footed, too, which I suppose would account for right-handed people who ride left foot forward, or skate regular and push with their right foot.

Back to biking...once I learned that it's your outside hand that controls your turn, I made a conscious effort to do the same things with my left hand as I do with my right. My switchback skills improved right away, but I still miss steep right-hand downhill switchbacks occasionally.

·
Head First
134 Posts
Goofy on a snowboard, right foot forward on a bike. The weird thing is I'm left handed, but right footed. Anyone else mixed up like me?

·
Registered
268 Posts
stylie said:
huh, I must be the odd one then! I board goofy-footed but when it come to getting air on my bike my left foot is the one in front. If my right foot is forward then I don't feel stable in the air and feel a bit twitchy
Here to.
I surf (back when), skate (back when) and snowboard goofy. I bike left foot forward though.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts