Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i searched...didn't find anything. i was at the mall today, at dick's sporting goods and found on the clearance rack, some goodyear mtb tires. they were marked $10 a pop, but rang up at $8...hugely great deal. i own them, i plan on running them...i'm just wondering if anyone can give me some idea of what i'm getting into here. are they good? bad? ugly? what terrain would they be used for? currently i'm running bontrager trail connections. the goodyears seem to have a panaracer-inspired tread pattern, as opposed to the directional tread on the bontragers. so, any comments?

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm, i'll give 'em a shot. can't go wrong with bargain-box at the mall, can ya?

they also had this uber wide, smooth-tread kenda tire...but they only had one, so i didn't buy it

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update: i mounted 'em, rode 'em around the yard and up the street a little. recommended inflation was 40-65psi, and i got 'em at 50psi...they feel really underinflated though. more of a "plush" ride than my bontrager tires. they're quieter on asphalt, and grip more on grass...i have yet to try them on a trail though...i'll get a review up when i actually get them on a trail

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bucksaw87 said:
update: i mounted 'em, rode 'em around the yard and up the street a little. recommended inflation was 40-65psi, and i got 'em at 50psi...they feel really underinflated though. more of a "plush" ride than my bontrager tires. they're quieter on asphalt, and grip more on grass...i have yet to try them on a trail though...i'll get a review up when i actually get them on a trail
bump...the update i said i'd post after i got 'em on some trail use. these are wearing out quicker than my old bontrager...especially the rear tire. BUT, they do seem to hold a line a little more solidly than the bonties, and have a really predictable "drift" on loose sand and gravel. as i previously mentioned, they are properly inflated, but they feel quite soft. overall:
durability: less than desirable
grip: good on "solid" trails, but a bit slidey on loose stuff
weight: about the same as bonty trail connections
overall: they're well worth the $8 price...might be worth keeping a spare in your pack

oh, and they are markedly similar to the stock tires in Schwinn bikes...the "good" schwinns, not the Target schwinns

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another bump

the marked decrease in durability has reared its ugly head again...since i've had these out this spring, there's definitely some sidewall separation going on. i shoulda got pics, but they're bubbling out, and there's lots of cracks and splits in the sidewall.

darn good thing i kept my old bontragers hanging around...i'm gonna have to put those on my bike

·
Registered
589 Posts
bucksaw87 said:
another bump

the marked decrease in durability has reared its ugly head again...since i've had these out this spring, there's definitely some sidewall separation going on. i shoulda got pics, but they're bubbling out, and there's lots of cracks and splits in the sidewall.
Sounds like re-badged Firestone tires!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.