Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Goodbye Multitool

10K views 69 replies 34 participants last post by  geokite 
#1 ·
I've carried a topeak multitool for several years now but have used it very little. I've used it to break a chain when I munched my derailleur too allow two miles of pleasurable walk a bike but not for much more. Recently, I've been trying newer swept back handlebars (no winner yet). To get the position right, I've been adjusting the bar angle and, of course, the brake and dropper locations using the multitool during rides.

I must say, using short allen wrenches on a large bodied tool is a real pita. The tool is inconvenient to use because the large body is always in the way. On top of the bulk issue, the allen keys all rotate out of the tool for use and also rotate when I don't want them too. There are some bolts where I have only a quarter turn or so before the body of the multitool hits the brake lever or the dropper lever.

I am now carrying four long allen keys, a chain breaker, a small pair of folding pliers that I've always carried anyway, two cleat screws, and a derailleur hanger and it still weights less than the multitool. I don't use the knife on the multitool any because it is too small and doesn't lock. I carry a 4" folding and locking knife anyway to defend against mountain lions so the knife in the multitool is superfluous.

Perhaps someday I'll have a problem that my ad hoc kit won't fix that the multitool would. So far, the absolute worst thing to fix on the road is a flat that requires using a tube. The Maxis minions do not like to separate from the WTB scrapers and I may not be able to do this on the road at all, but the multitool is not helpful for this kind of repair.

See less See more
#13 ·
Here you go, young fella.
Multi-tool Office supplies Cosmetics Tool Hand tool

=sParty

#22 ·
If you know you'll be making a bunch of adjustments on the ride, bringing regular allen wrenches makes sense. But once everything is set, the multitool is compact and light for just in case use and is probably the better tool.

It's like if I plan to make fork or shock pressure adjustments to dial it in on a ride I carry my pump with me, otherwise leave it in the trunk of my just in case.

#23 ·
If you know you'll be making a bunch of adjustments on the ride, bringing regular allen wrenches makes sense. But once everything is set, the multitool is compact and light for just in case use and is probably the better tool.

It's like if I plan to make fork or shock pressure adjustments to dial it in on a ride I carry my pump with me, otherwise leave it in the trunk of my just in case.
Yep, exactly how I roll.

#31 ·
I do like to carry a seperate chain tool. First time I used the integrated chaintool in a Crank Bros multitool the thing broke. The Park mini is a good choice to keep in your hydration pack. For multitools, this Blackburn tool is slick. It has regular L-shaped allen keys in the common sizes and everything else you need. Wayside Multi-Tool | Blackburn
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Font Art Harmonica

White Font Line Parallel Auto part

#16 · (Edited)
Hey Junkie... after your first comment, I edited my post to show the Specialized multitool. I forget which exact one I bought, but obviously take inventory of the bolt sizes you have and choose the smallest multitool that works.

Also, along the lines of recommending a tools, I replaced my old steel spoke wrench with a Spokey. My steel spoke wrench fit 4 different nipple sizes. But after checking my bikes, all my nipples were basically 3.25mm - 3.3mm, so I got a dedicated Spokey that is super light. (13g Spokey vs 48g of the steel one.) EDIT- Also the Spokey grabs the nip at 3 sides instead of only 2 like cheaper spoke wrenches, so it's great for soft nipples. (aluminum)

For Google-challenged, type "Spokey" into the search bar. Pro-tip: don't forget to hit enter. :p
Font Audio equipment Circle Electronic device Magenta

Off topic- Snip didn't used to work here I don't think... but now it is. So that's a super easy way to post stuff. Just snip and paste.

#10 ·
... Bondhus allen key tool ...
^^^ FTW. It stays in an outside pouch on my Wingnut (tethered to the pack via strong magnet) where I can grab it in less than 2 seconds.
Plus a separate chainbreaker and a few other valuable small separate tools stashed together in a small zippered pouch inside the pack.
I use the Bondhus allen block a hundred times for every time I get any of the other tools out.
=sParty

#27 ·
I must say, using short allen wrenches on a large bodied tool is a real pita. The tool is inconvenient to use because the large body is always in the way. On top of the bulk issue, the allen keys all rotate out of the tool for use and also rotate when I don't want them too. There are some bolts where I have only a quarter turn or so before the body of the multitool hits the brake lever or the dropper lever.
FWIW I have bought quite a few multitools in search for perfection (e.g. see my disappointing review of daysaver). And settled on spurcycle tool being most handy. Hope somebody else doing a research sees this post and likes the spurcycle tool too.

#60 ·
#7 ·
telemike, I totally understand your frustration with that multi tool. I’ve carried a Topeak Alien multi tool for 22 years. It’s a tank of a tool with all the issues you’ve mentioned. Not sure if I’m ready to go through replacing it with separate Allen wrenches and such like you have. There are better multi tools on the market these days. Maybe some will chime in here if some better options.

#8 · (Edited)
Yeah i throw a full size allen-wrench in my pocket if I know I'll be messing with ergonomics during a ride.

Otherwise, I have a Specialized multi-tool that I haven't used for like 3 years, just for emergencies. It has drilled-out allen wrenches to save weight. That Multi-tool with included chain breaker is only 108g.

But I get it. Most people don't care about a couple hundred grams to save weight. I also sometimes carry a folding wood-saw with appx 7" blade to cut through small fallen trees, so I'm not a total weight weenie. But the specialized tool is pretty cool. The allen wrenches aren't even super short, just drilled to have a similar weight as shorter ones.

EDIT- Sorry, it has shorter allen wrenches than I remembered. Like I said, I hardly ever use it. It just lives in my bag.
Font Auto part Automotive lighting Automotive design Machine

#11 ·
I carry a small multitool but a Park chain breaker after struggling with one on a multitool. If I've adjusted something and suspect it may need tweaking, I'll carry the appropriate tool for it but otherwise I won't.

#24 ·
I still carry a multitool. it fits in the palm of your hand and weighs ounces. Mine save someones bacon every few rides. Its in a seat pouch, I always have it and never think about it. Tire levers are handy too, one is all you need. I don't do slime.

#25 ·
There are some parts on a bike where a multi-tool won't fit...but those are just crappy designed bikes/parts.

#36 ·
And that's what got me to the Fixit Sticks. Multitools that won't fit into the space. Not sure I'd call them crappy designed bikes/parts, though. There's always going to be a fastener somewhere that's difficult to reach, or in a tight spot where a clunky handle isn't going to work, or in an application where you need to tighten it more than a crappy little mini tool will let you. The thing that kills the utility of most multitools, IMO, are excessively short reach for the tool (that Bondhus actually gives good reach, but some of the others linked - yikes) and a chunky handle that doesn't let you turn the fastener enough within the space you have.

FWIW I have bought quite a few multitools in search for perfection (e.g. see my disappointing review of daysaver). And settled on spurcycle tool being most handy. Hope somebody else doing a research sees this post and likes the spurcycle tool too.
While I love my spurcycle bell, that tool - I can't even. So it's kinda like the fixit sticks except it's unnecessarily made of Ti (and therefore unnecessarily expensive) and it's too short? Gotcha. For that money, I'd rather buy this: T-Ratchet Kit – SILCA

#26 ·
For my main rigs, I currently have crank bros m19 for two bikes and 1up edc/pump on the third. Haven’t taken the time to compare weights between each but they tick all the boxes, m2-m8 t25 and a chain breaker. This thread makes me curious if i would save any weight by switching to individuals instead of a multi tool. Although higher priority for me is no pack/ only frame storage. So maybe a mini bit system would be a better alternative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.