·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,946 Posts

I like how they couldn't even get the paper cover on the Airo prototype without bubbles.

Great idea, if it works.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I think it can work, but for cycling, as maybe more of a novelty and not something you could usually rely on. The example of water condensing on the outside of a cold drink can or glass is a good one. I lived in places where that usually didn't happen because the air was so dry, the dew-point as lower than the can temperature. If it's solely solar powered, it won't make water when there's insufficient sunlight. Mounted on the top tube, I would think it would be in the rider's shadow much of the time. So, I think that as it is presented, it could make water, and maybe sufficient water under ideal conditions, but it couldn't be relied upon. Obviously, if you ride in a warm, high humidity, sunny place and time of day, it'll work better than in cool, low humidity area with less direct sunlight. Their map kinda illustrates that.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
It's a very hi-tech answer to a very simple problem. Most people are familiar with the area they are in and carry enough water. If you are using this instead there is the chance the tech will fail and you will not have water. How many people will want to run that risk?

·
Cycologist
7,820 Posts

I like how they couldn't even get the paper cover on the Airo prototype without bubbles.

Great idea, if it works.
lol, I could have done a rendering that looked better than that. Or anyone with Photoshop and a few minutes.

It's actually a "solar sleeve" but they could have gotten it looking better.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well, it will only work well if there is enough humidity in the air. Plus, how long does it take to refill? How long does the battery last? And how much will it cost?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,450 Posts
Crap

will never, ever be able to produce enough water
to survive on.

plan on using water bottles and camelbaks for the next 20 years...cuz this
magic ain't happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPvXnmBIO7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhnoSREmWVY

It will never work as described. They assume an efficiency of nearly 100x more than existing devices in the well established market of dehumidifiers, and have nothing to back that claim.

the laws of thermodynamics cannot be broken with a fancy arty indiegogo campaign.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I seem to remember seeing something like this a few years ago, and it took something like an entire day to get 4-500ml of water? Enough to "survive", but you'd be dead in a week or two if it's all you had.

I could be wildly mis-remembering, but I don't think so. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,450 Posts
with the size of the solar panel and the peltiter device they use and ideal
humidity, probably 60 hours constant sunlight to get 1 liter

BS

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
They assume an efficiency of nearly 100x more than existing devices in the well established market of dehumidifiers, and have nothing to back that claim.
Yeah, that sounds about right. I've used dehumidifiers in the past and a large one would take several hours to condense a litre of water. This tiny toy thing has no hope of producing a useful amount of water in reasonable period of time.

·
****** to the dirt
5,122 Posts
Yeah, that sounds about right. I've used dehumidifiers in the past and a large one would take several hours to condense a litre of water. This tiny toy thing has no hope of producing a useful amount of water in reasonable period of time.
And I wouldn't drink any water from a dehumidifier eww gross.

·
EMBA Member
1,985 Posts
I live in an area with lots of water sources. On long rides, I carry a filter that works fine for me. That bottle is a solution in search of a problem, at least for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts