Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. Some of you may already know this, but I figured I'd post something up since my posting days here are numbered. I'm moving out of the area in a few months (back) to Austin, Texas. This decision is primarily being driven by economics. I have a good offer down there, and it's increasingly difficult for me to save for a future while living in the Bay Area. It's been a good run, I've lived quite a life out here. I don't know when I'm leaving exactly, so I'm throwing this out there a little early.

Economic realities aside, the Bay Area has been my second home for a long time. Longer, in fact, than the time I've lived here. That's a much longer story. I will miss it and all of you very much.

I'd just like to say thanks to my mtbr crew for being not only my extended (near immediate) family when I'm so far away from mine, but as well for being a great forum. You've got your quirks, but its nice to have a place to go to talk about our love of mtb and not have to worry about a bunch of NWS / trolls / shitheads.

I have many fond memories with mtbr over the last 7 years, and I've made a ton of friends and had so many superb memories, too many to count. Here are a few honorable mentions:

• Meeting up with my old Austin pal Anthony Sloan for my first ride at UC /May By The Bay, which started from Cowell, went out to the coast through Wilder and back. I won a free pair of MTBR socks that day for cleaning a gnarly climb, and still wear them proudly
  • Boggs MBTB crew, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barley wine tastings and a misplaced camera conspiracy
  • Trailseeker (Chris) and son Evan for Deadhead kinship and musical inspiration
  • Francois and his office crew for allowing me to expand their culinary horizons locally
  • Kyle and Andy and the Stewardship crew for putting on the gathering every year
  • The Skeggs technical clinic and crepe breakfast ride. You'll never know what you do until you try. ITS ONLY A CHAINRING PEOPLE GET UP THERE. Maybe we can get one more going before I leave, but someone has to carry the techskills torch after I leave!
  • PTB / Water Dog Wednesday crew. Too many positive memories and great rides to even begin to scratch the surface.

Charles and Patty get special mention here for their tireless support of the bay area cycling community and still having enough energy left over to be gracious hosts, staunch advocates, and a pillar of support for us. You've been two of my best friends, and I feel that bears special mention here. You deserve every bit of success with Passion Trail Bikes and all that it stands for. I've been hanging around bike shops my entire life, and yours, without question, is the best I've been in.

• Mt Hamilton ride. Its so funny that NorCal mtbr is the premier destination for us roadies. Makes sense, really.
  • Turkey Ride, cheesecakes
  • Robert and his passion for SJ Bike Party
  • Snowjnky for being a source of true comic relief to NorCal forum
  • Dwight's hospitality in Santa Cruz
  • Rumpfy and his VRC crew being so welcoming to me at Keyesville every year. You guys are chill and thats good when you're trying to get a night's sleep before a trials competition!

If you've read this far and have a memory to share, post it up, otherwise I wish the lot of you positive vibrations and the best of luck with trail advocacy in the beautiful state of California. Apologies in advance as I've not called out many of you, there's simply too many great memories and not enough time.

If you're ever in Austin and have some time for a ride (or just a pint), PM me and I'll show you the good stuff. Maybe we can get a ride together before I leave.

Kind wishes,
Jay

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You win a pat on the back for your efforts with NorCal high school league, I think. I was a ride leader for my local HS, so consider yourself a good example.

If you aren't that guy, carry on.

Java, I never rode at Reimers when I was there, it was just opening. I spent most of my time riding City Park.

·
JRA
327 Posts
Hey, welcome back to Central Standard Time, whenever you do make the move! I'd be up for roadtripping south fer sher.

Crepes ride was damn good. Also, getting tired of waiting for people to argue about the next Skeggs route and blitzing out down Creek.

Dim Sum.

Pacifica.

Demo.

S'allll good.

Good luck! Don't forget to polish up your belt buckle.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,585 Posts
You are quite a character and will be missed. Fun hanging out and riding with you on the RoadBikeReview.com rides as well as San Jose Bike Party. When you know your date of departure timeframe, would be nice to plan some sort of ride beforehand; let us know! :thumbsup:

·
Paper or plastic?
10,298 Posts
J, thanks for letting me try your 5 Spot at Skeggs a while back (okay a long time ago). Wish you the best in Austin.

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
Be sure to conduct safety meetings in accordance with northern California traditions.
You need a stupid big going away ride.

ALSO Cold cuts on top of mt ham.
Some of the tastiest meat... EVER!

·
CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
1,289 Posts
rho said:
You need a stupid big going away ride.
Like taking your Bullit for a 5k day at Demo.:thumbsup:

If my job ever takes me down that way I'll be sure to bring my bike (it'll probably still be the SAME one!!! ha ha)

Good luck and happy trails,

Travis

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh Lordy I remember that. Not only did I take my bullit, but I had armor, full face, flats and 2x DH tires. THEN we had to climb back out to the slide.

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
J,
Good Luck with the transition.
up here in the Norcal scene we were lucky to have someone like you to ride with. Great attitude, funny, always down for a PBR , killer baklava and cheesecake, and who else can do burnouts at SJBP???
Come back soon and often.

I still need to get you your signed BSNYC book. Don't leave without it.

A going away ride seems to be in order.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
dang.. Well best of luck J with you endeavors! I always enjoy riding with ya, end enjoying your edible creations even more!

You have to come back often. So put the d-ville gatherings on your calendar! (or at least mail some of your baklava! ;))

1 - 20 of 63 Posts