Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Got a suspension fork
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's about time for me to get serious about looking for new shoes. I've got new winter riding shoes that work great around here (Lake MX140's). Next up is the warmer weather riding shoes.

Preference is for velcro, I just don't trust buckles and other fasteners to last the test of time.

Stiff sole, lightweight is good, ventilation good. Trying to stay under or not far over $100.

Any shoes that you'd heartily recommend, that are comfy, durable and fit the bill?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
randyharris said:
It's about time for me to get serious about looking for new shoes. I've got new winter riding shoes that work great around here (Lake MX140's). Next up is the warmer weather riding shoes.

Preference is for velcro, I just don't trust buckles and other fasteners to last the test of time.

Stiff sole, lightweight is good, ventilation good. Trying to stay under or not far over $100.

Any shoes that you'd heartily recommend, that are comfy, durable and fit the bill?
A tad over your budget, but as your so bling bling now....

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=56688

Bought a pair three years ago for Xterra races (no buckle to deal with). Had to apply some shoe goo to the toe as so worn now, but love these shoes. Great power transfer, light with carbon sole and very comfy! Highly recommend.
 

·
Blood, Sweat, and Gears
Joined
·
226 Posts
I would second the 5.10 comment. I use the 5.10 Impact which can be found for about $90 and usually Amazon has with free shipping. They run true to size and are super comfortable and the stiff soles wear like iron. I use mine with Azonic Accelerator pedals and it feels like you’re clipped in. :thumbsup:
 

·
Ahhh the pain....
Joined
·
2,566 Posts
Randy, I like my Shimano M076's which have 3 velcro straps but Shimano is discontinuing them and subsequently, only certain sizes are available. (i.e. Jenson for $59). I like them since they have rubber soles and are quite HAB friendly. I have also extended their life with some shoe goo. I was able to find the M086's on closeout but they have 2 velcros and a buckle..(same construction). Glad I bought those since I'll have to find a new shoe model in a few years.

Blue Sky Cycling has some Lake MX165's in limited sizes...that shoe has a vibram sole so it's probably pretty tough (and heavy).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
Fletch 1 said:
I would second the 5.10 comment. I use the 5.10 Impact which can be found for about $90 and usually Amazon has with free shipping. They run true to size and are super comfortable and the stiff soles wear like iron. I use mine with Azonic Accelerator pedals and it feels like you're clipped in. :thumbsup:
5 10S are NOT a good XC option, and no, no matter what they feel like, they are no comparison to clipless.
 

·
Got a suspension fork
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Raybum said:
Randy, I like my Shimano M076's which have 3 velcro straps but Shimano is discontinuing them and subsequently, only certain sizes are available. (i.e. Jenson for $59). I like them since they have rubber soles and are quite HAB friendly. I have also extended their life with some shoe goo. I was able to find the M086's on closeout but they have 2 velcros and a buckle..(same construction). Glad I bought those since I'll have to find a new shoe model in a few years.

Blue Sky Cycling has some Lake MX165's in limited sizes...that shoe has a vibram sole so it's probably pretty tough (and heavy).
Are they really about 670 grams without cleats?

And to the FiveTen recommendations, I use Speedplay frog clipless so that's a no go.
 

·
Blood, Sweat, and Gears
Joined
·
226 Posts
Wow Skinny! So no suggestion to help Randy but just to point out that I am wrong? Awesome, Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
Fletch 1 said:
Wow Skinny! So no suggestion to help Randy but just to point out that I am wrong? Awesome, Thanks!
Sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

I don't have any recommendations because I ride the Sidi (too expensive, and has buckles, so despite being an awesome shoe, fall outside Randy's parameters) and 5 10s (I don't need to explain why these are not recommended, do I?).

I'm not going to recommend something I have zero experience with.

(Am I forgiven?)
 

·
Control Freak
Joined
·
326 Posts
skinny-tire said:
Sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

I don't have any recommendations because I ride the Sidi (too expensive, and has buckles, so despite being an awesome shoe, fall outside Randy's parameters) and 5 10s (I don't need to explain why these are not recommended, do I?).

I'm not going to recommend something I have zero experience with.

(Am I forgiven?)
Sheesh..really...if you have no experience then why even comment on it :) my 2 cents. Im new to the sport and I like my 5 10's. I know people who ride both and accomplish the same trails riding flats or clipless....either way..he asked for recommendations...I recommend 5 10's. :)

Oh and your forgiven I suppose...but I think a guiness and a shot of whiskey would make us all feel better :)

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I love Sidi's. they fit like a glove and the sole is stiff but I have to wait until they are on sale before they are in my price range. Remember the shoe company's Lasts ,the mold in which the shoe is built around, are not the same from one company to the next, so you'll need to try on each brand of shoe to find one that works with your feet. After you find the right brand just order them online. Just my 2 cents.
 

·
parenting for gnarness
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
randy, do you want 'racer-y' shoes, or enduro-y shoes? perl izumi x-alp series for the latter. best sole i've ever seen in an mtb shoe. very walkable too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Sette shoes are cheap, pretty comfortable, and durable. Here are my well worn.(beat to rat crap actually) Sette shoes.

Main thing to note is that as beat up as they are, they are not coming apart. I have ridden lots of rocky trails, including ones with a good bit of hike-a-bike, and trails that require numerous retries, so lots of putting the foot down and walking back to get reset for another go, so they have been hammered on rocks a lot.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
I've used Specialized shoes for many years and the last pair I bought did not have a neoprene gravel gaiter around the ankle. Now I get gravel in my shoes when I hike a wash or whatever....pia having to stop and empty shoes every so often.
Never had that problem before, so that's my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
I have new sidi dominators. they are no where near as nice as my old ones. The fit is even different. So be carefull things change. Oh and my new ones look older than my old ones, I have had them since Nov.
 

·
Got a suspension fork
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
chollaball said:
randy, do you want 'racer-y' shoes, or enduro-y shoes? perl izumi x-alp series for the latter. best sole i've ever seen in an mtb shoe. very walkable too.
Interesting, I never actually thought about it in those terms... Given that the Diadora's that I've had for 15+ years weigh under 400 grams per pair with cleats, I about barf at the idea of 700 or 800 gram shoes, so I guess that makes me wanting racer-y shoes. But for god sakes not something like the gawdy high end Sidi's.

Oh hell, I may have to break from my desire about no buckle and just hope it lasts.
 

·
parenting for gnarness
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
randyharris said:
Interesting, I never actually thought about it in those terms... Given that the Diadora's that I've had for 15+ years weigh under 400 grams per pair with cleats, I about barf at the idea of 700 or 800 gram shoes, so I guess that makes me wanting racer-y shoes. But for god sakes not something like the gawdy high end Sidi's.

Oh hell, I may have to break from my desire about no buckle and just hope it lasts.
imo, if you keep it for 15 yrs a few dollars extra should not be your sticking point.

i have bucklers on both my Lake 190's (for my Somo\tech bike) and my PI x-alps. I would have preferred no buckle, but have not had a problem.
 

·
Ahhh the pain....
Joined
·
2,566 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top