Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
wannabe xc'er
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am trying to get into xc cheap, I cant afford a really nice bike right now. My plan was to build up an access frame into a nice light xc bike, but when I figured out how much it would all cost I changed my mind. I need a bike by the first week of February because I am doing a race, and my mountain bike now might not make it. Do you have any suggestions for a nice cheap hardtail? I am really not sure what to do now.
Thanks a lot,
Jason

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
KrayZ said:
Hi,
I am trying to get into xc cheap, I cant afford a really nice bike right now. My plan was to build up an access frame into a nice light xc bike, but when I figured out how much it would all cost I changed my mind. I need a bike by the first week of February because I am doing a race, and my mountain bike now might not make it. Do you have any suggestions for a nice cheap hardtail? I am really not sure what to do now.
Thanks a lot,
Jason
The Giant XTC hybrid has an aluminum front triangle and carbon fiber rear triangle for 350$ frame alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
KrayZ said:
Hi,
Thanks a lot,
Jason
Unexpectedly my ’02 Fisher Sugar frame cracked

Just purchased a Giant XTC hardtail frame

All aluminum ‘05

Ordered through lbs (Giant dealer) for $400, delivered to me in 4 days

Attachments

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I would probably start looking on Ebay at some of the used hardtails. Two obvious choices for used hardtails in the 400-500 range and maybe cheaper would be the Specialized Stumpjumper and the Giant XTC from 1999-2002 mostly because they were the most popular race hardtails. The downside on these bikes will be the forks. They will probably have serviceable old SID forks that you will probably want to get rid of eventually. What you need to look for is a bike with a SID and XT/XTR, and 517 wheels lace to light hubs. I just checked on EBay and I saw several Stumpjumper that fit the bill.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
KrayZ said:
Hi,
Thanks a lot,
Jason
if this is your size it's an awesome frame!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7203815739&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

·
wannabe xc'er
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
price

well i was hoping to find something used for less than 4, if that is possible.

·
Never worng!
622 Posts
KrayZ said:
well i was hoping to find something used for less than 4, if that is possible.
You can get a really good Iron Horse HT (North Face brand on the bike) for under $400 at Dick's.
Iron Horse made bikes for North Face and they were sold at the Galyans stores.
Dick's bought Galyans and drastically reduced the price.
I bought the Yavapai which is a Maverick Disc for $249. Was orig. $499.
Some of the components are better and some not as good as the Maverick Disc
plus the colors were changed.

I've had the bike for 7 months. Rode it XC and DH and everywhere in between.
Great bike. Has never given me any trouble.

The next 2 HT bikes up from mine are the Pumori and Denali.
Forget which one is the Iron Horse Warrior???

Dick's is clearing out all the North Face bikes that are left because they
started selling the Iron Horse brand. It's worth checking it out if you like Iron Horse.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ibex Bikes

Have you checked out them Ibex bikes in the Hot Deals section. They are selling right in your price range brand new. The seem to get good reviews here. Otherwise what is wrong with your old mountain bike are there any salvagable parts. You can ebay it for replacement parts and get it back on the road. or get a newer frame and swap all your good parts onto it. If your frame is good you can get it a newer setup pretty cheap. I think it is really a good time to get deals on ebay because everybody is spending there money on gifts for the holidays.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If the Trek 9.8 in the last post checks out, snag it! They are quick, lively and very smooth. The frames are guaranteed for life. A Stumpy , while efficient, will pound the [email protected] out of you. The Giant XTC Hybrids look pretty good too ([email protected] Bikes in Boise)- I'm building one for next season.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey i am not a big racer yet........but i have a farely cheap hardtail. I have a 2005 Raleigh m80 disk. This bike cost me $580 but i dont think it would be a great race bike stock, but if u are just looking to get a cheap hardtail for a racce every once in a while then i would go with my bike, i havnt had much trouble out of it at all considering i ride 2-3 times a week for the past seven months. I love my bike chech it out at www.raleighusa.com.

·
Registered
762 Posts
$ 375.00

MTB'n for life said:
Hey i am not a big racer yet........but i have a farely cheap hardtail. I have a 2005 Raleigh m80 disk. This bike cost me $580 but i dont think it would be a great race bike stock, but if u are just looking to get a cheap hardtail for a racce every once in a while then i would go with my bike, i havnt had much trouble out of it at all considering i ride 2-3 times a week for the past seven months. I love my bike chech it out at www.raleighusa.com.

I bought this 2005 Orbea Scape in in the Box for $375.00 Scadium Tubes and light

Size 20" with a 24" top tube 1391 grams !!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts