Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting back into this and decided to update an older bike with new wheels. I visited some local bike shops I’ve been discouraged by some of the really bad info and advice I’ve been given. Also the general lack of knowledge. I want to support local but I’m a bit concerned. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
307 Posts
For road stuff I go to Cycles BiKyle in Bryn Mawr, but for mountain I always go to Cadence in Philly. They’ve built multiple wheels for me and their definitely quality. That said, I did provide them the hub, rim, and spokes, but I’m sure you could work with them On what you’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on how far west you're willing to travel, but a living legend in the area are Shirks Bike Shop near East Earl. There are literally articles about the owner and his passing for building a large shop from originally truing wheels.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For road stuff I go to Cycles BiKyle in Bryn Mawr, but for mountain I always go to Cadence in Philly. They’ve built multiple wheels for me and their definitely quality. That said, I did provide them the hub, rim, and spokes, but I’m sure you could work with them On what you’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bryn Mawr isn’t far. I live out past KOP. Being this is for an old Cannondale, I may end up supplying at least the front hub as not a single bike shop says they can get them...but they are available from a couple online places.
Depends on how far west you're willing to travel, but a living legend in the area are Shirks Bike Shop near East Earl. There are literally articles about the owner and his passing for building a large shop from originally truing wheels.
Had to look up East Earl..despite traveling in that area for many years I never noticed that town name!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just getting back into this and decided to update an older bike with new wheels. I visited some local bike shops I’ve been discouraged by some of the really bad info and advice I’ve been given. Also the general lack of knowledge. I want to support local but I’m a bit concerned. Any recommendations?
I definitely support the desire to stay local, but given the challenge(s) around component availability, some of the larger "hybrid" shops with physical and online presence give you a way better chance of getting the wheelset built the way you want it with the parts you want. I usually build my own wheels (I'm in the Philly burbs) but I used Colorado Cyclist for my last set because I simply couldn't source the components (particularly the hubs) in any reasonable timeframe. I've also used ProWheelBuilder for a set of fatbike wheels and they did a great job, relatively quick turnaround, and they usually inventory a good supply of hub and rim options.

Depending on your interest in learning how to build wheels, it's actually quite easy. If you are lucky enough to find the parts in stock, you can build them yourself. Plan on 3-4 hours for a wheelset the first time you do it, since you'll almost certainly screw up a spoke direction at some point.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely support the desire to stay local, but given the challenge(s) around component availability, some of the larger "hybrid" shops with physical and online presence give you a way better chance of getting the wheelset built the way you want it with the parts you want. I usually build my own wheels (I'm in the Philly burbs) but I used Colorado Cyclist for my last set because I simply couldn't source the components (particularly the hubs) in any reasonable timeframe. I've also used ProWheelBuilder for a set of fatbike wheels and they did a great job, relatively quick turnaround, and they usually inventory a good supply of hub and rim options.

Depending on your interest in learning how to build wheels, it's actually quite easy. If you are lucky enough to find the parts in stock, you can build them yourself. Plan on 3-4 hours for a wheelset the first time you do it, since you'll almost certainly screw up a spoke direction at some point.
I actually did start looking at places like Prowheelbuilder and actually specd out a wheelset last night to see what it would cost. They has Lefty 1.0 hubs as an option from Project 321
live been tempted to try it myself. I haven’t wrenched on bikes in 15 years but I’m overhauling and updating a 2006 Cannondale and it’s been a fun project so far. Wheels just look tedious....maybe I need to watch some more videos to inspire me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There are endless videos online - I’d love to learn to build a wheel some day. I’ve ordered Wheels from a couple of online builders (prowheelbuilder, wheelbuilder, Colorado cyclist) and on the whole, I think they’re better than your local shop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I heard back from the original shop I bought the bike from and all they can source on their own are wheels and spokes.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Well I heard back from the original shop I bought the bike from and all they can source on their own are wheels and spokes.
That's what I suspected. You'll probably get a better wheel elsewhere anyway. Can't go wrong with DT Swiss 240 or 350 hubs, DT Comp spokes, and a quality rim. I personally recommend always using brass nipples. The weight savings of allow aren't worth their fragility and vulnerability to corrosion (particularly in PA with road salt).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I suspected. You'll probably get a better wheel elsewhere anyway. Can't go wrong with DT Swiss 240 or 350 hubs, DT Comp spokes, and a quality rim. I personally recommend always using brass nipples. The weight savings of allow aren't worth their fragility and vulnerability to corrosion (particularly in PA with road salt).
I was conversing last night via email with prowheelbuilder.com about a build using a project 321 lefty hub and a DT Swiss 350 rear. Looking at Stans Arch rims. Waiting to get a quote

1 - 11 of 11 Posts