Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just started riding and have been using Polar water bottles. I like the fact they are insulated and do keep the water cold longer....but they make the water taste like plastic. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I think every single bottle I've ever owned made the water taste like plastic forever. The best way is to rinse them well frequently and fill them up just before you actually ride. That way the water doesn't have enough time to really get the plasticy taste. I also store them completely filled with water. That keeps them from stinking up which leads to bad taste even after washing.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Every bottle but the Nalgene (sp) type or PET bottled water bottles does that to some extent. Both of those are a PITA to use while riding.

Specialized bottles are not bad and are all I use.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Don't use water bottles any more, but when I did I used whatever was handy. The plastic taste goes away after a while and if you're really thirsty the taste didn't seem to matter much. Personally I like the hydration packs much better.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've stopped filling water bottles and just use a Poland Springs sport bottle. No filling or cleaning. they fit is a bottle cage and come with a valve cap. Zero on the style factor but at 53 in spandex style is not a big issue anyway. Works for me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Standard bottles here...........never had a problem with the plastic taste.

Just make sure they dry thoroughly, and quickly, otherwise, keep them full, and in the fridge like the guy above said. That's what I do with all of my hydration pack bladders.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use the Polar bottles and don't notice any taste. Mine kept ice frozen for over three hours. Right now I got a North Face backpack that has a hydration system in it, but I'll still use the bottle for short rides. If you really want something different than the polar bottle try Sigg waterbottles. I saw them at the shop I got the Nort Face Pack from. They are metal and leave no tast (according to them). You can get three different tops, a screw in one that you have to take off to drink, a normal (I think) top with a cover, and then the standard top.

http://www.swissbottle.com/bin/category.asp?category=6

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Specialized 'Big Mouth' bottles are the best, in my opinion. You'll find that many LBS use Specialized for their shop printed bottles. Tops are interchangeable, most are translucent, and the valve is easy to open / close without using your hands. These are the only bottles I have, and I have about 20 of 'em!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I just drink from the nearest stream, creek, or puddle. :D

j/k
I have a Nalgene bottle that fits perfectly in my water bottle cage, but I only use it for Gatorade or a sports drink. I have a camelbak for my big water supply.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't use bike specific water bottles anymore. They fit in my Blackburn bottle carriers too tight and are a PITA to remove on a technical single track like I ride all the time. I use prefilled sport bottles of "natural spring water" what ever that is. Buy a pack of 24 at Wally World cheap. The caps on sport bottles are easier to open than bike bottles. I reach down and grab the bottle by the cap which opens it for a quick swig. Shoving it back in the carrier by the cap closes it. Works just peachy for me. I don't use camel back type packs because they make my back sweat in this hot hell hole of a desert I ride in. Besides IMHO only wussies need cold water on a ride. I have a canteen of cold water back in the Suzuki Samurai I use to get to remote trail heads along with a nice beverage and some energy bars....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Camelbak Podium is good. A heard a good things about this bottles. Also BPA free...

Someone now, are Podium bottles all free of BPA, or only from 2008, when Camelbak produce material witout BPA, phthalate,...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I put about 2 inches of water in the bottom, freeze it, then fill with vodka. It stays cold and doesn't taste of plastic...at least not after a couple of swigs.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
fred3 said:
Don't use water bottles any more, but when I did I used whatever was handy. The plastic taste goes away after a while and if you're really thirsty the taste didn't seem to matter much. Personally I like the hydration packs much better.
Yeah. I just use one bottle on the bike filled w/ some sort of energy drink. That way you can't taste the bottle anyhoo.

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
I bought a bottle off the Chris King website - I never noticed a plastic taste (have had it for a year and a half now), is BPA free, and made in the USA. Downside is it has the standard top, so it gets to be a bit of a pain...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.