Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a completely stock M80 from a few years back that I just pulled out of the basement and want to do some work to. I don't know a lot about much when it comes to bikes I'm not going to lie but I'd like to start somewhere. What is a good front suspension you can recommend to upgrade my stock setup and give it a nice improvement. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, not anything top of the line. Thanks.

· Freshly Fujified
8,196 Posts
Marzoccho MX series

I believe your bike has a fork with 80 mm travel. Double check to see what it has. In any event a good, sensible upgrade would be to find a leftover '05 or '06 Marzocchi MX Comp or MX Pro fork with the right travel (85 mm or 105 mm, whichever is closest to the M 80 stock fork). They can be had for around $225-250 and are above average, relaible performers.

Bob

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What should I look for when searching for a new fork. I want to make sure it will fit my bike, and am not exactly sure how to tell, especially if I am going to be buying off eBay or another source where returns aren't the easiest option. Are there specific specs or measurements I should look into?

· Registered
297 Posts
Other then the fork travel that, as cmc mentioned, should be between 80-100mm for your bike other things to watch when buying a fork:
- Unless you bike is very old your fork should have a 1 1/8 inch diameter steerer tube which is the common standard.
- If you are buying a used or OEM fork you should measure the length of your head tube and current steerer tube and be sure to know the minimum length you require as these are usually cut to size during installation.
- Last but not least , make sure the fork you are buying has V-brake mounts , these days more and more forks are disc brake only and I'm assuming you don't have discs on your M80.

As for specific models , the marzocchi mx series is a good safe bet , a rockshox tora also seems to be a good buy for about the same price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.