Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’m currently pondering the idea of a new rear shock. I’m currently on an Ohlins ttx22m coil, and honestly it hasn’t been my favorite. Already having issues deciding on coil weight when riding but the base tube just also isn’t working for me. Im thinking of switching back to air because I wouldn’t mind losing a little over a pound off my build as well.

what air shocks would everyone recommend? I’ve heard the X2 is over damped, I’d like the Mara pro but can’t find it in stock, considering the suntour triair, can’t find a topaz, also considering the super deluxe ultimate air to go with my zeb.

·
Premium Member
8,705 Posts
What bike? How much do you weigh? What type of riding? What is your riding style? What do you not like about the Ohlins? What has been done to tune the Ohlins to your bike and you?

This is all stuff we need to know to provide any useful suggestions. The shock you have is an extremely good shock, so if it is not working well, I would be exploring confirming it is working properly, whether it is properly tuned for your frame, and if it is properly setup before replacing it. Just blindly replacing it will likely not fix your issues.

Reactions: CaveGiant and KWJP

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What bike? How much do you weigh? What type of riding? What is your riding style? What do you not like about the Ohlins? What has been done to tune the Ohlins to your bike and you?

This is all stuff we need to know to provide any useful suggestions. The shock you have is an extremely good shock, so if it is not working well, I would be exploring confirming it is working properly, whether it is properly tuned for your frame, and if it is properly setup before replacing it. Just blindly replacing it will likely not fix your issues.
banshee prime v3, 185 lbs, mainly trail but often go to bike parks/pedal up and ride down type places, I ride more aggressively/like to hit all the side hits and difficult lines I can find. I've had my local Ohlins and banshee dealer put in the tune that both Ohlins and banshee agreed would be best for the frame. It made it much much better but I'm still not loving it. My cane creek coil on my last bike felt much better even with the stock tune. I've got a sprindex spring coming to hopefully help with my coil weight issues. However, I'm still not loving the weight to performance ratio and think I may be happier with an air shock, however, I'm not sure which is why I'm asking others on here.

As far as what I don't like about it, I feel like I can't get a good rebound speed. It's got 7 clicks of rebound, but, I feel like only 2 clicks are usable even after the retune.The slowest setting feels good but over repeated chatter or repeated medium hits it feels like it's packing up, if I go up one click it fixes small repeated impact packing but still packs on medium hits. If I go one more click it's rebounding too fast for my liking, at this point it starts to buck me on drops/jumps.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have couple Mara Pro's and one of the kids has a Mara Inline. They have been awesome. Hopefully they will be available again soon, I need another one.
Yeah I'd love to try one. I liked my mezzer pro while it was working so I think I'd get along with the Mara pro, but my shock size is a bit odd and manitou has none and none available on pinkbike

·
Registered
12,518 Posts
Yeah I'd love to try one. I liked my mezzer pro while it was working so I think I'd get along with the Mara pro, but my shock size is a bit odd and manitou has none and none available on pinkbike
What is your shock size?

To be honest every shock out there has it's weirdness. Your TTX22M is heavily damped on low speed compression which makes it feel dead.

·
Premium Member
8,705 Posts
I am biased, but the Mara Pro will work perfectly on your bike with you Mezzer. It is the best combo I have ridden on any bike, just feels like a motocross bike. I am faster on the combo at Northstar than I am on my DHR with and Emerald front and Jade rear. Rebound on the Mezzer is much faster than any fork I have ridden (while keeping traction) and the Mara Pro can be tuned to match. Again, I am biased.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am biased, but the Mara Pro will work perfectly on your bike with you Mezzer. It is the best combo I have ridden on any bike, just feels like a motocross bike. Rebound on the Mezzer is much faster than any fork I have ridden and the Mara Pro can be tuned to match. Again, I am biased.

View attachment 1940730
Yeah I don't have the mezzer anymore. Unfortunately I had a pretty faulty unit and my steerer was too short when I came to my banshee, so I got rid of mine. Was still a fantastic fork and I'd get another one in a heart beat. I was on an Ohlins RXF 36 m.2 coil fork for a while which is why I got the Ohlins rear, I started having issues with my Ohlins (more of an issue with my service center) fork so I've gone to a Zeb ultimate now to try that. So far the Zeb actually feels better than the Ohlins up front.

·
Premium Member
8,705 Posts
Yeah I don't have the mezzer anymore. Unfortunately I had a pretty faulty unit and my steerer was too short when I came to my banshee, so I got rid of mine. Was still a fantastic fork and I'd get another one in a heart beat. I was on an Ohlins RXF 36 m.2 coil fork for a while which is why I got the Ohlins rear, I started having issues with my Ohlins (more of an issue with my service center) fork so I've gone to a Zeb ultimate now to try that. So far the Zeb actually feels better than the Ohlins up front.
Maybe try a Monarch plus. You can have it retuned by Vorsprung or Avalanche if it isn't matching well. The prime is moderatly progressive so works pretty well with both air and coil shocks.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
I've got the 457, 480, and 502 pound coils. 457 feels best on small bumps, 480 is decent but not great all around, 502 is good for bigger hits but too stiff every where else.
Can you get your shock retuned? The Ohlins guy i work with in Seattle has been fantastic about the issues I've run into and tuning my shocks nicely.

·
Underskilled
4,934 Posts
I'm a big fan of the cane creek shocks, you can set them as lively or damped as you want.

I generally like my kit to respond fast and float over stuff, but with enough control to keep you alive.

The full sized ccdb coil or kitsuma air might be worth considering.

I use my bike from everything from cyclo-cross races to world Cup downhill courses, just a few clicks changes the character completely.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,512 Posts
My buddy rides a V3 Prime with an Elite DPX2, I don’t know the specific tune in the shock, I want to say it’s a linear-medium. I know it’s stock off the shelf;,but it honestly feels awesome to me, it’s supportive and poppy but not stiff.
we actually both agree it’s as good as the Diaz Suspension Designs custom tuned DPX2 on my 150mm Marin Alpine Trail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.