Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good tires for my bike? I have a 2009 iron horse warrior 4.0. The tires that came on the bike are already toast after 2 weeks of riding(ITS Ninjas??) Im looking at the maxxis swampthings but was wondering if I have to stick with the same width size of the original tires. The current size of the tires(ninjas) are 26x2.1 and 26x2.35. I can only find the swampthing in 2.5 is this ok? What size tires would you guys recommend? I mostly do rocky uphill, dh, jumps and trails. Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!

· Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,684 Posts
A) CHUM is a moron. And spastic. And he smells bad.

B) You can run anything that'll fit on your bike. Get a tire that's too big and it might rub on the seatstay, the chainstay, the fork, whatever.

Beside that it depends on your riding conditions and preferences. (Like CHUM said - although this is probably the only time in the history of history that he said something that's not completely wrong and stupid and annoying.)

What made the current tires toast? Did they work well aside from getting toasted? Etc., etc.

2,684 Posts
To be more clear: No, you don't need to stick with the size tires that came on your bike.

Other than that, I can't say how big you can go or what tires you'd like. Not enough info. Sorry.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so the rims I have are WTB DUAL DUTY, 32H Im in San Diego so its amazing if it rains out here (Dry) and I would say the soil/trails are more clay with some sand. The tires that I have now just wore out really really fast(backtire 2weeks). I basically want a good all around tire that could hold up with uh, dh and trails.

· Premium Member
8,727 Posts
JTreehorn said:
ok, so the rims I have are WTB DUAL DUTY, 32H Im in San Diego so its amazing if it rains out here (Dry) and I would say the soil/trails are more clay with some sand. The tires that I have now just wore out really really fast(backtire 2weeks). I basically want a good all around tire that could hold up with uh, dh and trails.
Kenda Nevegal - 2.35 front
Kenda Small Block 8 - 2.1 back

my .02

now i'm gonna get outta here before that jerk Plim teases me again.....

2,684 Posts
The whole "tire wearing out in two weeks" thing is really bizarre to me. Do you have a pic? Did the knobs just completely wear away? Sidewall tear?

For actual DH use, I disagree with Chum's suggestions - sidewalls are too fragile. A lot of people would like that combo for XC use (I do use the SB8 for dry XC), but not DH/jumps.

Seeing as the Warrior isn't a DH bike, and this is the beginners forum I have some doubts as to whether you're doing true DH stuff and really need a DH tire. (Not a criticism, and I could be wrong.)

For better feedback, the wheels and tires forum may get more responses. I know nuthin' about DH. Or maybe the SoCal forum - see what people use there on the same trails you ride.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plim said:
The whole "tire wearing out in two weeks" thing is really bizarre to me. Do you have a pic? Did the knobs just completely wear away? Sidewall tear?

For actual DH use, I disagree with Chum's suggestions - sidewalls are too fragile. A lot of people would like that combo for XC use (I do use the SB8 for dry XC), but not DH/jumps.

Seeing as the Warrior isn't a DH bike, and this is the beginners forum I have some doubts as to whether you're doing true DH stuff and really need a DH tire. (Not a criticism, and I could be wrong.)

For better feedback, the wheels and tires forum may get more responses. I know nuthin' about DH. Or maybe the SoCal forum - see what people use there on the same trails you ride.
yeah the center knobs wore down and I started getting flats pretty much every ride. By no means am I true DH..I just enjoy going down some of the hills around here and the hills are pretty steep and really rocky. So i just wanted to get something that will hold up.

2,684 Posts
I've never experienced anything like that. I bet just about any tire you buy would last longer.

My advice would be to search the tires and socal forums for tire advice threads. There are always a jillion of 'em (each complete with some smartass saying you should get tires that are round with knobs).

· Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Plim said:

Seeing as the Warrior isn't a DH bike, and this is the beginners forum I have some doubts as to whether you're doing true DH stuff and really need a DH tire. (Not a criticism, and I could be wrong.....
that's why i didn't rec ginormous rubber laden uber knobbed out hi volume 20 lb tires.....the dude has to climb....\
edit - but thicker sidewalls may be a good idea.....meh

it's not like he's railing Amassa Back in Moab (like i did on XC tires and split them both within 3 miles....blargh)

· Registered
373 Posts
Treehorn, Take a look at the WTB line of tires. They offer a good range of very high quality tires from light and racy, to tough and aggressive. You mentioned sand and clay as common terrain elments, and "dry." Sounds almost exactly like my riding environment.
I have been very impressed with WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4's. They roll fast and have really good wear longevity. They are pretty light for their beefy size and offer well rounded traction in the type of stuff you mentioned. They do however have thin sidewalls which is nice for compliance and controll, and by the sounds of it, you are not overly aggressive, so they should'nt pose an issue. The main thing you'd want to make sure of is that they won't rub anywhere when you put them on since they are fairly fat and tall.
If you get your tires at a bike shop, make sure to ask them if they'll take them back if they don't fit. They'll probably request that they install them for a small fee, but it's better than getting stuck with $80 worth of tires that don't fit!

· Ride it 'til it breaks
122 Posts
CHUM said:
Kenda Nevegal - 2.35 front
Kenda Small Block 8 - 2.1 back
I just got this exact setup on my bike 2 months ago. I really love the 2.35 nevegal and really dislike the small block 8. I actually took it off after a few rides in favor of a panaracer fire xc pro.

To be fair though, it's looser/sandier where I ride (auburn ca area). When I stood up to power up a hill I had to lean much farther back than usual to keep the tire from spinning, and that caused more front wheel drift. It's probably bad technique (I just started MTBing spring '08), but I was unhappy with it, so I don't use it anymore. It is good on hardpack though...

Also, I got the small block 8 at jenson for $15, you might try there if you want one. I recommend buying a bunch of sale tires there and seeing what you like!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.