Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tubless larsen TT are about done, ready for a new set of tires on my specialized epic. I think these make an awsome XC tire but looking for something more suitable for the local phoenix trails: T100, mcdowell mtn, south mountain etc.. Anyone recommend a good set of XC tires, either a set or mix match (front and rear)? Thanks and happy holidays!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've been running a 2.55 WTB Weirwolf front on both my squishy 29er and rigid 26" SS, love it on both bikes. Geax Saguaro on the back of the 29er, WTB Exiwolf on the back of the SS. Again, love them both. I've been running these combos for 4 months all over South Mountain and McDowell. They're fast on XC trails, offer great traction climbing, and work well with low pressure for bouncing off rocks. Running with slime tubes, they have held up very well. I've ripped the side knobs off Nevegals after just a few rides, most likely my fault and not the tires, but they did work well also.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Nevegals can be a bit soft for sure, the dual compound thing. Another good option would be a Maxxis Ignitor. They roll fast, have good grip and wear very well. Just wish Maxxis would get their prices a bit more realistic.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just put on a set of 2.35 Hutchinson Piranhas and they seem to work very nicely. Can't comment on longevity yet, but grip very nicely.

·
"No Clue Crew"
2,459 Posts
kenbentit said:
Nevegals can be a bit soft for sure, the dual compound thing. Another good option would be a Maxxis Ignitor. They roll fast, have good grip and wear very well. Just wish Maxxis would get their prices a bit more realistic.
X2 ran Nevegals for a few month and had nothing but problems due to how soft they are. Maxxis makes a few good tires. If you're AM I'd go with a Ardent.......Drew

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just finished a nice, hard ride. Took Gila Trail all the way to the west end of National, up National (some tough climbs, did some pushing), across the top to Mine Drop and ripping down. I was running 30 lbs in my Weirwolf, worked great. The Saguaro worked well, but it is starting to wear, and I had just flipped it from traction to speed to try it out, it's probably going back to traction. Also, the Saguaro has a rib that runs radially around the tire that is about half the depth of the knobs, as the tire wears enough the rib will always make contact, and less so the center knobs, we'll see how that works. I am always thinking about what may be better tires for this area, so I will watch this thread with interest, although it will be tough for me to try something else on front, I like the Weirwolf that much. I'm having good luck with more, smaller knobs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was initially running the larsen TT on the front and back, but had a panracer fireXC pro tubless laying around so i put it up front. seems to be working ok for now. looks like the geax suguaro might be worth a try this season. thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
655 Posts
The Saguaro comes in a Performance model and a TNT model. The first one I had was a Performance, I took out the sidewall up near the waterfall on National. I put on the TNT (Tube No Tube), same tread just much tougher casing, and have had excellent luck. 32 psi rear, no problems, I'm about 200 lbs geared up.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Geax DHEA

I'm really liking the Geax DHEA on front at 25psi ghetto tubeless(split 20" tube)

In back I have been extremely surprised at the climbing traction of a Minion DHF turned backwards at 27psi.

This is a good match, as the DHEA is 2.3, but more like a 2.5, and the Minion is 2.3 but more like a 2.2 or 2.25. Makes for a really good combo for me.:thumbsup:

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
second the weirwolf as a great front tire. they were designed for downieville which is also really rough on tires. they have great sidewalls, durable thread, and grip well in the turns while still being fairly fast- a bit heavy though.

rear tires- phythons are holding up really well for me on my flux. i haven't had much luck with the larsens- too soft. ignitor is a good tire for the rear.

nevegals- i like em, but i'd say go with the panaracer rampage instead. much more durable tread and equal performance and pretty much identical tread pattern- great front tires.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I was always happy with a Captain 2bliss on the front and a Fast Trak 2 bliss on the rear when I had my Epic. Some guys run the double Fast Trak, but I washed out on the front with it and preferred the grip of the Captain. I also like Captain on front with Small Block Eight on the rear as well. They wear a little faster but found them really fast and love the traction before they wear out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.