Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my old tires with a set of CST Caballero tires, but I ride mainly in the bike lanes or the sidewalk, and a little bit of curb hopping to take a shortcut or avoid crowded sidewalks. Anyway, the Caballero's seem to make my bike a lot harder to pedal than my last set of tires, which I believe were Bell Tractions. What is a good tire (and well priced) that is good for my situation? 90% street and 10% dirt or grass. I have also fallen before, so I'd like something with a bit of grip... are the Caballero's overkill?

2013 GT Aggressor 2.0 26"

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yeah, that tire is way too aggressive for the type of riding you're talking about. For mostly street riding, you want slick, not knobby, with very minimal, if any, tread. Slick tires will be much grippier on the street, even in the rain (bike tires don't hydroplane), and much faster too. Fat, slick tires are fine for dirt and grass paths too, just watch it in the corners.

There are many many different models of tires that would work for you, I'm not sure I could recommend just one. Avoid Bell, or any other Walmart/Box Store brand. Get tires at a real bike shop. If you have a Performance in your town, they usually have good deals on tires. There's good deals on-line too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Determine your tire size (diameter and width) by locating the tire size numbers on the sidewall of the tire. As an example we’ll use the common size of 26 x 2.1

Identify which one of the two wheel systems you ride

Determine what you will DO on the tires, so you know the basic style of tire and tread you’re looking for.

Know what type and range of terrain you’ll be riding to help you determine.

Determine the two or three most important things you want your tires to do best.

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I actually just ordered a set of these, as they got good reviews and were well priced. If they don't work out, I'll try the continentals

Amazon.com : Kenda K838 Slick Wire Bead Bicycle Tire, Blackwall, 26-Inch x 1.95-Inch : Bike Tires : Sports & Outdoors
Looks like a good choice too. One thing to watch out for with tyres with a centre groove in the tread is that it makes the tread thin right at the highest pressure point and hence more prone to punctures; keep an eye on this area to make sure not little bits of glass, etc. are working their way in there which could lead to an eventual puncture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.