Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out I get to spend a few hours at Annadel tomorrow while my wife visits some clients in the area. I will be taking a rigid drop-bar 26er, as it breaks down easily and fits in the trunk of the car she insists on taking (instead of the van with the bike rack).

I want to stop at my LBS and grab some tires that will work well for the conditions this time of year.

The bike I am taking normally has Conti commuter tires on WTB FX28 rims. I usually take those wheels off and swap in a set with 2.1 WTB Weirwolf tires. Due to the rocky nature of Annadel, I wanted to find something that would give my rigid ride some cush and control.

I have a front fork that will take a really wide tire (Surly Instigator) so I can get away with anything recommended. The rear of the frame is a little tight, but I could probably go a little wider than the 2.1's.

I will be replacing the commuter tires on the FX28's with whatever I pick up.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Spec. Purgatory 2.4, Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 are good but you won't find the schwalbe at any lbs in santa rosa

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks enicma. I will be looking for the tires in the Roseville/Sacramento area.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Rigid with drop bars? Maybe some 6 inch balloons :)
I guess the biggest that will fit your bike.

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rigid with drop bars? Maybe some 6 inch balloons :)
I guess the biggest that will fit your bike.
I would love big balloon tires, like the fatbikes. Alas, this is not one of those. It is a commute/adventure/do everything bike that is based on an aluminum mountain frame. Solid front end with a Surly Instigator fork and an FSA Pig DH-Pro headset. It has handled my Clydesdale-ass riding it all over the Placer county trails, the SF peninsula trails, and the Marin trails. First time for me at Annadel, so I thought I would tweak the ride for comfort and control.

Riding this hardtail at Annadel wont be any worse than riding my old Ross Mt Whitney down Mammoth Mountain back in the 80's.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Purgatory 2.4 and conti trail king 2.4.

i'd pour 3 ounces of stans in it and run it super low. Annadel on a rigid bike doesn't sound fun though.

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Don't wory

Purgatory 2.4 and conti trail king 2.4.

i'd pour 3 ounces of stans in it and run it super low. Annadel on a rigid bike doesn't sound fun though.
It will be fun. Well most of the ride will.:D

Personally I'd get a 2.4 MutanoRaptor for the front, maybe a 2.3 Bronson may fit in back, or get the 2.1. Your front is were you want cush anyway, a hardtail is a hardtail.

·
roadie
744 Posts
i don't have real input since i've never been to Annadel.. but you know that annoying cars.com commercial?

that's how these make me feel:

·
Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
994 Posts
Riding this hardtail at Annadel wont be any worse than riding my old Ross Mt Whitney down Mammoth Mountain back in the 80's.
That was my first mtb and I used to rock that thing all over Annadel... But that was Annadel 20 years ago. Have fun that place is punishment :D

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Annadel rigid is fine - been doing that the last 6 years now... Another tire to consider is the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 - really fat 2.4 that is fairly "tall" so good cushion potential. Lotsa good recommendations overall - JMac47 rides there a ton, so his 26" tire rec's are probably as good as you'll get...

·
Registered
913 Posts
It will be fun. Well most of the ride will.:D

Personally I'd get a 2.4 MutanoRaptor for the front, maybe a 2.3 Bronson may fit in back, or get the 2.1. Your front is were you want cush anyway, a hardtail is a hardtail.
Another vote for the Mutano 2.4, which is about the same size as their 2.2 only with smaller knobs. Fast rolling, good side grip, reasonably light weight - I love that tire's versatility. Wish they would make a 29er version of it. And I know I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Ross Mount Hood

That was my first mtb and I used to rock that thing all over Annadel... But that was Annadel 20 years ago. Have fun that place is punishment :D
was my first mtn bike. '85 or '86 I think. It had a pink fork and stem.

Annadel seems a lot rockier than when I rode there last, three years ago.

Attachments

·
Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
994 Posts
Wow... That's hot! Lol. Mine was splatter paint... Thankfully I think there is no picture evidence of that bike :p

·
NedwannaB
12,784 Posts
Not sure anyone asked

Just found out I get to spend a few hours at Annadel tomorrow while my wife visits some clients in the area.

Any recommendations?
Are/were you looking for tires just for this ride? With all the suggestions from the interwebz jockies I'm surprised you could decide?:confused:

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all for the recommendations. I ended up running out of time before I had to call it a night. I had settled on the WTB Bronson 2.3 for the front, WTB Bronson 2.1 or Weirwolf 2.1 for the rear, but no shop in my area had the Bronson. I was at The Hub in Roseville looking at the WTB tires and was getting a nice education by one of the guys there on what they did have to offer when I got a call to pick up my kid, had to leave and never made it back to settle on a tire and make my purchase.

I ended up just saying "F-it!" and went with my Mavic XM 719/XT hub wheels with WTB Weirwolf 2.1's.

Could not take my full suspension as it will not fit into the trunk of the car my wife insisted she drive (she had to visit clients, and driving my van, "The Can", just would not go over very well), so I had to have the full rigid...no choice, but beggars can't be choosers...at least I got to go ride.

I entered Annadel via Parktrail drive and the Veterans trail. Went into the park on the Spring Creek trail. Freakin rocky....no fun to climb. I went around the lake and hit Louis trail, enjoying the rocks even that much more.Got onto Burma...started enjoying a bit more...then I got a call from my wife that her meetings went a bit short...damn! Had to retrace my route and get back out of the park to meet with her. Did not get to the trails I wanted to ride on, under the evergreen forest.

So my only impression of Annadel is bouncy, cluttered, rocky trail. I tell you, if you ride that crap with full rigid single speed like I heard some of you do, you are freaking cycling gods! For the most part, riding there was interesting because it was new, and the scenery was really beautiful. The challenge was nice, but I was really thinking about beer and hot-tubs before too long. My fillings are a little loose and a kidney is probably not doing so well after the jarring ride I had. Going back down Spring Creek, as I was pressed for time, I eventually had to say "Screw this!" and just let up of the brakes. I have to admit I was probably riding a weeeeee bit over the specified speed limit for the trail, but when you are flowing fast and spending as much time in the air as you can the bumps hurt a hell of a lot less on a full rigid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts