Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tell my wife I'm going to ride my bike down to the mailboxes to pickup the mail.*
"Real quick"..as we have a busy day planned.
What I really want to do is test out my new fork on the loading docks behind the ralphs..

First attempt. Sweet!!
Second attempt, flatboy to the shin! Why would I wear my shinguards to get the mail!?

10 stitches and 3 hours later, that mailbox trip sure was dangerous!

Any similar bonehead stories?

·
Ride, Jump, Pray, Land
140 Posts
Our mail comes through our door. That excuse would never work. My wife will just say to me "Hey why don't you go ride your bike"

·
Registered
913 Posts
First of all... ouch.

Originally Posted by imsorrywhat
Any similar bonehead stories?
And you bet. I recently bought a two year old factory leftover bike frame for a steal. When I opened the box, the rear shock had yet to be installed... no problem. I fiddled around with mounting it and finally decided that backwards from the norm (air canister towards the rear of the bike) allowed easier access to the rebound and air valve.

I built up the rest of the bike and was so excited to test ride it. I rode two blocks down the street and rode off a high curb. Then I heard a 'woosh' of air. Flat? Nope, tire is fine. What was that? Then I looked at the rear shock which was now sagging and :madman:

I never checked shock clearance as the suspension cycles. I crushed the air valve and broke the seal on the air canister (A special thank you to Rock Shox for making the most delicate valve assembly ever on the Monarch). Had to send it back to Rock Shox to get rebuilt. Definitely a bonehead moment.

·
Registered
153 Posts
youre gonna have some awsome shin scars^

similiar stories? yep:

we were riding a DH trail, testing my new frame (which is super awsome!! :D )

i was nailing everything perfect and rode everything super smooth, than in the 5th run or so i finished the trail and my friend was waiting at the bottom, i came in full speed and tried to drift (that was after the end of the trail :madman: ) rear brake wasnt working, i got swung off the bike and slid on the dirt and...

661 racelites suck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts