Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the epic ride several others posted but a lot of fun. Last year I went up with my (then 6 yo) and his 16" bike. Most issues he ran into were due to wheel size. Over the past year he got upgraded to a 24" with gears. He's a happy camper when his bike goes up on the roof rack with daddy's bike.
Went up the Emigrant Trail for a few miles. This was his first true single track experience with ups, downs, rocks etc. I let him lead the whole way, take breaks where he wanted to. I could see altitude was having an impact. This ride was about 5 miles total. Our normal flat bike path ride is about 12 miles.
Anywho,
1) This is the evolving rider.
2) Then him working an uphill. He then rode all the downhills with some minor coaching. (keep pedals flat, brake before the corner, roll the rock vs trying to scurry around it etc). Give him a few years and he'll be leaving me behind.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,088 Posts
Way to go dad. Looks like fun. I need to find some semi-level smooth trails to take my son on. I've had some good experiences with my seven year old as well.... however we went out the other day with his friend and they switched bikes for awhile and then all of a sudden... his old bike wasn't good enough and he kinda made a scene when his friend wanted to switch back and I lost patience with him and the only thing that got him to perk up was my suggestion that we go looking at new bikes this weekend. He's really outgrown his little 16 inch bmx style bike but (up until now) has resisted trying anything else.

What bike did yours get?

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Giant 225 (might be a 255) The models have changed on the website
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?range=273

It took him a bit to get used to gears and hand brakes but he's picked up quickly. The gears are SRAM twisties. The other nice thing about it is the adjustable stem. That'll allow the bike to last a little longer as he gets bigger..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.