Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lurking around on the Turner former I found this link that does a good job of demonstrating the value of a Horst link suspension. The Horst link was one of the main reasons I went with my Moto-lite over the Yeti 575. I'm still not sure if it's all marketing hype or not, but posts like this make it seem like there's something to it.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
dulyebr said:
Lurking around on the Turner former I found this link that does a good job of demonstrating the value of a Horst link suspension. The Horst link was one of the main reasons I went with my Moto-lite over the Yeti 575. I'm still not sure if it's all marketing hype or not, but posts like this make it seem like there's something to it.
Duly,

The TNT vs ICT posts have been epic. some have been silly. but personally I don't think you can compare those results and apply it to justify motolite HL performance.

to me, the HL pivot is just another way for the suspension designer to get the results he wants. so to me all HL type bikes are not equal. it still comes down to the designer and the construction. HL or not HL is but a minor contribution to the whole bike design.

My supermoto and motolite suspension act very differently. The supermoto is more active and more plush. The motolite seems to be less active but pedals better. It pedals like magic. To me each suits the intended application of the bike. The same is true in regards to the geometry. Titus designs good bikes.

I think the HL is an advantage, but don't count the single pivots out. They are good bikes. Designed by smart people with a passion for cycling.

Yeti 575 is a rad bike. I bought my motolite over the 575 because I like titus and I thought the ML would be more durable.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm probably more sensitive to it as I came off a single pivot (Cannondale Jekyll), and I hated the fact that the bike would noticeably squat under torque causing me to lose traction up steep stuff. The rear would also become semi-active with the rear brake engaged. This caused the rear tire to skip over rocks, traction and handling suffered greatly.

The suspension squat (uphill), and semi-active rear-end (downhill) aren't things I have experienced since I started riding my Horst linked Titus.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
dulyebr said:
I'm probably more sensitive to it as I came off a single pivot (Cannondale Jekyll), and I hated the fact that the bike would noticeably squat under torque causing me to lose traction up steep stuff. The rear would also become semi-active with the rear brake engaged. This caused the rear tire to skip over rocks, traction and handling suffered greatly.

The suspension squat (uphill), and semi-active rear-end (downhill) aren't things I have experienced since I started riding my Horst linked Titus.
no doubt. I had same 2 issues with my old marin and my even older proflex 856. I was very excited about getting a 4 bar rig. and my titus did not disapoint. the braking traction on my supermoto is insane.

but in comparison, I ride my buddies yeti ASX every now and then. its not better or worse. just different. comparing SM 7inch FR to ASX. the ASX is a pound lighter. which is a huge differance to some people. . he has broken the rear swingarm once....pedal feedback on the ASX is very noticible, but the ASX stiffens when you pedal, so it climbes fireroad better.

its not better or worse. just different.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
The thing I most noticed the first time I got on my ML, was peddling in the rough over my previous single pivot. I ran off the trail where I expected to be stopped in my tracks normaly on my other fs but it just floated right along. Needless to say at that very moment I was sold. And that was only the first of many superior handling aspects I would soon discover of my ML. Many of wich of course have nothing much to do with the HL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.