Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so my attempt at converting to tubeless today failed miserably (WTB LaserDisc Trail 29er, CaffeLatex kit); both wheels leaked like a sieve! I guess I didn't do a very good job with the tape, though I did press it in tightly and put tubes in them for over 24 hours. Still, the spokes were spewing CL like crazy. The beads sealed up... sort of. When the spoke leaks let all the air out, the beads would start to leak again.

Anyway, it got me to wondering about Good Stuff expanding foam. If I put a small bit in each spoke hole, then trimmed the excess level with the bed, then did the taping thing, do you think that would fill and seal the leaks at the spokes? Just a small bit of foam that expands to fill the area shouldn't weigh too much.

Back to standard configuration for the moment, but still planning on getting rid of the tubes soon!

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
The foam idea will probably work; I like it, pretty creative. However, you are right that you didn't do a great job with the taping if you had it leaking from the spoke holes ... nothing against you, it's not exactly super easy.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, no worries... I have no problem admitting when I made a mistake. They seemed to start sealing, but then got worse. It has to be the tape. I guess the build could have a little to do with it, but in the end, it comes down to the tape job to seal the spokes.

Anyone have a picture of a good tape job so I can compare that with what mine looks like?

I might give the foam a try after I get back from my hut-to-hut ride next week.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shark said:
I'm not familiar with the caffe latex kit. Does it come with it's own tape?

I have had very good luck with gorilla tape to seal up a WTB trail disc wheelset (26").
Yes, it does.

Let me ask something else: when putting the tape in, should I be cutting it so it only covers the bottom of the rim bed or should I press it in and allow it to come up the side of the channel? Seems to me that coming up the sides is what created gaps that let the filler get out through the spokes.

Pivot - if using closed cell foam, once it cures, I thought it was supposed to be airtight for up to some value of pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.