Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Formerly NattyBoh74...
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know where any good steep downhill trails are located around here? im in the baltimore region and would drive to them a good ways, but im not sure if there is even anything. there is ONE steep trail and thats off of buzzards rock ( down the face of the mountain ) and im not even sure if thats a bike or foot trail? but anyway, if someone can help me out that would be cool.Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
GW Natl Forest along the VA-WV border, tons of stuff, but I have to have someone show me around when I go. You can google it, and I know some book stores or outdoor stores (REI) on the VA side of DC will have maps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Agree. GWNF has sme of the best trails anywhere. I live in the Staunton area and ride West of here in the Stokesville, Braley Pond, Reddish Knob areas. You will be hard pressed to find as many trails better in other areas. This area is where they have the Shenandoah Mountain 100 every year. If they can link 100 miles of singletrack I am sure you will find soethin you'll also like. The best map of this area is the National Geopgraphic Trails Illustrated map number 791.You should be able to find it at most hiking stores.

·
Formerly NattyBoh74...
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok let me ask you this... whast the LONGEST steep trail line that you can make out of the map 791 area? i dont want to go there and the trails arent that long. im not big int climbing hills tho i kno it has to be done. but if i can avoid it then awesome. Thanks hope im not being too greedy :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check out the Shenandoah Mountain Trail north of Deerfield (aka Southern Traverse) enter Benson Run road, climb up to ridge, then you get 22miles of ridetop riding then come back to your car via easy spin on pavement. An epic ride if ever. Also Narrowback, Lookout Mountain, Heartbreeak trail, and Dowells are super sweet trails that are a little shorter. If your just into it for the downhills shuttle up to Reddish knob and bomb down timber ridge, to either wolf ridge or hearthstone ridge, which are great fun. The climb up to Reddish isn't really that bad either, and you know what they say "You got to climb a lot to descend a little"

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sherman Gap (Elizabeth Furnace) is crazy steep and loose off the top. You will play hell getting to the top. It is soooo worth it though.

Another steep one is the trail off of Big Schloss (Great North mtn).

Even if you don't normally drop your seatpost going downhill, you will for these.

Shuttle service not available.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mroneeyedboh said:
ok let me ask you this... whast the LONGEST steep trail line that you can make out of the map 791 area? i dont want to go there and the trails arent that long. im not big int climbing hills tho i kno it has to be done. but if i can avoid it then awesome. Thanks hope im not being too greedy :)
I guess the question is are you looking to do real downhilling with a 35+ lbs. rig or just like hitting downhills on your run of the mill XC/Trail/All-mountain type of ride? Either way, you want to check out the 'Shed in Frederick. I don't know where all the DH runs are, but there more than few out there. If you'd like to check out more XC stuff, I or any number of people can show you around. Posting maps or specific directions is frowned upon, but ask someone offline to take up there and you'll find what you're looking for.

punga!

·
Formerly NattyBoh74...
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive been to the shed, and yes its nice, but alota peple up thee arent too friendly. esp when i go really close, on that basically one lane road. the people were flying down it and flyin up it when i was leaving. and when i was back there i think trail 6 maybe? i see the kids back there that were building the ladders and all. They didn't say a single word responce to my hello. So, in that case im going to have to find someone on here. Oh and another thing, seems as if hardtails are frowned upon there as well...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.