Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hey...

So I just picked up an '06 Identiti frame at a steal, and I want to convert to SS. I'm running 24"s.

Right now, I have a 36H Halo Combat rim in white, and I would like to get a dedicated SS disc hub, 135mm with a 10mm thru axle (3/8ths). It's got the QR combat hub now; it sucks balls, and I don't want a QR hub on a SS.

What would you guys suggest? In other words, what's your call on the best performing, least expensive, dedicated SS hub, 135mm with a 10mm TA? I don't care about weight right now, and I'm keeping my front 20mm hub (it's a red line, sucks I know, but it's ok for now).

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Yo! said:
Hell yea brotha!

$36 is what I'm talking about....

Next best thing was a Surly at $90....

How do these two compare?
Dude...the Odyssey driver mechanism is great...I've got a Odyssey Hazard v2 2 piece driver and a V3 1 piece 10 tooth driver hub and both are holding up great. Both are loud too...if you care. If the Nashbar hubs are anything like the Odyssey ones, they're bombproof. :thumbsup:

Can't go wrong in my opinion!

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
A Grove said:
I see 49$ not 36$. But either way, heard great things of these hubs, will be picking one up in a few weeks for my new wheelset.
Haha that's nashbar for you! Buy one quick before the price goes up to 62$ in 15 minutes!!!

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
Damn, they were $35 when I posted that!
Don't know much about the surly hubs... I do know that the nashbar is very easy to maintain, very solid, has sealed bearings, and will accept a driver. (You'll need a new pair of bearings too) I don't think it can be beat if you can catch the price at $35 again.

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Profile is the absolute best, but very $$. Hope Pro II is also extremely great, but again pricey.

The Nashbar/Woodman SS hub is the cheapest one out there. I had a ton of issues with mine, but an Oddy driver would solve the problem. My issue was the pawl spring was not strong enough to open all 4 pawls at the same time. One was a bit slower causing a "snapping" noise when pedaled hard. But again a new Oddy driver would make the hub incredible.

And yes they are heavy at over 600g. But for the price it is a good deal. I actually still have my Woodman and my Nashbar hub if anyone needs/wants one on the cheap. **spam**...:)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am so pissed.

I was holding off on that hub until I was certain I could get my 36H wheel and of course the price went up.

I called Nashbar to see if they'd match it from last night and the lady laughed at me. What a skank.

Anyway, what driver do I need to get for this hub from Odyssey if I were to upgrade it?

I went to their site and they don't seem to sell the drivers through their online store...

As an update; I searched online for Nashbar promotions, and if you type in holiday08, you'll get 10% off. Nice.

·
Registered
913 Posts
no dont get that NS hub. its got a damn freewheel. They are crap. i hate them. when you start going small (13tooth) the bearings get smaller and they die very quickly, at least in my experience anyway. I'd go for the NS pro SS. uses a driver. the eatern cassette hub also seems ok and for a very decent price.
i've got a last zakk hub on the way. been waiting months for it as it is sooooo popular. must be good. its built by the germans. they are a good bunch of engineers them germans they is

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.