Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pk so i think I have decided on a single pivot over a 4 bar, VPP, DW etc because of the ease of maintenance and added strength of only one moving part. my budget is 600 to 700 and i would be fine with going used

i was looking at hecklers but i was wondering what else was out there? Morewoods look sweet but nobody seems to sell them used and the same with mountain cycle Furys
what other brands/models should I be looking at? thanks all

·
Registered
764 Posts
Seriously, find a Sinister Splinter MX and never look back. I have been on one for a couple of years and use it for everything. New England singletrack to BC's gravity fed goodness. It pedals well, has perfectly predictable travel, fully adjustable geometry, legendary build quality. Even on the nastiest runs down Whistler, I have never wished for any more travel. Match it up with a Pike, Lyrik, Totem, Marz 66 or a Fox 36 RC2 and you are GOLDEN.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Heckler hands down. I regret selling mine and if I didn't get the deal I got on my Mission I would buy another one. The Bullit is also a good choice but with alot more weight and travel. But I still think the Santa Cruz Heckler is the best value in all mountain.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I would recommend Foes, since no cost range was specified. Foes focuses on stiffness, using swinglinks to stiffen the rear ends and protect the shocks from sideloading. Their mains are also low, in a fairly conventional location. That might fit the bill, and you can order Curnutts or DHX's.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I'm with ^

the FXR is far superior to all the high and mid pivot frames I've owned or tried and even better than the other low single pivot bikes I've tried. Foes is also unfortunately far more expensive than any other single pivot bike out there.
The reason I say it's superior is that the high pivots I've ridden (Bullit, old Foes Weasel) and mid pivot (Jeckyl) use chain tension to provide a pedal platform, but if you'r on the gas and hit a bump that chain tension will fight you at the pedals to varying degrees; you don't get that with the Foes.
it's a better steep climber than the Ventana El Salt I rode (4") due to the squat I experienced at climbing limits, even though the El Salt was set up for a guy 15 lbs heavier than me, and although the el salt squatted too much on steep climbs the bike never used the full stroke of the shock on the DH.

·
Registered
764 Posts
There area couple of Splinters for sale on one of the other boards(RM), and they happen to be right in your price range. The GRUITR is pretty cool too, but new, so pricey still.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
If you are interested at all in a Mountain Cycle Fury, you should contact
John K. at.

[email protected]

They sometimes have leftovers or half off frames.
If you have a 7.5 X 2" shock laying around, they can sometimes offer a frame with no shock for a considerable discount.
I've ridden a Fury at Interbike and have also ridden a Heckler.
The Fury is more nimble and rigid.
Not that a SC Heckler is a bad bike though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea i saw that splinter on RM and it is sweet looking, im looking to buy in a few weeks so im sure itll be gone but ill keep any eye out. how heavy are those, it looks heavy with all that linkage?

for SP frames you can use either a coil or air right, because i know that some other designs ie yeti 575 are designed for air over coil or vice versa?

·
Registered
389 Posts
few suggestions

i picked up an 07 yeti 575 on ebay for under 700. if you're patient you may be able to find one. i have ridden and also like the prophet and heckler. however, i never could get used to the lefty. that bike will climb up anything.
it was pretty damn cool to build up my own although it got pricey. regardless, i am pumped i am on the yeti now.

you can find some of the haro bikes for very cheap as well. i have an older xc single pivot of their's and it definitely gets the job done.

·
Registered
764 Posts
pablo4429 said:
yea i saw that splinter on RM and it is sweet looking, im looking to buy in a few weeks so im sure itll be gone but ill keep any eye out. how heavy are those, it looks heavy with all that linkage?

for SP frames you can use either a coil or air right, because i know that some other designs ie yeti 575 are designed for air over coil or vice versa?
The Splinter is not the lightest frame out there, but all the weight is dead centre and low, so even though it sounds cliche, it really does ride like it is 5 or 6 lbs lighter than it actually is. Besides they are tough as balls. I do not know why, but the bike pedals really well, too.

I know a bunch of people who run air on their Splinters, although the DHX Air won't work without special rocker plates (that are no longer available). Good responses on the RP3 (I think) though. I run mine with a DHX5 coil and love it. I had the 5th on it for a while and it was decent too.

Send the guy selling it a PM and tell him your timeline. Maybe you'll be in luck. Check the Sinister boards as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.